Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
port chester , New York
2021 Basecamp?

Anyone have any pics yet? Curious to see how the 20’ model looks and if the 16’ is remodeled as well

We are about to go on a 3 month cross country trip with our 2020.5 basecamp. No buyers remorse but im very curious how it looks. I bought the basecamp for the lack of parts (aka things that can break) so too many new features would be a deal breaker for me anyway

I believe at least the 20 foot will have 2 sitting areas with a small central kitchen, which would also be a deal breaker for me. The big open kitchen was what made me buy the airstream within 2 minutes of seeing it in person
mango315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Smile Basecamp 20x Announced

Was excited to see the official 2021 basecamp 20x announcement today! Love the option for multiple seating and sleeping areas + separate gray/black tanks.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/
SPRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Salado & Santa Rosa Beach, FL , Texas
What is “ black tank flushing system” on the new 20?
MickeyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
MickeyR - Best guess: AS is giving the basecamp 20 a similar feature to what other models with a separated gray & black tank have (a means to hook up and essentially power wash the black tank). I hope that’s the case anyway.

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...er-tank-flush-
Old 07-15-2020, 03:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRider View Post
Was excited to see the official 2021 basecamp 20x announcement today! Love the option for multiple seating and sleeping areas + separate gray/black tanks.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link.

Why go with this new BC 20', when a 20' Caraval FB offers so much more, for an additional weight of only 700 pounds?

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...loorplans=20-x

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...loorplans=20fb

Our FC20 has an amazing corner galley, stand-up shower in a dry bath, and so forth.

Any increased cost may be justified by better features IMO. In terms of overall 5-year costs . . . including tow vehicle . . . why not "go for it" now for what you want?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
2021 Basecamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRider View Post
MickeyR - Best guess: AS is giving the basecamp 20 a similar feature to what other models with a separated gray & black tank have (a means to hook up and essentially power wash the black tank). I hope that’s the case anyway.

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...er-tank-flush-

What I quickly noticed was the size of the bed, to me that’s a real plus, can really rock in that one. Really costs many bucks for a big bed in other models. For me, the outside design I have grown to like.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks!

I love the Caravels and Flying Clouds as well, they were also under serious consideration due to the features you mention (dry bath being one). The real appeal of the Basecamp 20X over Caravel or FC is the lift kit + larger tires bc I will primarily be using the trailer for off-road camping. I live in the mountains of CO and even my planned trailer storage location is off a steep, unpaved/rough rocky/rutted road.

Have you taken your FC off-roading, and if so - how did she fare? I do love that corner kitchen of the FC20s :-)
Old 07-15-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds good for your intended use, but you can add a lift to any AS IMO. No off-road experience.

Happy trails,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
As a non-BC owner, to me the appeal of the BC20 seems mostly emotional when you compare features, cost, weight, function to FC/Caravels.

With BC 16 you give up some of the comforts (2 tanks, dry bath, dedicated bed) for it’s lightweight maneuverability. Now that the BC20 is about as heavy and large as a FC/Caravel without some of the comforts, it seems like the draw to the BC20 would be for aesthetics/marketing. I guess that could be said for all Airstreams, though.

The BCs design looks more minimalist, efficient, and outdoorsy. I think the BC16s look awesome, but I see less practicality in the BC20s.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I've never owned a trailer before, but I am in the market. Basecamp 16 is cool, but doesn't fit my family of 4. The Basecamp 20 is intriguing for sure. For me, cost is a factor. Basecamp 20 is almost $20,000 less than the Caravel 20FB. That's not insignificant.
weekendroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendroad View Post
I've never owned a trailer before, but I am in the market. Basecamp 16 is cool, but doesn't fit my family of 4. The Basecamp 20 is intriguing for sure. For me, cost is a factor. Basecamp 20 is almost $20,000 less than the Caravel 20FB. That's not insignificant.

Good point, $20K will get your attention. The Bambi 19 is an option at the BS20’s price point.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendroad View Post
The Bambi line is a bit lighter and a little more basic with its stylings and finishes We looked at the line and wound up with Sport 22FB from last years new model left overs. We like it due to the light weight and slightly narrower design.

The Caravel have some pretty nice finishes which really set it apart from the Bambi but you are going to pay for those.

My suggestion would be to spend some time in each of the trailers that you are considering and go from there. You will be able to see what you like and don't like by doing that. You never know but you may see something else that fits your needs better.

Good luck with your decision!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link.

Why go with this new BC 20', when a 20' Caraval FB offers so much more, for an additional weight of only 700 pounds?

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...loorplans=20-x

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...loorplans=20fb

Our FC20 has an amazing corner galley, stand-up shower in a dry bath, and so forth.

Any increased cost may be justified by better features IMO. In terms of overall 5-year costs . . . including tow vehicle . . . why not "go for it" now for what you want?

Basecamp is aimed at active lifestyle campers and not RVers. You can put a couple of kayaks/paddleboards and mountain bikes inside the Basecamp 20.

It is intended to be a roughing it campers, transitioning from a tent, trailer and not a traditional RV.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
DFW , Texas
More Basecamp 16X are sold than Basecamp 16s and the buyers do boondock with them.
Q-man13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I think it is possible to get what you want if you are an active individual living off grid in the bushes in the typical Airstream aluminum tubes. We carry kayaks and once I install the bike racks, we will carry those too. I carry these on the tow vehicle as I like to be able to carry them to the trail heads or docks after I have parked the trailer.

The Basecamp does sit a bit higher so ground clearance is better. It is pretty simple to add a 3" lift to any trailer. I can fit my bikes in my trailer too but can't carry my 12' kayaks inside because my door is on the side. I put them on the rack of my tow vehicle.

There are double axle trailers out boondocking as well. With everything, you just need to make sure you don't rip off the piping the hangs down for the tank exits.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #16

2007 19' Bambi
Boulder , Colorado
I want to weigh in here. I have owned a Bambi, then upgraded to a FC 25ft, and sold it two years ago. Wish in hindsight I had kept the Bambi because it was a great condition hand me down from my father, doh. But I got greedy and wanted a larger trailer. Anyway, we live in CO and are rugged in our recreation activities, and my husband mostly loathed our Airstreams for the lack of durability. They really are suited for paved road, RV experiences. Also, no one wants to lift a Flying Cloud, it just isn't recommended. So now, here we are looking at a Basecamp 20x. We are a family of 4 and realize we don't really want a 25 ft camper because we mostly want to be outside. In fact, I hardly ever cook in our campers, I bring a camping stove. If this had a teenie bit larger front dinette bed and an exterior cooktop option it would be perfect. I love the exterior tent attachment, would love to learn more about that. Just my two cents.
donnawynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Heres a question for AIRSTREAM, INC
Why is it that the smaller airstreams, like BC, or Bambi dont have SHOCKS? We own a 2006 Bambi Quick Silver, which is “SHOCKLESS”, and it BOUNCES wildly on rough road like a “Pram”, i called customer service last week, and was told Airstream would NOT consider adding shock absorbers-If we ordered a trailer that they dont do custom work ?? .??
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Kittanning , Pennsylvania
Other questions: Does anyone know the exact total length of the Basecamp20? Can I trust that it's no more than 20 ft.? I have a barn for storage that's 20'-4" and wonder if the BC20 would fit. Also, will the BC20 have a rear camera? Finally, some of the reviews out there -- and even the AS brochure -- say wet bath with "sink", but the floor plan and photos don't show a sink. Anyone know what's up there? I'm a newbie here; my thanks in advance.
Pepko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
2021 Basecamp?

Still want to flip back over and check it out, may delete, but right now it’s on Airstream homepage Basecamp 2.0 so exciting

Edit: Ok, so I just flipped out and saw it, hadn’t heard a thing cause historically more of a Flying Cloud guy, but as a former hardcore backpacker turned fulltime Airstreamer turned home owner in Covid land I sometimes wonder about the Basecamp. But at 20 feet, what’s the Basecamp advantage over say a Bambi again? I have to admit, I’ve always looked over the Basecamp.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
2021 Basecamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Heres a question for AIRSTREAM, INC
Why is it that the smaller airstreams, like BC, or Bambi dont have SHOCKS? We own a 2006 Bambi Quick Silver, which is “SHOCKLESS”, and it BOUNCES wildly on rough road like a “Pram”, i called customer service last week, and was told Airstream would NOT consider adding shock absorbers-If we ordered a trailer that they dont do custom work ?? .??

No shocks? But the promo has it on rough terrain, hummm
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote