Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Backup Camera for Basecamp

I go on solo trips quite often and have to back my Basecamp by myself. That requires getting in and out of the car numerous times. Hitching is easy because of the backup camera on my car. I asked my dealer about it and they said they would have to hard wire the camera into one of the running light fixtures above the rear door. They further indicated there wasn't enough room for that. So, do any of you Basecamp owners out there have a backup camera? If so, what is your solution to this problem. Thank you.
AThiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThiker66 View Post
I go on solo trips quite often and have to back my Basecamp by myself. That requires getting in and out of the car numerous times. Hitching is easy because of the backup camera on my car. I asked my dealer about it and they said they would have to hard wire the camera into one of the running light fixtures above the rear door. They further indicated there wasn't enough room for that. So, do any of you Basecamp owners out there have a backup camera? If so, what is your solution to this problem. Thank you.
Voyager wireless rear vision system.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Smile

I looked at the Voyager and it's a great unit. The service technician at the dealership also looked at it and said it wouldn't fit. I appreciate your reply, Lew but have you put one on a Basecamp?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThiker66 View Post
I looked at the Voyager and it's a great unit. The service technician at the dealership also looked at it and said it wouldn't fit. I appreciate your reply, Lew but have you put one on a Basecamp?
I haven't put one on a Basecamp yet but I did add one to the roof of my Sprinter service van. That required me to fabricate a custom mounting bracket which would probably also work on the BC.

I'll get a shot later today and post it.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
There are many backup cameras available. Here is one example that is small and can be pared with either a wired monitor or a wireless antenna to send a signal to a monitor or tablet or smart phone. Look around on Amazon and Youtube and you will find many solutions to your problem. Good luck!

Esky EC170-08 Waterproof Night Vision HD CMOS 170°Viewing Field Car Rear View Backup Camera
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Even if you add a wonderful backup camera, I still recommend GOAL (Get Out And Look). It's amazing what even the best camera can miss.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Wrote to the Mothership. This is what they said, "Good afternoon, I hope you are having a great week! We have not found a back-up camera system that would be beneficial to the Basecamp application at this time. Between interference with the rear tent installation (if used) and the skewed view if we were to roof mount one, it is just not something we would recommend."
Old 05-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
OK,

So here's a shot of the bracket that I made for my Voyager system on my Sprinter. It is out of the way (doors open right up to the roof line) and provides me with a full rear view including the rear bumper and tow ball for easy hitching.

It's made from a single piece of .090 aluminum stock and bent to shape for the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6480.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	286309  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
I ordered a license plate bracket camera. It is wireless and it talks to a wireless monitor that plugs into a 12v socket up front.

The camera needs a 12v feed that I hope to get in the form of the license plate light. Hopefully, the wiring will be easily accessed (the trailer is at the dealership getting the warm fridge on propane fix so I have to wait to confirm ease of installation).

Talking to AS customer service led me to believe that mounting a camera on the roof or on the rear, above the door might be asking for problems. They indicated that other model Airstreams have a designated mounting point (reinforced, perhaps) with built in 12v wiring. Since the Basecamp has neither, I decided to try the wireless license plate bracket route.

I might add that my interest in a camera is less in backing up and more with knowing what is going on behind me on the highway.

I should know how well it works by mid next week.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Essex , Massachusetts
how did it go?
Tom P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P. View Post
how did it go?
Not bad. Here is it in action:

I have the brightness turned way up cause I am driving with dark sun glasses.

Decided against using the 12V lead from the camera tied to the license plate light. It only worked on manual light settings which cut out my auto headlight dimmer, etc.

Since the camera is rated for 9V to 32V, I took a chance and spliced the lead to a power only USB cable and stuck it in the charge port back by the rear heater register. Works fine. The cable has an antenna which I leave out by the camera. the lead goes under the rear door and is cushioned by the lower weather stripping.

The 4" monitor is pretty small. But, when an angry Kenworth is on my tail, I can see it quite well. I might opt for a larger monitor from the Tadi Bros. folks. They are pretty cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	294608  
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Essex , Massachusetts
Nice. Thank you!