Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Huntsville , Alabama
Basecamp 20X 2022 Internet install?

I've ordered a Basecamp 20X.

Covid new age teleworking. I'll use it for the job about 50% of the week. So, rock solid internet and phone is a must.

So A few questions to help me choose what HW and providers. I've done a lot of online investigating and am thinking this:
AS Airconnected
- Pepwave CAT??? this year for 2022 models
- Poynting 3 MIMO 2X1? with GPS?
- Prewire 5 wire?

Mobile Must have
- Ultimate Road Warrior Dual CAT12 modem
- Parsec Husky 7-wire antenna MIMO 4X4

Mobile Must have
- Speed demon single CAT18 modem
- Parsec Husky 7-wire antenna MIMO 4X4

- - - - -

Here are some decision influencing questions:
Where/how is Basecamp pre-wire run? Can the wires be removed?
Can the 7-wire cable be run to the same location, or better location?

The Speed demon CAT18 modem has more Bands...27 I believe, including B71.
The URW dual CAT12 has 24 Bands, not B71

I have and will continue with ATT for one carrier, ask if T-Mobile would be best second one for Boondocking and low freq connectivity.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated...
NoGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Basecamp 20X 2022 Internet install?

>> So, rock solid internet and phone is a must.

Better came near a tower then

Honestly I would start with a portable CAT 18 modem with built-in 4x4 MIMO antenna (Nighthawk, Jetpack, etc..) and then add / have on hand a portable / directional netgear 2x2 MIMO antenna. It will be easier and less expensive to migrate to 5G hardware with a lite footprint as well.

All the current roof top antenna and typical hardware-based in-vehicle oriented systems are typically a step down in terms of bands covered and antenna configuration.

Your biggest issue is going to be your data plan. There are no good options out there for high data users unless you can get your hands on a grandfathered grey market AT&T or Verizon SIM card with unlimited data / uncapped speed. My data run rate usage is > 400GB / mo when mobile working on the road (I have an old plan that I am hanging onto).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	396733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	396734  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	396735  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
2022 16' Basecamp
2017 19' International
Saint Petersburg , Florida
MobileMustHave: Pepwave LTE w 7 cable Roof Mount. Primary sim is Calyx Instituteís Sprint (now t-mobile) unlimited no caps. Secondary is a Verizon sim, pseudo-unlimited w a 100gig soft cap. Phones are ATT w hotspot. Pepwave prioritizes the Calyx, falls over to Verizon and then hits the ATT hotspot. Run AppleTV everywhere. Work on road full-time. Significant other is graphic designer so Adobe internet connection required 24/7. Very very happy. BTB: Weboost RV was first try at achieving goal. Found that to be inadequate for needs. PepWave pricey but worth every nickel.
12 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 16 MB GLE400
RMNummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First and biggest issue is where you will be camping. There are a lot of wonderful spots out there that simply do *not* have adequate cell coverage from any carrier. By adequate I mean that data rates are high enough to do normal office work.

Here at home, doing what we do, a terabyte per month is not unusual. On the road, with much more limited "net ambitions" we normally are around a third to half that. Next step is going to be to get a good handle on what your data usage really needs to be. If you do a lot of video, that eats bandwidth really fast. Skype, Zoom and the rest seem to be the way a lot of folks spend their day .... welcome to that terabyte / month ....

Regardless of this or that plan being called "unlimited", there is only so much data a tower can provide. Giving the entire bandwidth to one user and blocking everybody else is not how any company is going to do it. You will get throttled in some places / at some times with any plan. With AT&T it *appears* they throttle per SIM. You can have multiple devices on the same account and each one can chew up its chunk before it hits the wall.

One thing I would not bother with is WiFi. Unless you normally camp out in mall parking lots, there simply isn't a way to hook up with much bandwidth that way. The typical campground system is useless for supporting a work environment.

Indeed there are folks who work from the road and do it all via email. They don't use their data plan for anything but work. They seem to get by on some very basic plans. Indeed, what you need network wise depends a *lot* on how you interface with the world ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote