Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2024, 05:04 PM   #1

2024 20' Basecamp
Bend , Oregon
Andersen Hitch users question

Hi all,
I just finished installing an Andersen WD hitch on our BC20X (just to be on the safe side for long trips and heavy wind areas more than the load). My TV is a 2022 Ram Rebel 1500. Before the hitch was installed, the truck would squat a few inches when hooked up once the jack was raised. I installed the Andersen hitch, lowered the hitch onto the ball but with little to no weight on it, then tightened the chains as per the instructions, 3 full turns per side (after being hand snug). When I raise the jack, it immediately comes off the ground, and the truck does not squat AT ALL. I double checked install, all looks perfect. I double checked measurements with the trailer attached and without. The hitch height might change a 1/2" or so. It just seems really odd to me that there is not more weight being put on the ball? I get the hitch is supposed to distribute weight, but my truck doesn't move...front ground to wheel well is the same, as is the rear with or without the trailer attached.

All this said, it tows and pulls very well, and no issues or concerns on my back road test run. Nothing of note on bumps, corners, speeds and high winds (thanks Mother Nature for adding that into the day!)

I have never owned a WD hitch. Does this seem normal or right given the bigger TV and light trailer to begin with? Thanks for any insight!
Cycologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:13 PM   #2

2021 16' Basecamp
city , New York
I can't speak for Andersen specifically (though I am interested in those hitches and thinking about swapping mine out - so I am invested in you getting an answer!). I have an Equalizer (a different kind of WDH) on my 16X and it doesn't do what you're describing. How's the tension on the Andersen WD chains? The only thing I can think is that the chains are picking up the load off the ball. On Equalizer, it goes to 2 heavy bars and I can always tell if there's any weight on them because they are impossible to move if there is, but there's always weight on the ball too unless I have the jack all the way up to unhitch or remove the WD bars. I've heard that Andersen is a totally different use of physics and haven't seen it in action so can't be certain on my reply here. Did you check for the opposite of squat? Any lift in the back of the TV? If you're really not sure about the WD you can do the FULL workup and go weigh your TV+trailer, TV, trailer, etc, get the tongue weight and the whole thing on a truck scale. That would give you all the raw # to know if the weight is where it's supposed to be.
matinmuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
No the Anderson uses the exact same physics. If you look at the hitch head from the passenger side the Anderson and other WD hitches all try to rotate the hitch head clockwise so the front of the truck goes down. The Anderson makes the coupler push forward on the ball (not lift) and the chains pull back on the bottom of the hitch head. Others attach bars to the hitch head and use them to try to rotate the hitch head.

To the OP you may want to try a little less pressure maybe 2 1/2 turns and see if it rides better. I believe those instructions are to get you close and a little fine tuning may be needed.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I agree, don’t tighten so much. I have the Anderson and love it. But I I also don’t apply much weight distribution to my setup.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:03 AM   #5
Jum
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Louisville , Kentucky
I use the Andersen with our 26 Argosy which has 500lb tongue weight out of 4520 trailer weight. I have it setup where it's shifting 200 from drive to steer axle and 60 from drive to trailer.

I have 5 threads showing, but that's dependent on where the brackets are attached to the trailer so 5 on mine is likely not the same as 5 on yours.
Jum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:49 AM   #6

2024 20' Basecamp
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for the input everyone! Just got back from a few day trip. Played a little with loading the trailer, and with tension on the nuts/poly bushings, and it feels great. A little more weight to the front of the trailer, and about a half turn less tension. Smooth, balanced, and perfectly level. Pulled over a couple winding passes, and was hit by high winds (30-40mph gusts) and it towed like a dream. I think the combo of my TV and the light basecamp just require very little wd. Thanks again for the help!!
Cycologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Your welcome and thanks for reporting back.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 06:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Stafford , Virginia
Similar setup

We have 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie and use an Andersen with our 20x. We also added airbags to the truck. We used it a couple of times before the Andersen and experienced a little squat, a little sway and a lot of porpoising- depending on the load. There are so many factors involved but in the end, you'll find the right combo for your set up. It takes some tinkering.
WeileMom is offline   Reply With Quote