Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2024, 03:47 PM   #1
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
2021 Basecamp 16 replacement battery

Hi,

Our 2021 BC batteries need replacing already. They are the Lifeline models. Anyone replaced their original stock batteries with another brand other than Lifeline? If so, which brand and model.

Thanks in advance!
TPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:04 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
New Cumberland , Pennsylvania
Now would be the time to consider upgrade to lithium batteries. LiTime sells a Group 24 size 100 amp lithium battery that can be installed in the current battery box making the installation much easier. I made the change over in December in my 2017 BC for under $1,000. Your 21 BC should require less since you have a lithium compatible converter. I used the Victron MPPT 100/30 to manage my solar - has bluetooth to phone/iPad to monitor battery status. System works very well and now has 200 amps instead of 75/80 amps with deep cycle lead acid.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	440534   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPPT.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	440535  

crozsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:43 AM   #3
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
Thanks crozsr!

I'm taking your advice. I hadn't realized that the prices for Lithium's had come down in price so much, and your reply was extremely helpful in that you had pretty much the same setup as me. So, will set out to do the conversion, and see what happens. Any further advice/"gotchas", would be appreciated. I ordered the LiTime replacements this morning.
Thanks!
Tom
Old 01-27-2024, 07:33 AM   #4
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
Hi Crozsr and others who have done the same,
So, this is what I believe I need to switch my BC 16x to Lithium, can you comment whether this is what you did?
1). Swapping out 2 existing AGM stock batteries with 2 LiTime 12V 100Ah Group24s.
2). Changing the main board assembly on the Converter/Charger in order to support Lithium...From WFCO - WF8955PEC to WF8955AD-MBA.
3). Swap out solar monitor to one with bluetooth. Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30.
4). Install bluetooth Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV for battery monitoring.
Does this sound correct?
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Old 01-27-2024, 10:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hi Tom:

I did 1,2&3. I didn't install the smart shunt (#4) because I decided the MPPT 100/30 would supply all of the information I needed to monitor the battery status. Besides, the space seemed limited to install another component. I also decided not to install an inverter because of the limited space and I do have a Honda 2200 generator that can run the AC/Microwave if needed. I'm pleased with the way the conversion works.

Thanks - Dave
Old 01-27-2024, 01:22 PM   #6
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the quick response! After reading your reply, I think that I'll also do the first 3, then see if I need number 4 or not. I may add 200W of Renogy solar (foldable) too. It seems that others have integrated it into the existing Zamp plug.

Appreciate the sharing!
Tom
Old 01-27-2024, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH View Post
Hi Crozsr and others who have done the same,
So, this is what I believe I need to switch my BC 16x to Lithium, can you comment whether this is what you did?
1). Swapping out 2 existing AGM stock batteries with 2 LiTime 12V 100Ah Group24s.
2). Changing the main board assembly on the Converter/Charger in order to support Lithium...From WFCO - WF8955PEC to WF8955AD-MBA.
3). Swap out solar monitor to one with bluetooth. Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30.
4). Install bluetooth Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV for battery monitoring.
Does this sound correct?
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Not that we have a Basecamp, but very similar to what I’m doing. Our converter had previously croaked, so I’d replaced it with an upgraded PV that was lithium compatible a couple of years ago. Now, I’m doing the swap to lithium, installation of a SmartShunt and the same SmartSolar 100/30 (along with fuses, switches, using a Lynx distributor).

Here’s a video that I was using as a guide (I’m not (yet) installing a Multiplus, sticking w/ our stock 1000w one for now, maybe in a year or two I might go the Multiplus route). : https://youtu.be/KM_8s4cTjWA?si=wTgvu7owCfyEaEET
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:33 PM   #8
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
Hi Dave,
I now have all the pieces to do my upgrade. Your replies have helped me a lot! In your posted photo of the MPPT, I have a few questions.....1). To the left of the MPPT, is this the House batteries to MPPT disconnect switch? 2). To the right of the MPPT, is this the Solar panel to MTTP disconnect switch? I don't see the yellow and green PV cables coming out of the MPPT....I see the green cable going behind the wooden mounting board, but don't see where it goes, and I don't see the yellow cable. 3) And finally, did you put in the wooden mounting board and relocate the MPPT up there, or did it come that way from Airstream?
Hope you don't mind me asking....I like the wooden mount, and am thinking of doing the same in mine.
Thanks.
Tom
Old 02-24-2024, 12:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hi Tom:
I’ve added a pic of my layout plus close-up pics of the install.
1-Left of MPPT is a 40 amp breaker Red wire coming from MPPT and connected to battery bus bar (in middle of pic with copperbar)
2- Right of MPPT is a disconnect switch with Red wire coming from solar (yellow/red wire) connecting to + of solar in on MPPT
3- I added a ¼” piece of plywood to attach the MPPT and switches to avoid attaching to the aluminum side wall.

Notes:
1- You can see the yellow and green solar wires (side by side) in the middle of the pic. I spliced the green to a black #10 wire and the yellow to a #10 red. The red (yellow/red) goes to the solar disconnect switch and then to the + solar MPPT connect. The black (Green/black) goes directly to the – solar MPPT connect. I then took the piece of #10 green that I cut off and connected it to the MPPT ground and then to the ground bus bar (top of pic). I replaced the original ground bus bar with a new one (purchased at Lowes) that would accommodate the connection. Connecting the Solar ground (green/black) to the - MPPT -connect satisfies the Victron installation requirement (the charger must not be connected with grounded PV arrays – one ground connection only as per Victron – you can Google Victron install diagram for the MPPT 100/30)
2- The red (or +) lead from the MPPT connects to the 40 amp switch then to the battery bus bar. You can see it attached to the battery bus bar on the left end on the copper bar. The Black (or -) lead from the MPPT is connected to the ground bus bar (the top left end).
3- I disconnected the black wire from the battery bus bar that comes from the tow vehicle/umbilical because my truck system does not recognize lithium and I didn’t want to install a dc-dc converter). You can see the black wire with the white tape on the end coming from the yellow with red ends fuse. I’ll let the solar do the charging when traveling.
4- You can also see the Sunexplorer yellow #10 wire with the R45 connector disconnected and with white tape located above the yellow/red fuse. I am using the Victron Connect app. I removed the Sunexplorer charger.
5- I connected the lithium batteries in parallel. I purchased a red and black battery bus bars to connect them. I installed them on the divider in the battery box. Be sure to use equal lengths of red and black cables to maintain a balanced voltage in the batteries.
6- Be sure your converter can recognize lithium batteries – it can be the WFCO WF-8950L2-MBA or Progressive Dynamics or some other compatible converter.

Hope this explanation helps understand my install.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drawing.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	441353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	441354  

Name:	MPPT.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	441355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	441356  

Old 02-24-2024, 02:13 PM   #10
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
Hi Dave,
Wow! Thanks for detailing everything like you did, and answering those questions. I'll probably start in the next couple days. I think I'll go real slow, do one thing at a time, test it, then go to the next.
Thanks again Dave!
Tom
Old 03-04-2024, 06:52 AM   #11
TPH
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Earlysville , Virginia
Hi Dave,

I spent the past few days upgrading my Basecamp to Lithium.

You were correct that the upgrade cost was well under $1000. The upgrade cost me around $700 (2 LiTime 100Ah batteries; a Victron VE.Direct Smart Bluetooth dongle for my Bluesolar 150 35 MPPT; 2 disconnect switches; cables, ends, and wiring).

I added the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor as well as purchased a LiTime 20A battery charger, and it still was under $1000 total.

I copied your install, using plywood as a backing for the disconnects and MPPT.

In the future, I may upgrade my WFCO WF8955 from the PEC to the AD-MBA which is Lithium compatible, but first want to see if the solar panels charge the batteries up to full. If so, maybe I won’t upgrade.

Anyway, a HUGE THANKS to you! Your posts with all the detail, the photos, and the quick replies to questions were very much appreciated!

I probably would not have upgraded had you not sent your initial post telling me about the cost. I had last researched Lithium batteries 18 months earlier, and the cost was much higher back then. Plus, you had done it with the same trailer, so that gave me the confidence to do it.

Again, thank you!

Best regards,
Tom
Old 03-05-2024, 05:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hi Tom:

Thanks for letting me know I was able to assist in your lithium upgrade. When I started researching my upgrade 5 years ago the cost was $3K plus and no Group 24 batteries. Hope you can enjoy your BC for many years to come without the challenges of lead acid batteries!

Safe travels,
Dave