Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

calgary , Alberta
Basecamp 20 Weight Distribution Hitch

Good day all
For the past 8 months I've been on this site ever since we put a deposit on a 2021 Basecamp 20. Put the deposit August and have still been waiting for a now estimated delivery in July. I wonder if this is secondary to living in Canada and us being less prioritized during the pandemic, but that's a different issue.

As a complete newbie to towing, there is a lot I've learned on this forum - thank you all. I've realized that our Subaru Ascent may tow OK (5000lbs, 500 tongue, 4 cylinder CVT) , but is not ideal for life in the rockies where we are based out of. We have changed our TV to a Lexus GX with a 6500, 650 tongue weight, V8. Like almost everything, the TV hasn't arrived yet, subject to pandemic related delays.

My question is how to deal with the WD and what precise WD hitch is recommended for the Basecamp. I've been unable to get clarity from searching the forum and the internet over the past few weeks. Unlike the Subaru, the Lexus GX needs sway control. I was thinking of Blue Ox, but from reviewers here, it seems that the Basecamp 20 does not support this secondary to the propane tanks and some structural interference.

Ultimately my question is:

Is there a specific WD hitch that you suggest I go with? Unfortunately I do not have my basecamp 20 or access to any to see what can be attached to it. Some posters say that only certain equalizers work while others do not.

Perhaps this?

Also, is an adjustable hitch like this an all around safe bet?

I'm sure you're wondering why I haven't contacted my dealer. Well, I sort of have. He recommended the Equalizer, but he suggested it within seconds of me mentioning a WD hitch, making me suspicious he's not familiar or just doesn't bother. He was also the one who told me initially that the Subaru would 'absolutely not' be acceptable for the BC20 only to tell me a few weeks later that it would be perfectly OK. To top it off, he's been vague with the delivery date, having delayed it multiple times and not being good with responding to my emails. Maybe it's because he's an older guy close to retirement, maybe he's not knowledgeable, but bottom line I don't trust his advice. This is a large airstream dealer with locations in BC and Alberta, so I know the dealer is not shady.

Thanks everyone.
Petegd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
BCX 16 and equalizer

We have been very happy with our equalizer and 2020 16 BCX. I’m not sure that the dimensions of the bc 20 and 16 tongue are the same, but I think they are close. Search my name for pics of my installation on my BCX 16. If you install the hitch yourself, which is easy, remove the propane cover during the installation. I also found I had to increase the wd several months after my initial setup. Last, disable the air suspension on the GX during setup?
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Maybe with the Subaru, b/c it's pretty close in my book. I don't see much need for any type of actual weight distribution with this setup. Sway for sure, but to put WD bars on, I mean you would need 100-200lb bars, which I doubt exist, and 600lbs bars would be way too much for such a rig.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Westlake Vlg , CA
BC 20x and Equalizer

We have a 2021 Base Camp 20x and we are using the Equalizer. I was brand-new to towing as well and once hitched it works perfectly for me. Hardly even know the BC is there unless I'm looking in the mirrors.

The only issue I've had is the coupler doesn't always readily release from the ball when raising the jack. But I don't think that's an Equalizer issue as I believe the ball was sold separately.

My tow vehicle is a 2012 Yukon XL.

Sorry it's taking so long to get your BC. It IS worth the wait, though.
the eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Seems that the Equalizer can be made to work with the Basecamp from the testament above and in some other threads
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f40...ml#post2395796

It can and will work just fine. Get a 600lb WD model as you won't need much WD tension with that combo. I run a Equalizer and it is a fine working WD hitch - easy to use, robust, and straightforward. It singularly is likely the most used in the US, and has great support everywhere as every shop is probably familiar with it. Though if you can find that a hitch like the Anderson can be made to work, there may be an opportunity for a lighter WD setup as you won't need much compared to us running full size Airstreams.

Regarding air suspension if your GX is fitted with it. It'll work great with your trailer. Only thing to pay attention to is to make sure WD tension is adjusted AFTER it fully levels and you have the trailer level. Otherwise, adjusting the WD tension prior to the air suspension leveling will render the WD tension incorrect (reduced).

It'll be an awesome combo.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petegd2 View Post
Ultimately my question is:

Is there a specific WD hitch that you suggest I go with? Unfortunately I do not have my basecamp 20 or access to any to see what can be attached to it. Some posters say that only certain equalizers work while others do not.

You might try a posting by "stemCC" on Feb. 4th. He's using the Andersen WD/anti-sway hitch and says it works for his Basecamp. I'm planning to use it on mine when it arrives. (BTW, I ordered one is Sept. and now have an off-line date of June 30th).
ThB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThB View Post
You might try a posting by "stemCC" on Feb. 4th. He's using the Andersen WD/anti-sway hitch and says it works for his Basecamp. I'm planning to use it on mine when it arrives. (BTW, I ordered one is Sept. and now have an off-line date of June 30th).
Nice
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f40...lp-219046.html

I've used the Anderson before on a 23D and my previous LX470. It's a fine working WD hitch, light, clean, and easy to use, perfect for lighter trailer applications.

I like it's unique ability to adjust WD easily (the adjustment is literally a part of hitching up with the unit). That in my mind fits great with the adventure part of the Basecamp, as when off-road at lower speeds, taking out some WD tension and allowing more articulation is a great thing.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThB View Post
I do use the Andersen WDH, and I do like it very much. The Equalizer is a great WDH as well, I know quite a few people who use it on their various rigs and swear by it. Both will work well for you I imagine (I have the 2020 16x BTW, TV is 2021 Jeep GC Trailhawk with a Hemi V8).

I'd say there's a couple of key considerations between the two. The Andersen is lighter and much easier to hitch/unhitch (as you don't have to wrangle the bars into place). The Andersen is also quiet. The normal trunion/bar type WDH like the equalizer, tend to be loud when turning (this is the bar moving). There's ways to mitigate that however.

Like you, I don't really need the weight distro, I just wanted the sway control. There are other options for just sway such as: Curt sway control. It was suggested to me by my dealer last year.

This was the thread referred to by the way.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f40...lp-219046.html
stemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
Wdh

Our Basecamp 20X was ordered in July and delivered in late February. Haven't had much time to use it, but did get out last weekend. I intended to follow the dealers advice to get an Anderson hitch, but didn't get around to it.

Drove through the Salinas Valley in high winds for about 100 miles with a standard hitch. No sway control or weight distribution. I was very surprised by how low stress the trip was. I am brand new to towing, and had been apprehensive about doing so.

There is still a chance that I will get the Anderson Hitch. When we picked up the trailer, there was another customer there with one on his 16. He swore by it.

Tow vehicle is an F150 with 2.7 V6 ecoboost.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA15830 View Post
Our Basecamp 20X was ordered in July and delivered in late February. Haven't had much time to use it, but did get out last weekend. I intended to follow the dealers advice to get an Anderson hitch, but didn't get around to it.

Drove through the Salinas Valley in high winds for about 100 miles with a standard hitch. No sway control or weight distribution. I was very surprised by how low stress the trip was. I am brand new to towing, and had been apprehensive about doing so.

There is still a chance that I will get the Anderson Hitch. When we picked up the trailer, there was another customer there with one on his 16. He swore by it.

My son got the 20X in January; we drove his GLE350 to Tampa to pick up for the drive back to Texas, and had them install the Equalizer hitch. I had purchased the "new" Blue Ox Sway Pro, but it required modification under the propane bottle, some cutting. The Equalizer install was much easier install for the dealer, so I took back the Blue Ox and got the Equalizer. That A frame on the Basecamp is very stubby, so be sure the Anderson will work; ask your dealer.

As for weather you need it or not; consider it insurance. Some folks seem fine with just a friction type sway arm on their normal ball hitch. The Basecamp is not too heavy tongue weight, but it is still a TT. I prefer the insurance when towing...anything to help should you have to swerve...wind is one condition; semi is another; unforeseen driver or hard lane change is another...experienced them all with 4 different AS's...I know the anti sway saved our bacon a few times at 60+mph... You just never know...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA15830 View Post

BTW, I was that customer at South Bay Airstream talking about the Anderson hitch, was picking up my airstream after a warranty repair. Small world!

It's interesting too that you only received your airstream in Feb, we ordered our 16x about the same time (July timeframe) and picked up in November. I wonder if the 20's were more backlogged than the 16's were.

I agree with Gypsydad on the insurance. You won't need WDH, but the sway control will add that assurance that keeps you safe in unexpected conditions.

Stephen
stemcc is offline   Reply With Quote