Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 AM   #1
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Thumbs down Basecamp - $28,000us

I saw the basecamp, check at Colonial Airstream.
28.000$ !!!!
For 31.000$ you get a Bambi 16' Safari with shower, toilet, kitchen, a real one not a poor sink with a poor burner, a coach, I mean everything that an Airstream is known for 75 years.
And I don't even talk about a used unit.

Advise for resellers : if somebody ask for a Basecamp, hide immediatly all the other units. Because to me you must be out of mind to purchase a 28.000$ emptied shell.
Of course the only benefit is the weight. 1.000 lbs less heavy than the 16' safari.
Good luck for those who want to go with that.

What are your thought about that...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, so much for appealing to 'entry level' buyers. Sounds like it needs an 'entry level' price if they want to do that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I've never been able to figure why people buy what they do, that goes for Airstreams, Harleys, Mac Mansions and Hummers.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I've seen new pop ups for over $12K, and thought that was insane
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The BaseCamp we saw on the road a couple of weeks ago was stunning as it sped by, but $$$$$$$$$???? No way! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I understand that the BaseCamps have a fiberglass roof. Add the Kelty tent roof and aluminum sides you're talking the same materials in a pop-up. Why $28K, I ask?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I too have seen it and felt it was a bit on the steep side $$$-wise

I believe the "added bonus market" they are trying to attract is the toy-hauler crowd. The way it is outfitted, you can haul an ATV or a couple of motorcycles inside it. Although, I can't imagine trying to keep it cean enough to live in, having to unload "toys" every night or wanting to sleep in my garage

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Hi,

Price aside, to carry a full size motorcycle, offer reasonably comfortable camping facilities and be able to be towed by a small truck, nothing else seems to touch it, at any price. Keeping it clean is easy with its rubber floor covering and living in it is not the idea. It is intended to be a base camp....not a home on wheels. Unloading the toy every night while en-route is a pain but that is not the paradigm. Once you arrive at your destination, then you unload the toy and keep it out. Then you setup your base camp. For those of us who used to be backpackers and/or tent campers, this is a major step up without the complexity of a full size trailer. Please, keep an open mind. Regards, Jerry
JerryMcMunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I think it's all relative.

I recently saw a 34' SO for over $100K. That's a good chunk of money too! But you can't get your ATV or motorcycle in the 34 so it's function would be considered limited by those who want to do that.

It's all relative, but it's all good!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Jerry,

Welcome! Being a motorcyclist (along with a ton of other toys) it's always a challenge to pack for my Summer journeys and be able to include ALL of the toys necessary for a good time!

I wish that my 19CCD had a way to carry more of the goodies that I have to cram into my Sprinter. The Basecamp looks really good, but I might consider one a little larger (next generation?) with a few more amenities to sustain one for a longer adventure of ....say.....2-3 months like the CCD will.

Good luck with it and enjoy the h*ll out of it!!!!!

I firmly believe that you get what you pay for....................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Hey Lew,

Thanks for the welcome. BTW, we used to live on NE Alameda in Portland. I still miss the Northwest!! :-(

Ben Owen, the Basecamp product manager, told us that a larger model was being considered for a future generation. Keep the faith.

I strongly agree with the notion that you get what you pay for..............

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I got to check out a few Base Camps at a dealer last month. Apparently, a lot of you folks have never actually been inside a Base Camp. If you had, you wouldn't be comparing it with any variety of traditional RV. I found it shockingly roomy, very much more stylish than any conventional toy hauler, and far more clever than I expected. It has this amazing quality of seeming larger inside than it does outside. It's not in competition with pop-ups, or Bambis, or anything sold by anyone else. It's a whole different deal.

I expect the typical buyers will be couples in their late 20s, early 30s who both work, probably in cities. They drive Volvo or BMW SUVs, and they have more free money than free time. So on the weekends and holidays, they like to get out of town for some fun. They used to do tent camping, and they maybe have a couple of quads or dirt bikes, and it's getting hard to haul all of that around in the X3. So they figure they can load the toys in the back of the Base Camp, and take off.

Like I said, a whole different deal. I'm pretty happy to see Airstream spread out into a more youthful direction myself. The big traditional Airstream trailers that the rest of us have are great, but let's not forget that early Airstreams were high tech and revolutionary.

There's a quote in the new book "Wanderlust: Airstream at 75" that I like. It's from an Airstream dealer named Jim Dandy Cooley. He says "Airstream is the lighthouse drawing people to the RV lifestyle." If that's true, the Base Camp is shining the light in a completely new direction.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Hi AgZep,

You are right, it's a different paradigm. I think you "get it" but based on our experience the market is much broader than most people seem to perceive.
The many people asking for tours seem to be 40+ and are interested in a less complex trailer..........no sewage to deal with, no special hitches, no need for a big tow vehicle. One owner with whom we have communicated is an artist who wants to take herself and her products to flea markets in it.
I think AS has underestimated its flexibility and the breadth of market appeal. Finally, I agree that it is good to see AS introducing a completely new product that has the potential of being appealing to a broader (& perhaps more youthful) market segment.

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 05-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
Who wants a BC

The last few postings generally capture the basic premise that most consider in a BC. We used to tent camp with the kids. Kids are now on their own, (well, almost!) The desire is now to a) have a measure of comfort while enjoying the campground experience, b) bring along the ultimate "touring" vehicle for new adventures wherever we make camp...the Harley, and c) not have to acquire a much higher rated towing capacity. Being in our mid - late fifties, this seemed like a great alternative to the more traditional approach, as I don't want to be strapped with a high level of maintenance often necessary with a larger RV.

I pull with a GMC Envoy with an in-line six, with ease. You arrive at your site, unload the bike, attach the tent, and the rest is as expected. We normally camp at sites with facilities, so showers and restrooms are not an obstacle. We have a porta potty for emergencies. Clean up of the BC is quick and easy.

The marketing strategy for AS seems to be similiar to some of the auto companies. Offer an entry level product (yes, it's costly, but generally, most recreational related equipment is) to get the new customer enticed. As they have a favorable experience they then consider the next level up and so on. Much like Toyota with the Corolla-->Camry, then -->Lexus. And it works.

martinto
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Price

I certainly "Get It", but the price seems to scare people off. If it was 18k or even 20k I think it would be flying out the door. I would love to have one besides my Bambi, but I don't think my Polaris Ranger would fit in it anyway.

What I would use it for would be as a hauler for my motorcycle and as a mobile shop on tour behind the bus. Maybe Airstream would wanna sponsor a Poison tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
Hi AgZep,

You are right, it's a different paradigm. I think you "get it" but based on our experience the market is much broader than most people seem to perceive.
The many people asking for tours seem to be 40+ and are interested in a less complex trailer..........no sewage to deal with, no special hitches, no need for a big tow vehicle. One owner with whom we have communicated is an artist who wants to take herself and her products to flea markets in it.
I think AS has underestimated its flexibility and the breadth of market appeal. Finally, I agree that it is good to see AS introducing a completely new product that has the potential of being appealing to a broader (& perhaps more youthful) market segment.

Cheers,

Jerry
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Yep, They are spendy but they do fill a niche a traditional Airstream does not cover.

If I wanted to haul my Harly around to take rides in areas it would be boring to ride to and also have a place to sleep one of these would be perfect.

If Airstream wants a lower entry level Unit they could bring back Argosy and aim it at that market.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Yep, I agree

I agree with your evaluation and add that the particular niche filled by the BaseCamp is filled by no one but AS. The niche I refer to is that of a toy hauler with more than modest camping facilities for two that can be pulled by a low power tow vehicle. We tow our BaseCamp with a six-cylander gasoline powered Honda Ridgeline and haul my 1100cc Honda Shadow Spirit motorcycle. If you add the optional tent, it can easily sleep 3-4 more.

Our experience is that people not interested in hauling toys are interested in the BaseCamp as a more than modest camping trailer without the complexity of larger and heavier units. I hope this information is interesting and informative.

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Hey Martinto

My wife and I are in our early sixtys and our experience is largely the same as yours. I'm glad to hear we are not a one of a kind.

We continue to believe that AS has underestimated the demand by people like us. So far, we have been swamped at every stop by members of this group wanting tours of our BaseCamp.

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I think Jerry has made an excellent observation. The Base Camp seemed to be sort of intended for the younger crowd, but is actually appealing to all kinds of folks who want a simpler, more mobile type of RV. Airstream may have opened up an unanticipated market segment with it.

I've always thought that businesses that concentrate on keeping up with their competition are doomed; it's not enough to expand your market share within a segment, but better to generate entirely new segments.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Bravo y'all! Buy it used and you cut the price in half. It does "stop traffic" wherever it goes. It is very roomy inside and I even modified the benches so that you can sleep down the sides (i'm 6"1") and have the center open to traffic. It can hold the biggest of bikes or a couple Vintagers. Wally had it right early on. Look at the early pictures of the Airstream before it was an Airstream. When he bot the previous biz they were making trailers and the first model had doors in the back. Airstream is the real deal when it comes to innovation. Toyhaulers owe their heritage to the predecessor of Airstream Inc.
Hauls like a dream and you don't need a landing permit to park it.
If you've never spent time in one, you don't know what you're missing.
The "kitchen sink" crowd has forgotten the fun of efficiency!
I am 49 and very active, it ain't the age that determines the activity!
We are all airstreamers, get out and have fun!
Bizcamp
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote