Old 07-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

2018 Basecamp
​2020 Atlas​
Edmonds , Washington
BaseCamp Battery Hook-UP

Can someone post a picture of the battery hook-up for the basecamp please? I removed the batteries for winter storage and I am unsure of the correct re-install. Thanks
Wrightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
I don't have a picture but I took mine apart yesterday in preparation for removing the battery box and installing (larger) LiFePO4 batteries, so I can describe the orientation from memory

Mine were the Lifeline AGM batteries that come with the solar package.

The two 12 v batteries were wired in parallel. They had the Negative terminals toward the front of the trailer. The Red wire from the battery box pass-through was attached to the positive terminal on the battery furthest from the road side of the trailer (so closer to the cabin and the shower). The Black wire from the pass through was attached to the negative terminal on the roadside battery (so towards the front of the trailer on the battery further away from you). Then the two battery positives were connected by a short red wire attached with larger bolts (in terms of the size of socket needed) and the two negatives were connected by the short black wire attached with smaller bolts.

I should have thought to take a picture.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
New Cumberland , Pennsylvania
BC Battery Install

Here's a pic of my battery install in 2017 BC

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCBattery.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	372812  
crozsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
A purist would want the cable lengths to each battery to be equal and symmetric -- so in the picture that crozr provided it would be better to have the red wire from the battery box feed through to be attached to the positive on one battery and the black wire to be attached to the negative of the other battery.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

2018 Basecamp
​2020 Atlas​
Edmonds , Washington
Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for such a quick response.
Wrightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Concord , CA
LiFePO4 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basecamp19 View Post
I don't have a picture but I took mine apart yesterday in preparation for removing the battery box and installing (larger) LiFePO4 batteries, so I can describe the orientation from memory

The two 12 v batteries were wired in parallel. They had the Negative terminals toward the front of the trailer. The Red wire from the battery box pass-through was attached to the positive terminal on the battery furthest from the road side of the trailer (so closer to the cabin and the shower). The Black wire from the pass through was attached to the negative terminal on the roadside battery (so towards the front of the trailer on the battery further away from you). Then the two battery positives were connected by a short red wire attached with larger bolts (in terms of the size of socket needed) and the two negatives were connected by the short black wire attached with smaller bolts.

I have a 2021 BaseCamp 16X on order and am trying to decide on the factory 180W solar option for $2400, or buying two quality group 24 80ah AGM batteries for $700, two 160W renology flexible solar panels for $600 to plug into the exterior plug, and upgrade the solar controler to a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 Solar Charge Controller for $320and a Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor with Battery Temperature Sensor for $230. This would cost all in $1850 and be a better system than the factory option. Maybe eventually mounting them to the roof as the solar wiring to the roof is there with or without the solar option. I am also interested in the LiFePO4 batteries but from what I understand the charge controler would also need to be replaced. Any info on your solar setup and LiFePO4 conversion would be very helpful.
16XBoondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Concord , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basecamp19 View Post

@Basecamp19

I am interested in the LiFePO4 battery setup you are installing. Any information would be great!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Here is a pic of my basecamp with factory solar and agm batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE38F7FD-D823-4797-8A22-1AA2EF502B9B.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	375462  
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Concord , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolind View Post
Here is a pic of my basecamp with factory solar and agm batteries.
Thanks for the pic. It looks like there is some extra room in the box. Do you happen to have the inside dimensions (L X W X H) for the battery box? From your photo it appears group 27 batteries would fit.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Sorry donít have dimensions.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
Basecamp 16 X Battery Box Dimensions (2019 model year )

The battery box is a complicated structure -- it has two wells that and a steel member that straddle a trailer steel frame member and then a rectangular section above the two wells below a cushioned top. Though the top and the outside vent implies the box is sealed, it has big gaps in the bottom parts.

Each well is about 10 1/4" high (to the top of the box) , 11" long, and 6 7/8" wide. The space at the top above the wells is 4 3/4" High (included in the 10 1/4 for the wells) x 12 3/8" x 16 1/2.

In installing two ReLiOn 100ah LiFePO4 batteries I took the box out, filled the areas on either side of the frame with insulation, and installed the batteries on their sides sitting at floor level -- they end up almost level with the top of the bottom shelf so I installed an 1/8" lexan sheet on top to serve as the shelf for the opening.