Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Granbury , Texas
Backup Camera Suggestion for Basecamp 20X

Our 2022 Basecamp 20X has arrived at Airstream of DFW. Taking delivery this coming Saturday.
We enjoyed a Casita Independence for a short while last year. We quickly found it too small and sold it quickly without losing any money. We then put down a deposit for the Basecamp.
We had used a Furrion 3 camera system on the Casita. Worked great. Since the Basecamp does not have any flat surfaces to mount the cameras, I need a different solution.
What are folks using to see rearward?
MyronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
When I had my Basecamp 16X I used this and it was fantastic! Easy as can be with setup- just put your license plate in the bracket and plug the monitor into your tow vehicle. It was perfect!

AUTO-VOX Solar Wireless Backup Camera, 5 Mins DIY Installation, 5 Inch HD Monitor with Digital Wireless Signal and HD Image Waterproof Rear View Camera for Truck,Car,RV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B1BFRNX...ing=UTF8&psc=1
StreaminNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Clarksville , Tennessee
Im gonna follow this, I was contemplating the Garmin BC 40 because I already have the GPS that's compatible. But I cant get an answer on the range of 26 feet...

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
San Francisco , California
Haloview MC7108 Backup Camera for Basecamp

I have a 2022 Basecamp 16X that we are towing behind our Interstate. I setup the HaloView MC7108 Wiring-Free High Def Rear View Camera System but the trick was getting the camera AND the wireless battery pack to mount on the aluminum Basecamp roof. This model has 984 feet transmitting distance (ie for big trucks, class As) so it works for our 24 foot Interstate + 16 foot Basecamp + the gap in between.

In order to do that I purchased 2 of these Haloview Metal Plates with 3M Tape, and stuck them to the top of the basecamp, right in between the air conditioner and the "lip" that catches the water (at the edge of the aluminum).

The monitor sits in the Haloview Nonslip Beanbag Dashboard Friction Mount.

I need to find a way to hold the power cord going from the smart battery pack to the camera down (maybe velcro straps stuck to velcro double sided tape) on the top of the roof but after a couple of test drives with it, this system works great. I mute the audio feed while driving b/c the sound of the wind is too much but the camera is great resolution. I have not extensively tested it for night time driving.

Hopefully the magnets will hold the camera/smart battery pack if we go over a big pothole or bump! hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	416598  
BeachBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Granbury , Texas
We brought our Basecamp 20X home today from Airstream of DFW. Very thorough delivery process with plenty of informative instruction. Tows well behind our Jeep Gladiator Overland. 11 mpg was a surprise. After parking the trailer in our storage area, I ordered the Auto-Vox Solar camera system. It should arrive next week. Just in time for our first road trip.
MyronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronM View Post
We brought our Basecamp 20X home today from Airstream of DFW. Very thorough delivery process with plenty of informative instruction. Tows well behind our Jeep Gladiator Overland. 11 mpg was a surprise. After parking the trailer in our storage area, I ordered the Auto-Vox Solar camera system. It should arrive next week. Just in time for our first road trip.

Good choice! Remember to keep the license plate exposed to sunlight to ensure it’s fully charged and powered. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all! Happy travels!
Old 06-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Edmonton , AB
Tadi Brothers have a lot of wire and wireless options.
Lon BRISCOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Olympia , Washington
reception distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminNP View Post
When I had my Basecamp 16X I used this and it was fantastic! Easy as can be with setup- just put your license plate in the bracket and plug the monitor into your tow vehicle. It was perfect!

AUTO-VOX Solar Wireless Backup Camera, 5 Mins DIY Installation, 5 Inch HD Monitor with Digital Wireless Signal and HD Image Waterproof Rear View Camera for Truck,Car,RV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B1BFRNX...ing=UTF8&psc=1
This looks like a great solution; am concerned though about reception. Basecamp is 16' long; my tow vehicle would bring the total distance to about 30 ft' (back of Basecamp to dash of tow vehicle). How does that compare to what you are using?
CR-Rylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
That shouldn’t be an issue. My TV is a Ram 2500 so it’s about the same distance. I never had connectivity problems with that backup camera!