Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
Torsion axle has damping (shock absorption) in addition to spring.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=2f2ee048_4

No problems towing basecamp on rough terrain.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I think the airstream Basecamp is a great concept but has suffered greatly in design and execution over the years. Hopefully the design will evolve on the right direction and production issues will be addressed.

I agree that the basecamp is targeted to more rugged campers and it should not try to be a Glamping trailer like a traditional airstream.

I would suggest replacing the problematic refrigerator entirely with a Yeti or DC powered removable cooler. The attachable optional tents are great, but I understand they have a tendency to leak at the attachment points.

If airstream can continually improve this trailer, then I think it can address a very viable market of people who want to do more rugged off-road camping adventures in a trailer purpose built for that application.

In fact, I see no problem with the base camp trailers exceeding the price of some of the lower end traditional airstream trailers, as long as the features and amenities and benefits to the end user are worth it. In other words, if I can feel confident towing the base camp over rough terrain, and sleep and shower in a durable, leak proof camper with tents that will shelter me from the elements and are relatively easy to set up, That would be a viable proposition for which I’m sure the market would be willing to pay a bit more.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
My wife and I were seriously considering a Basecamp 20x before we bought our International 23. I will admit that I was intrigued by the design and the marketing. When we looked at all the options and considered how we would use a trailer, a traditional Airstream made more sense for us. It’s hard to be objective about an emotional purchase like an Airstream, but I’m glad we decided to step back and think about it before buying.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
SkyGuyScott, as of mid model year 2019 Airstream superseded the "problematic refrigerator" on new Basecamps with a NovaKool 12Vdc/120Vac compressor refrigerator. This works fine for us and I haven't seen any complaints on the forum regarding it. We haven't had leaks on our 2019 Basecamp. I hear the solar set up has been improved for 2020 or 2021 and in any case it can be upgraded easily.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Glad to hear your BaseCamp is doing well for you. I had heard of the compressor fridge replacement. Still, I wonder if going with a powered high-end cooler would be better yet; you could literally remove it and stock it up, then transfer it to the trailer for transit, and again, move it to the attached tents or bring along on some sub-excursion whilst camping. That seems to be more versatile and maybe a better fit for the rugged outdoor camping experience. Would that work better for you, or is a traditional fridge better?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
Hmm -- removable cooler or NovaKool... On the one hand the NovaKool doesn't really use the full space (there is maybe 3 inches on each side -- I didn't measure) so a larger fridge/cooler would be great if possible -- or moving it to the side and using additional space for kitchen storage...

On the other hand it's nice to have direct access while cooking in the Basecamp -- which we do sometimes in cold or rainy weather.

Also which would be better would depend some on how you camp -- for example how many days you spend in the same place and whether you disappear from the campsite to hike during the day... Also on how big your Tow vehicle is -- you could always get 12 volts to a cooler in a truck bed also.

In our case I'm not feeling any pressure to move to a different solution any time soon.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Eugene , Oregon
We are getting a 16x next spring (supposedly). The reason we chose it is because it is less square than the Bambi and will fit in our teensy yard. All the other (non AS) small trailers were either not small enough or not tall enough for 6’ person to stand up in. Also we just want a bed and to be able to make coffee inside out of the rain in the morning. Also a bit more rugged hopefully. Luckily nothing else would fit so I “had to” get an Airstream. Lol. Total dream come true. I’ll put up with anything for this.

Does anyone have advice or links to how they move their basecamp16 around? It will fit in our yard but we definitely need a trailer dolly. Recommendations?
LaRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
is there really a sink in the 2021 basecamp 20x

So someone on this thread asked the question, but nobody has replied.

It is clearly advertised on Airstream's website, marketing videos, and by numerous 3rd party publications.

Where is this sink? In the only photos I've seen of it I only see a small storage compartment next to the toilet where there is hot and cold faucets, but are they not for the shower? Perhaps this storage area has a small drain in the bottom of it or something that the photos don't show? Can anyone comment on this?

I have one on order now, but my girlfriend is a bit concerned about this, although after I showed here a bunch of photos of the inside of the red rock model I ordered along with the 'bigger than king size' bed dimensions, which is in my opinion the main reason I am opting in on this model instead of the Bambi or other.. they all have small beds and we can't deal with that.. that instantly softened her up a bit. I assured her that if there wasn't a sink I would figure out how to mount another shower holder lower on the wall over near the drain so hands could be washed and the water just drain down the drain..

That being said, false advertising one something like this is a problem that could put Airstream in a little hot water with basecamp 20 owners getting some money back.

For those of you who state this is an emotional purchase I will laugh at you in my king size bed.. and I will also laugh when you can't get to a cool spot that I can, even if I only do this a couple of times, it will be worth it because the basecamp is still less expensive than these other models. But note, soon as you get out to
Canyon lands, and learn all the campsites are taken and you have to go into the backcountry, you will wish you had a basecamp x model..
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottleib View Post
So someone on this thread asked the question, but nobody has replied.

It is clearly advertised on Airstream's website, marketing videos, and by numerous 3rd party publications.

Where is this sink? In the only photos I've seen of it I only see a small storage compartment next to the toilet where there is hot and cold faucets, but are they not for the shower? Perhaps this storage area has a small drain in the bottom of it or something that the photos don't show? Can anyone comment on this?
Video posted today. It clearly shows the sink and stove.

https://www.facebook.com/isaiah.chav...9085772820527/
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblin View Post
Video posted today. It clearly shows the sink and stove.

https://www.facebook.com/isaiah.chav...9085772820527/
I guess my post wasn't specific to the sink I was referring to, I meant to say "where's the sink in the wet-bath?"

Couldn't be more excited to own \ getting past the sink in the wet-bath question w my girl is a bit more involved heehee

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottleib View Post
I guess my post wasn't specific to the sink I was referring to, I meant to say "where's the sink in the wet-bath?"

Couldn't be more excited to own \ getting past the sink in the wet-bath question w my girl is a bit more involved heehee

Thanks!
Yeah I don't see it either. But there's nowhere it could possibly be in that wet bath. I just looked at the Airstream website and scoured it pretty thoroughly, and I don't see any mention of there being a sink in the wet bath.
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Look at the floor plan view of the basecamp 20 and 20x, the description says toilet, shower, and sink all in one.. also says this in the video where the guy in the manufacturing facility walks through the interior, he specifically says it yet doesn’t open the bathroom door, and just about every 3rd party review also mentions it. It’s published in more places than not. They are either counting that tiny storage bin Where the faucets are as a sink since it’s immediately below the shower nozzle or there just isn’t one.. but to say that it isn’t advertised to have a sink in the wet bath means you haven’t read enough about it.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
navigate to this link on Airstream website:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...oorplans/20-x/

then click the plus sign displayed in the wetbath, it brings up Airstream's description of the wet-bath... this is one of many places Airstream claims there is a sink in the wetbath
Old 09-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

vancouver , wa
I think that small looking thing under the hot/cold water turn on/off in the bathroom, is considered the 'sink' in the latest basecamps. It holds water, can drain water, so I think it technically can be referred to as a sink. Probably if you need to wash hands or brush teeth, you would do it at the kitchen sink?
Ryan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Yes Ryan888, I think you might be correct on this. My girlfriend (of 13 years we live together) is not happy with this aspect of the basecamp, but I keep telling her to suck it up heehee..) I am certain that I may be able to make a modification that will allow the shower nozzle to be mounted above this sink and maybe something more if needed. But for the money and the high quality workmanship already put in you would think they would do something more for this..
Old 09-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

vancouver , wa
Well maybe a suction cup shower head holder stuck above the 'sink' would work for her, in the basecamp20.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan888 View Post
Well maybe a suction cup shower head holder stuck above the 'sink' would work for her, in the basecamp20.
Wow I didn't even think of that so glad you mentioned it I would have resorted to an adhesive and that is not ideal in any way haha

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Franklin , Wisconsin
I have physically walked through the 20X several times as there is a dealer less than 5 minutes from me. I can say 100% that there is not a sink in the bathroom. It is basically the same wetbath as in the 16 with the exception of the toilet being turned around. By the way, turning the toilet around made a huge difference! I struggle to shower and turn around in our BC16 but testing out the 20X I have no problem. I love the 20X and the wife and I are putting ours on order in a few weeks.
FaFaFooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

vancouver , wa
Looks like the bathroom 'sink' is more like a little shelf with no faucet (but under the showerhead) , not sure how much water it can catch, seems the water would just drain forward out of the shelf to the floor. Anyway I have a 20x on order, will be here in hopefully soon in 2021, very excited.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Guess I'll have to get creative, a rubber suction-cup shower mount over that shelf, along with a water basin with a handle on the shelf that can be easily lifted and then poured down the drain. This is one thought. Simple and easy.

I did have an email exchange with Airstream Supply Co and they are creating a new teak floor mat that fits snug in the basecamp 20 and will keep one elevated slightly off the floor so you don't have to worry about water not fully draining if the trailer it slightly unlevel.