Old 04-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Smile Any Info on 2020 BC’s?

We’re close to moving forward with a purchase of a BC-X, but we have a month or two before ‘needing’ one. We have found that many non-AS manufacturers are already taking orders on 2020 models and dealers are beginning to advertise them on their websites. Any info on when the 2020 BC’s will be arriving and if there are any known changes of any significance? Or, any knowledge of what time of year AS typically starts shipping it’s next year’s models?

This forum and its participants are awesome! Very informative! Hopefully we can contribute as owners in the near future.

TXTrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Flower Mound , Texas
I spoke to the manager at Airstream DFW about a week ago because they don't have the Nest model I'm considering. He said that at the beginning of May all of the Airstream dealerships will get info on 2020 models and timelines. I spoke to the same manager about the BaseCamp at an RV show in Dallas. He is only ordering the BC-X model going forward. Having read all of the issues with 2017-18 models, it seems like 2019 is the year they've worked out the kinks and the X package is worth it. Once the 2020s are out in a month or two, you can probably get a much better deal on a 2019 BC-X.

SubaruLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
I emailed a dealer about 2020 BCs and got this in their reply.

https://m.imgur.com/a/UHPIZ3e
RiniCdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Idk we finally got our fridge working right last season. I did consider changing over at one point but correct me if I’m wrong because I might be...Will the new fridge for 2020 only work on electric?
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes I believe so. The info I got from the dealer (in the above post) says that the fridge is a 12V/110V Nova Kool. And bc of this the front vent has been eliminated.
RiniCdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #6

Pasadena , California
I'm trying to get a Basecamp, should I ask the dealer for the 2020 model? Is it out yet?
ykzandwyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
Any info on when the 2020 BC’s will be arriving and if there are any known changes of any significance?
. . .
Welcome to the forum!

Suggest that you educate yourself on what fridge you will be getting, and how it functions. The old fridge had a problem staying cold in hot weather, as detailed in this long but informative Simple Survey thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

. . . where you will see posts from Trae and Ann, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Idk we finally got our fridge working right last season. I did consider changing over at one point but correct me if I’m wrong because I might be...Will the new fridge for 2020 only work on electric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiniCdub View Post
Yes I believe so. The info I got from the dealer (in the above post) says that the fridge is a 12V/110V Nova Kool. And bc of this the front vent has been eliminated.
Will all the 2020 Basecamps come with this new type of fridge? [which does not use any propane for cooling] If so, there will be battery management issues to deal with, as you will either need to stay hooked up to shore power for 120v AC, or have some serious battery power and solar/generator capabilities to keep the batteries charged, especially if you will be boondocking without shore power, and using 12v DC to power the fridge.

This Battery School site is a good place to read up on RV battery management in general:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

You should grill the sales people for your Basecamp on the battery management issues raised by the reliance on ONLY electrical energy. For most of its entire history, Airstream has offered propane as one way to keep the fridge cool. There are many rivers to cross on using only electric IMO, and you will essentially be a Beta Tester [IMO] just like everyone was in the Simple Survey thread with the propane-cooled fridges.

Do you want to be a Beta Tester?

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #8

Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Suggest that you educate yourself on what fridge you will be getting, and how it functions. The old fridge had a problem staying cold in hot weather, as detailed in this long but informative Simple Survey thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

. . . where you will see posts from Trae and Ann, among others.

Will all the 2020 Basecamps come with this new type of fridge? [which does not use any propane for cooling] If so, there will be battery management issues to deal with, as you will either need to stay hooked up to shore power for 120v AC, or have some serious battery power and solar/generator capabilities to keep the batteries charged, especially if you will be boondocking without shore power, and using 12v DC to power the fridge.

This Battery School site is a good place to read up on RV battery management in general:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

You should grill the sales people for your Basecamp on the battery management issues raised by the reliance on ONLY electrical energy. For most of its entire history, Airstream has offered propane as one way to keep the fridge cool. There are many rivers to cross on using only electric IMO, and you will essentially be a Beta Tester [IMO] just like everyone was in the Simple Survey thread with the propane-cooled fridges.

Do you want to be a Beta Tester?

Good luck,

Peter

Thanks Peter.
Just got back from Airstream LA, the only have the 2019 model of Basecamp, to the dealer said they can get me a free upgrade to newer version of refrigerator which uses electric only.
ykzandwyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykzandwyz View Post
Thanks Peter.
Just got back from Airstream LA, the only have the 2019 model of Basecamp, to the dealer said they can get me a free upgrade to newer version of refrigerator which uses electric only.
We just purchased our 2019 X last weekend, it still has the older fridge.

Bah should have pressed more on the fridge change over. Free up-grade to swap would be good. Mind you this one was in stock on their lot, so with silver signing and their discounts price was fairly reasonable.
Dasponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
When we were looking for our 2019 NEST, we used RV Trader to what was available where.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Airstream-B...c&vrsn=results
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSerious View Post
When we were looking for our 2019 NEST, we used RV Trader to what was available where.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Airstream-B...c&vrsn=results
Good resource, up here in Canada though only a few places selling the Airstreams nevermind a basecamp. But comparing to the prices on there, our price came in pretty on par with the states even with the exchange.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think an electric refrigerator would be good in a Basecamp. I also think it would be a good to upgrade to a Lithium battery. And a 12 volt to 12 volt converter to keep the battery charged while under tow.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think an electric refrigerator would be good in a Basecamp. I also think it would be a good to upgrade to a Lithium battery. And a 12 volt to 12 volt converter to keep the battery charged while under tow.
I've got the dual AGM's but an upgrade to the lithiums is on the list eventually even without the electric only fridge. See how much boondocking we will be doing.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, you only need the lithium's for boon docking. And they save a few pounds. For us, with the 25', a heavy TV, carrying a generator, and little boon docking I am resisting going to the lithiums yet. I am comfortable with destroying a pair of cheap lead acids if I get in a pinch and need a deep discharge. But in a Basecamp with a small TV I think a lithium batter would be worth its price. Maybe 2.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Arlington Heightsi , Illinois
2020 Information is updated:

New Fridge - on all 2020 Basecamps 12volt compressor fridge - I like the old one

Shower Curtain Door - didn't know that I needed one

Mid year changes-

Bed Modification standard - seems to double usable interior space

New interior color - Forrest Ridge Green

New rear door latch - holds rear door open for breeze - can't wait to see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp-Forest-Ridge-Table-and-Bed-Conversion.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	363016  
TheBlackDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Arlington Heightsi , Illinois
2020 Basecamp Brochure

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...re-2020.V2.pdf
TheBlackDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackDuck View Post
2020 Information is updated:

New Fridge - on all 2020 Basecamps 12volt compressor fridge - I like the old one

Shower Curtain Door - didn't know that I needed one

Mid year changes-

Bed Modification standard - seems to double usable interior space

New interior color - Forrest Ridge Green

New rear door latch - holds rear door open for breeze - can't wait to see
I believe our year end 2019 has the read door latch, we pick it up from storage at the dealer on April 11th. Will double check and get photos!