Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Question 2019 Basecamp 16X Refrigerator

Hello Everyone!

We are first-time Airstream owners and we recently purchased a used 2019 Basecamp 16X with the original Dometic refrigerator from the dealer here in Dallas. This is my first question thread, and of course it is about the Dometic refrigerator about which I have been reading... and reading... and reading...

We leave for our first trip in 4 weeks. We do not see ourselves spending extended periods of time in the Basecamp or boondocking. Its role is really a *travel* trailer while we leisurely get from A to B where we would stay for any extended time in an AirBnB or NP cabin something.

Recommendations please!
1. Do nothing. Use ice chests as needed. Leave the problem for the next owner.

2. Have the AS dealer install the Nova Kool R3100 and trim kit. They want $1447 for the Nova Kool and they haven't yet broached the cost of the trim kit or the install. They are saying the R3100 would be in stock in 3-4 weeks. My guess is they will get close but not get it done in time for our trip.

3. Install a R3100 or R3102 myself at some point in the future. Based on my reading, I believe that would involve LP disconnect, 110vAC plug/wiring, and some cabinet work. I am a woodworker and pretty good with DIY projects. The Nova Kool dealers say they are not shipping new units until March.

4. Find/hack a better option.

5. Sell the Basecamp and get a Bambi or Caravel 20FB!
ftelliott is offline   Reply With Quote