Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Advice for weight distribution hitch

Our Toyota Highlander sags—I’ve posted here before and got the advice to get a WDH installed. I spent 5 hours yesterday at a local RV dealer who sells airstreams, trying various types of WDH and set ups. In the end, they said they couldn’t do it because of the propane tank. They had a blue ox sway pro but said it would require modifications to the trailer that would void my airstream warranty. Is that true?? We can’t seem to find anyone locally that can help and our original dealer is 10 hours away. We leave 10/9 for a long trip out west and want to be prepared. Can I buy the Andersen online and install ourselves? Is it difficult? We are not handy people but are beyond frustrated. Thanks in advance!
jenwillAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenwillAR View Post
Our Toyota Highlander sags—I’ve posted here before and got the advice to get a WDH installed.
If sag is your only problem I might look into some air bags.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Tried that too. They won’t fit in my highlander. The guy didn’t have any other solution. I know we have to wrong car but it tows well. It’s just the tongue weight that is a problem. Can’t get a new car right now.

Thanks you!
Old 09-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
What year Highlander?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The basecamp geometry does make the Blue Ox difficult to install so I understand the dealer's reluctance. It is not the best hitch for your situation anyway, so not a big loss.

Since you have a 2020 model the Andersen will be a really nice setup for you. The shank and ball will remain very close to your bumper, the tension is easy on the small Basecamp and it is fairly easy to install.

It will level the highlander so it does not sag and both the front and the rear will ride a bit lower than with no trailer. If you will be happy with that (I would be, but to each their own) then the Andersen is just the ticket as it will also control sway in unusual situations and improve handling. If you want to maintain the higher stock geometry, then you will need to get helper springs or airbags for the rear in addition to the WD hitch.

I can help walk you through installing the hitch. You will need some rather large tools, which you can rent or buy or borrow. First thing is to determine the shank rise/drop. You want the top of the ball to start about 1 to 2 inches higher than the top of the ball part of the coupler. I think on the Basecamp it is 18 unless you have to lifted version. A zero drop has the base of the ball at the top of the receiver hole. Standard ball height is 3 1/4 inches. You will also need to know frame rail height on the trailer. Good luck
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ml#ymm/2/years

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #7

2016 30' Classic
Longview , Texas
Quote:
Airbags do not solve the problem of too much weight on your rear bumper. Only wdh distribute the weight to the front tires, so that the weight is equal on front and rear tires.
Sjhough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
What year Highlander?
2016. AWD v6
Old 09-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Our Toyota Highlander sags—I’ve posted here before and got the advice to get a WDH installed. I spent 5 hours yesterday at a local RV dealer who sells airstreams, trying various types of WDH and set ups. In the end, they said they couldn’t do it because of the propane tank. They had a blue ox sway pro but said it would require modifications to the trailer that would void my airstream warranty. Is that true?? We can’t seem to find anyone locally that can help and our original dealer is 10 hours away. We leave 10/9 for a long trip out west and want to be prepared. Can I buy the Andersen online and install ourselves? Is it difficult? We are not handy people but are beyond frustrated. Thanks in advance!
Maybe you have too much tongue weight, can you re locate some weight over the trailer axles, like remove the LO tanks for traveling and mount in a rig ( temporary while traveling) leave the trailer spare at home, leave the TV spare at home ( or relocate to the mid of rig.....

OR you have too much tongue weight, what trailer is it? Single axle Bambi or Tandem axle
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
Have you checked out an Equal-i-zer hitch?
http://https://www.equalizerhitch.co...ontrol-hitch-1
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
WD Solution

Order/get / install an “Equalizer” brand hitch. Easy to do.

Only question to be answered would be which bars to obtain. That depends on tongue weight, etc. of your rig. Dealer or online expert would know.

Had Equalizere for five years on our 25-foot Flying Cloud. Love it.
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Equalizer hitches work well and are easy to use, but they are not a good choice for a 16' basecamp because the bars are stiffer than other choices. The limited flex range loads the bars rather than letting the vehicle springs accept the load and transfers the stress to the trailer. Since Basecamps are small and light, they are not in a good position to accept the strain. The Andersen chains and neoprene springs are much more forgiving and don't imposed imbalanced twisting on uneven terrain.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
I second or third the suggestion of Equal-i-zer hitch, my current TV is a 2017 Tacoma 6cyl, 4door. For 6-7 years I have towed a 16' sport easily all over Alaska and the Alcan, very happy with it
spaceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
The issue with the weight distribution hitch isn't the tow vehicle it's the trailer and how it attaches if I'm reading it right.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
2015 28' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Jenwillar, I am an Airstreamer in Little Rock. Do you know about the Arkansas Razorback Airstream Club?
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yes, The Blue Ox in particular. Because of bulk of the tensioning cam system.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
This thread may help
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-x-191091.html
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Portsmouth , New Hampshire
EAZ-Lift WDS

Quote:
You might check out EAZ-LIFT Elite. Can-Am in London Ontario recommends them over Blue Ox or Equalizer. Talk to Philip Tipler cell 519-494-2878. I wish those in the USA could cross the border to use them.
dspeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Holland , MI
2019 Highlander weight distribution experience

We tow our 1965 Airstream Globetrotter 20ft. with our 2019 Highlander SE AWD V-6. Our local Airstream dealer recommended an Equalizer WD hitch system.It works great!
Jan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Of course it works great, as it should. Have you objectively compared it to others? How would you know if it is the right choice and the best choice for this situation?