Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #1

2008 Base Camp
2009 Interstate
santa cruz , California
Base camp availability..??

Hi all,
I'm new to the rv thing and was very excited when I saw the advert for the basecamp; its toy hauler + camping capabilities. But low and behold it appears that they are not available anymore? Is this correct? Anyone know of availability here in the USA (westcoast preferably) or are there any plans for a 2010 model?
Also; the 2 inch lift and bigger tires options ..does it really upgrade the suspension & have clearance enough for off roading ( not rock crawling of course..just long stretches of hard packed rocky, washboard dirt road).. thanks !
jd
jordanwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream is not making Basecamps. I am aware of one available at Airstream of Chicago. Airstream of Chicago - US Adventure RV - Chicago, Illinois for your next Airstream
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
What's it been? Two years since they discontinued them?

I wonder if your local Airstream dealer could scour availability for you?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
There are several Basecamps at Jackson Center and I'm sure Airstream would be delighted if someone would order one so they could get rid of one of them.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #5

2008 Base Camp
2009 Interstate
santa cruz , California
thanks everyone for the help. haven't had time yet to contact jackson, but chicago said they had one pretty fully loaded (though they lost the tent) for ~ 19 K.. what do you guys think ..still alittle pricey perhaps... especially with the lower prices of the carson rebel.. which seems to have much better kitchen amenities, water storage etc at a much lowwer price (as well as daul axil which is rather appealling -especially for dirt road travelling)..albiet the basecamp has definately got style to say the least- something not lost on my gfriend ha ha...
jordanwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We take ours on some very rough gravel roads, and there are no issues with overhang, but the bottom of the main axle isn't very high off the ground. The brake cable that runs across was tied with zip-straps, and they routinely get broken by rocks and I have to crawl under and tie the cable up again. We have the 20 inch wheels... which look nice, but do nothing to absorb any road shock. I am considering the Airsafe hitch to loosen things up.

The back doors are an issue with letting dust in... a LOT of dust on gravel roads. Airsteam has been unhelpful in addressing this with us, as we are quite far from a dealership... We're still working on it...

For what it is, I like it... but if I had spent $30,000 for it, I'd be right PO'd. $15K is about right for this unit...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Got a new one available here

Anyone want a new one at a discounted price? One for sale at the Airstream dealer in Denton, Texas. They REALLY want it gone.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Do a search for Basecamp on this site....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwd View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to the rv thing and was very excited when I saw the advert for the basecamp; its toy hauler + camping capabilities. But low and behold it appears that they are not available anymore? Is this correct? Anyone know of availability here in the USA (westcoast preferably) or are there any plans for a 2010 model?
Also; the 2 inch lift and bigger tires options ..does it really upgrade the suspension & have clearance enough for off roading ( not rock crawling of course..just long stretches of hard packed rocky, washboard dirt road).. thanks !
jd
All of the info. and opinions about the basecamp are availiable if you do a search.

Lots of pros and cons...
I think you will learn more if you read what has already been posted...
Keep in mind you want to give more weight to the opinions of those that have a Basecamp and have experience with it vs. the opinionators that are willing to educate the world without the benefit of hands on experience.

Bizamp
Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Lost the Tent? For $500 bucks!

Quote:
thanks everyone for the help. haven't had time yet to contact jackson, but chicago said they had one pretty fully loaded (though they lost the tent) for ~ 19 K.. what do you guys think ..still alittle pricey perhaps... especially with the lower prices of the carson rebel.. which seems to have much better kitchen amenities, water storage etc at a much lowwer price (as well as daul axil which is rather appealling -especially for dirt road travelling)..albiet the basecamp has definately got style to say the least- something not lost on my gfriend ha ha...
19K new, tents can be had for $500 from time to time. This price for a new one is reasonable, Mine was used twice and I got it with everything...15K two years ago.
Remember, now you know that they are limited. Less than 300 made!

Bizcamp
Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
The tent is a Kelty and has a lifetime warranty I believe.

I haven't used mine but use a $79 Easy up 12x12 instead.
The Easyup has screen and solid walls that you can buy and put up which will
give the enclosure you need at a good price with standup capability.
The 144 extra square feet more than doubles the space of the Basecamp and
is a much more efficient solution. The tent option is about a grand cost and might work better for a tighter, backcountry situation but not my cupotea.

Bizcamp
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Buy it used!

Quote:
Hi all,
jd
Call Vicki Lazier at Airstream. Jackson....
End of production was 8/08
Approx number 225-300.
Discontinued!

Bizcamp
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #12

2008 Base Camp
Navarre , Florida
If you are still looking I suggest contacting Bates RV. They still have a couple available and they will beat anybody's price. Ask to speak to Terry. Tell her you were referred by Dan and Kim. We just bought a new 08 from her a month ago. The
FLBasecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #13

2008 Base Camp
Tacoma , Washington
I might be interested in selling mine if you are still interested. It is an 08'. What are you looking for specificly?

Steve
stcbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote