Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A Base Camp In Person

Our local Airstream dealer has a Base Camp on loan for two weeks. It was to be here for the Milwaukee RV show but did not make it on time so they are displaying it at the dealership. We visited yesterday and took the tour. This model did not have the tent enclosure with it so the sleeping arrangements were a little snug on the 50" beds. However, the interior is cute and utilitarian. Features such as snap off cushions and corrugated floors will make it easy to clean if you do use it to store the ATV. The front had a nice kitchen set up and a large Airstream type window. Best of all it is silver, my favorite color. The dealer said it will cost about $20,000 and then the tent will be extra. Other extras are the special tires, paint trim, stereos, wheels and on and on. It is a great looking vehicle which will turn some heads and be confused as a horse trailer by others. All in all I do not think AS will have any trouble selling them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base camp 005.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	18730   Click image for larger version

Name:	base camp 006.jpg
Views:	1874
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	18731  

Name:	base camp 007.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	18732   Click image for larger version

Name:	base camp 001.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	18733  

Name:	base camp 002.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	18734   Click image for larger version

Name:	base camp 004.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	18735  

Old 02-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
50" bed????

With a floorplan at this link -- do you know if a bed platform bed platform lays crossways between the bench seats?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
With a floorplan at this link -- do you know if a bed platform bed platform lays crossways between the bench seats?
I saw this unit last week at the Milwaukee dealership too. I believe dealer said the bed lays crossways.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Any BaseCamps For Sale?

It's September and I've not seen any of the Internet Dealers with a BaseCamp on their lots. Did production get held up? Anyone seen any for sale at the dealers yet?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I saw one at the International in Salem. I am not sure if there was more than one dealer showing Airstreams there or not. I know Sutton was represented.

I only glanced inside but the sleeping arrangement looks like it would be crossways because the two seats did not look long enough. I thought it would be like twins but it is not that large. Four men were sitting on the seats (2 on each side as at a dinette) and they took up all that room, if that gives you an idea of scale.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Can you stand up in it?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Can you stand up in it?
well i could but my ears got in the way!

ok that's enough humor, the head room is 6ft plus...perhaps 6'6"

like carol i inspected the prototype/production model in salem.

my understanding is factory quality issues held up delivery....

which is still pending.

the out side is better looking first person than the pictures...

the interior is stark. they are costly. who will buy them?

dealers, of course, but will they sell many. i wonder what the mark up is...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote; they are costly. who will buy them? 2air'

I agree 2, Haven't seen any except in picts but they are quite neat. So are a lot of things!!! Whether or not they are $20k plus neat is another. Airstream trys to break out of their mold every now and then only to return to what they do best. I hope this goes but like 2air' ,I wonder.-----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
they are costly. who will buy them?

cheers
2air'
I went to the Colonial Airstream of NJ site and saw that they have 5 due in this month. Sale is pending on 3 of them......

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Our Forst 2007 Airstream Basecamp for Stock

Hello,

Our First 2007 Airstream Basecamp for Stock will be here before week end. Here is a link to the Window Sticker for the unit.

http://colonial.airstream.com/index....er&unit=202009
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream
Hello,

Our First 2007 Airstream Basecamp for Stock will be here before week end. Here is a link to the Window Sticker for the unit.

Thanks for posting the info. That sticker answered a lot of questions and caused a few more.

Seems like a fairly expensive modified teardropish trailer. If it has good ground clearance it would make sense for an off roader/dirt biker. I would have been truly intrigued in my younger rougher days if I could have afforded it. I must also state my opinions are half baked as I've never seen the unit in person.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream
Hello,

Pat---- I know as a dealer you folks are probably excited to see something new come down the pike from Airstream and I do hope it's sucessful as far as acceptance and sales go. But as a repeat buyer of their other products I feel a little disapointed to see the company spend that much energy on some thing new and see such little energy spent on improving the product that most of us buy. I'm not speaking here of disc brakes etc but of squeeky floors, leaking showers, rivets that fall out leaking roofs -fit and finish of interior parts, cabinets that fall from the walls etc. ---pieman
Old 09-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Pat---- I know as a dealer you folks are probably excited to see something new come down the pike from Airstream and I do hope it's sucessful as far as acceptance and sales go. But as a repeat buyer of their other products I feel a little disapointed to see the company spend that much energy on some thing new and see such little energy spent on improving the product that most of us buy. I'm not speaking here of disc brakes etc but of squeeky floors, leaking showers, rivets that fall out leaking roofs -fit and finish of interior parts, cabinets that fall from the walls etc. ---pieman
Mike,

I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction on the quality control of your 2006 Airstream Classic Trailer, but am certain the right Airstream dealership can handle any concerns or problems you might have now or in the future.

I have met with many folks from the Airstream factory, here at our location in New Jersey and in Ohio. They have proved to me that the 2007 product line has some of the best supervision of quality control, ever. There have been several changes in the quality control department. ie, the front window rock guards have been mounted differently, to prevent the possibility of a leak occurring in the future, through the hinge and mounting structure. The design department has improved the Cabinets, the overall appearance, flooring and faucets were upgraded from Moen to Delta, in the classics. In engineering, the 5 layer tongue and groove plywood flooring with water resistant glue now has a new process of anti-wicking applied around the parameter of the floor, and much more.

This is in addition to adding the new 27’ Classic FB, 27’ Safari FB SE, 20’ Safari SE, Interstate Mid-Bath with the rear dinette option to the family.

Although I do agree with you that the time and energy spend on the Basecamp was tremendous, I want you to know that we believe that for a handmade product, Airstream has stepped up the quality control and has improved an already great trailer for 2007. I am not suggesting you to upgrade your trailer to a 2007 model, but just want you to know that Airstream has not forgotten their core business of making High Quality Trailer Trailers.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote; I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction on the quality control of your 2006 Airstream Classic Trailer, but am certain the right Airstream dealership can handle any concerns or problems you might have now or in the future.

Pat--I did not mean to imply that we were dissatisfied with our 06 Airstreams quality or the dealer we purchased it from. This is our 3rd new AS begining with an 04, then an 05 now this 06. The 04 was "atrocious".!!! The 05 was better but still had many "inexcusable" mistakes. The 06 is much better althought a long way from perfect. The trailers we have purchased are not brand new concepts but products that should have been refined over the years to the point that people would be "awe struck" by the fit and finish. I commend them on the effort they have made toward quality control lately. My point is and I still believe that the energy spent developing new should not distract from the product line thats being sold. When I read all the hipe about the new I think," where was all this concern", when the product I purchased was half assembled and falling apart. A review of the quality issue on the forum will confurm what I'm saying. I am glad there are improvements being made as to quality and inspite of past experiences we continue to be loyal to the product and enjoy all that goes with Airstream ownership. I also comend you on your sales presentation.---pieman
Old 09-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
Mike-
Completely understandable about your concerns. I wish you safe and healthy travels in your 06 Airstream- if you are ever traveling through NJ please stop in to say hello!

-Patrick
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quality control

My '06 had doors falling off and delamination within the first week. My '07 has had no QC issues at all. I hope that continues.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 09-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #17
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
Basecamp has arrived

Hello,

Colonial Just received their first 2007 Basecamp. Detailed Photos have been taken. If you are interested take a look.

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/8165.html
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Very kewl…. Just not sure about the target market. At $27k and up, it would seem out-of-reach for new grads or young couples…
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Base Camp Owners?

Have any fellow Airstream Forumers become Base Camp owners. It would be interesting to hear some feedback.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
Have any fellow Airstream Forumers become Base Camp owners. It would be interesting to hear some feedback.
No, but that sticker is making me feel much better about the work I'm putting into my Vintage Flying Cloud.

Cool looking vehicle though.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote