Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
Exclamation 2018 Basecamp Side Access Door Window Blow-Out/Missing

Hello Basecamp fans,
Roc Ingersol here reporting on a 2018 Basecamp Side Access Door window blow-out.
I am creating a new thread on this serious issue as I just experienced this issue on the road and I did also check this forum and found this issue reported in different threads; so I am proposing anyone who has experienced this issue report it on this thread.
So, here is what happened…..
Our 2018 Airstream Basecamp experienced a side access door window blowout while traveling Sunday, October 28, 2018, on the freeway heading east out of Tucson, Arizona.
The window was found “missing” when I pulled over at a rest area.
I have attached pictures of the issue as well as my temporary fix.
It appears there was no adhesive on any of the aluminum extrusions to the glass and obviously door insulation missing. I am very surprised there are no mechanical fasteners.
As an aside, I had to take the Airstream door mat and use an entire roll of duct tape to close the opening so as to continue our vacation get us to the next little town to buy supplies to perform a temporary fix for security and maintain heat as we remote camp at high elevations. The temporary fix included a ¼” thick piece of plexi-glass bolted to the aluminum extrusions then following up with duct tape to cover the remaining door opening to maintain heat. The supplies cost us $115 and my labor to fix the issue, delay in vacation, and I had to contend with many onlookers asking what happened.
So, anyways, my temporary fix is working until a new part arrives from Airstream (Issue reported/documented in person to our RV dealer in Tucson, on Saturday, November 3rd).
I will call Airstream customer service and report the seriousness of this issue and my additional costs, I would hope that Airstream at least calls for a notice to customers to have the affected units inspected.
Hmmmmm, maybe I will get one of those so sorry posts from Airstream about the problem experienced?
Anyways, Basecamp fans please check your side access door window at the edge periphery for missing adhesive/etc.
Best Regards,
Roc Ingersol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4547.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	327107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4551.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	327108  

Name:	IMG_4552.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	327109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4563.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	327110  

RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocIngersol View Post
Hello Basecamp fans,
Roc Ingersol here reporting on a 2018 Basecamp Side Access Door window blow-out.
I am creating a new thread on this serious issue as I just experienced this issue on the road and I did also check this forum and found this issue reported in different threads; so I am proposing anyone who has experienced this issue report it on this thread.
Our 2018 Airstream Basecamp experienced a side access door window blowout while traveling Sunday, October 28, 2018, on the freeway heading east out of Tucson, Arizona.
It appears there was no adhesive on any of the aluminum extrusions to the glass and obviously door insulation missing. I am very surprised there are no mechanical fasteners.
As an aside, I had to take the Airstream door mat and use an entire roll of duct tape to close the opening so as to continue our vacation get us to the next little town to buy supplies to perform a temporary fix for security and maintain heat as we remote camp at high elevations. The temporary fix included a ¼” thick piece of plexi-glass bolted to the aluminum extrusions then following up with duct tape to cover the remaining door opening to maintain heat. The supplies cost us $115 and my labor to fix the issue, delay in vacation, and I had to contend with many onlookers asking what happened.
So, anyways, my temporary fix is working until a new part arrives from Airstream (Issue reported/documented in person to our RV dealer in Tucson, on Saturday, November 3rd).
I will call Airstream customer service and report the seriousness of this issue and my additional costs, I would hope that Airstream at least calls for a notice to customers to have the affected units inspected.
Hmmmmm, maybe I will get one of those so sorry posts from Airstream about the problem experienced?
Anyways, Basecamp fans please check your side access door window at the edge periphery for missing adhesive/etc.
Best Regards,
Roc Ingersol
Hi RocIngersol,*

We are very sorry to learn about your window blow-out in your Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. Someone will be in contact with you shortly after your information is provided.

Thank you.*
Old 11-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Roc, So sorry to here about your door window. Always read your post with great interest.Will keep an eye on mine as we are taking it out this weekend. Have to make sure a full roll of duct tape is in the tool kit. Thanks for the update. Chris
ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Hello Basecamp fans,
Best Regards,
Roc Ingersol

What is the shiny shield over your front and side windows?
ArawayCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

2017 Basecamp
Austin , Texas
2017 Basecamp door glass panel

Hello Roc,

Thanks to your post I went and checked my glass panel on the side door. You are so correct, there is nothing bonding the glass to the door other than the black caulk they used to seal/glue it. I see separation in my caulk and the glass panel is coming loose from the door. It would have only been a question of time before it too, flew off my door while traveling. I will need to take my basecamp back to have this issue repaired and I just got it back after being in the shop for nearly 2 months this winter. Still love my basecamp, even with all of this additional maintenance!!
JamesCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCraig View Post
Hello Roc,

Thanks to your post I went and checked my glass panel on the side door. You are so correct, there is nothing bonding the glass to the door other than the black caulk they used to seal/glue it. I see separation in my caulk and the glass panel is coming loose from the door. It would have only been a question of time before it too, flew off my door while traveling. I will need to take my basecamp back to have this issue repaired and I just got it back after being in the shop for nearly 2 months this winter. Still love my basecamp, even with all of this additional maintenance!!
Hi JamesCraig,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for assistance by sending us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 07-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #7

short hills , New Jersey
2018 BaseCamp owner. While I was driving my BC to the dealer for refrigerator recall work my door window fell out. It was perfect timing for this to happen. Took 3 weeks to get the new window delivered. When I picked up the BC after all the work was complete, the Service manager told me there was almost zero glue on the original frame. Glad to have the BC back.
mslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #8

2018 Basecamp
Telluride , Colorado
2018 Basecamp window blowout

I have also experienced to door window blowout. Somewhere in North Dakota. RV repair shop near my home in southwest Colorado cannot order replacement window directly from Airstream so asked me to do it. How do I best get a replacement window ordered?
randyroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Wow! Sorry to hear that. This just doesn't seem right. I know that very heavy curtainwall systems are held in place with caulking. This caulking must be a product capable of supporting the loads. Typically, this product would be DOW 795 or DOW 2-part caulking. If a regular caulking was used, it might not support the pressure and suction that the trailer glass would see. The bond is also dependant on surface area for the product. If the caulking is applied to edge of the glass, it may not do anything to hold the glass in.

Best thing to do is to contact Airstream Customer support at their listed number a few posts above.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
On our late 2019 Basecamp X there is an aluminum channel over the top of the door that overlaps the glass by maybe an 1/8" -- so the glass is retained by hefty aluminum at the bottom and this thin piece of aluminum at the top, in addition to adhesive that seems more solid than "caulk."
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #11

2020 16' Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Hello - We have a nearly new 2020 Basecamp X (16') with very little usage. At the beginning of a long trip a few months ago we were parked at a rest stop (nobody around) when we heard a strange noise. Further inspection revealed that the window on the access door had self-destructed. My assumption is that the tempered glass was processed improperly and simply needed some unknown amount of mileage and/or temperature fluctuations before failing. There was/is no other explanation aside from a manufacturing defect so one might expect Airstream's warranty to cover it. Shockingly, they don't, and we are now looking at a $1500 bill (window cost plus labor) from our local dealer to replace it. This is the prototypical motivation for a class-action lawsuit, so I am seeking other owners of Airstreams with manufacturing defects (glass in particular) that the company would not honorably cover. They have a legalistic answer, of course, as to why this issue isn't covered but I do believe they would quickly realize that PR damage from exposing faulty workmanship (and then failing to stand behind that work) is going to be more expensive than making good on their responsibilities as a manufacturer. I'm happy to pay the initial legal fees so simply looking for other examples of Airstream manufacturing failures and refusals to correct those flaws.

Regards,

Dan Ederer
dederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dederer View Post
Hello - We have a nearly new 2020 Basecamp X (16') with very little usage. At the beginning of a long trip a few months ago we were parked at a rest stop (nobody around) when we heard a strange noise. Further inspection revealed that the window on the access door had self-destructed. My assumption is that the tempered glass was processed improperly and simply needed some unknown amount of mileage and/or temperature fluctuations before failing. There was/is no other explanation aside from a manufacturing defect so one might expect Airstream's warranty to cover it. Shockingly, they don't, and we are now looking at a $1500 bill (window cost plus labor) from our local dealer to replace it. This is the prototypical motivation for a class-action lawsuit, so I am seeking other owners of Airstreams with manufacturing defects (glass in particular) that the company would not honorably cover. They have a legalistic answer, of course, as to why this issue isn't covered but I do believe they would quickly realize that PR damage from exposing faulty workmanship (and then failing to stand behind that work) is going to be more expensive than making good on their responsibilities as a manufacturer. I'm happy to pay the initial legal fees so simply looking for other examples of Airstream manufacturing failures and refusals to correct those flaws.

Regards,

Dan Ederer
Hi Dan,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having and would like to learn more. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can escalate it to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 02-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #13

2020 16' Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Access Door Glass Failure

I attempted to respond directly to Airstream as requested in their response to my previous post. My direct message was rejected due to a full mailbox.
dederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #14

2021 16' Basecamp
Mabank , Texas
2021 Basecamp 16X entry door window fell out!

I’m seeing all the problems with different year models, with the entry door window falling out or blowing off, and I just have to report that six weeks ago I bought my brand new Basecamp 16X, and last week I went to shut the door, and the window fell out of its frame! It doesn’t feel like there was ever any adhesive there at all, and it seems like it was only held on by a thin rubber gasket at the top. This is such shoddy workmanship I can’t even believe it. I understand there was a recall on the 2017‘s for this exact same problem, but you would think they could have this fixed by now. It is now held on by tape, while waiting for the Airstream to mail the adhesive to my dealer.
Kim Possible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #15

2017 Basecamp
St. Charles , Missouri
2017 Basecamp Access door window blew out!!

We took our Basecamp to Southern Illinois last night for a short overnight from St. Charles Missouri. Headed out on Interstate 64 Westbound this morning back home. Somewhere between mm 40 and 27we saw our trash bag flying out the window. We pull to off ramp and our side Access door window is gone! We duct tape to get it home and I searched blogs. Lo and behold here is a thread. We are so furious. This is a not a new issue?
Has anyone resolved this with Airstream? TIA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210815_103714.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	401944  
BoonesAirstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #16

2017 Basecamp
St. Charles , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Possible View Post
I’m seeing all the problems with different year models, with the entry door window falling out or blowing off, and I just have to report that six weeks ago I bought my brand new Basecamp 16X, and last week I went to shut the door, and the window fell out of its frame! It doesn’t feel like there was ever any adhesive there at all, and it seems like it was only held on by a thin rubber gasket at the top. This is such shoddy workmanship I can’t even believe it. I understand there was a recall on the 2017‘s for this exact same problem, but you would think they could have this fixed by now. It is now held on by tape, while waiting for the Airstream to mail the adhesive to my dealer.
Where did you see the recall on the 2017s? I just found this forum and posted by replying to this thread. Our 2017 Basecamp door window blew out this morning. TIA
BoonesAirstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #17

2018 Basecamp
Creswell , Oregon
Quote:
Hello Basecamp fans,
Best Regards,
Roc Ingersol
yep, happen on my 2018 BC 16, turns out it is recall item for airstream. Ask the dealer to order parts first. ours spent 3 months on the service lot before they arrived.
oakknoll is offline   Reply With Quote