Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
2017 Basecamp Tent

Has anyone tried to set the tents up yet. I thought it was a real joke. The instructions were terrible and the help at Pahaque was non-existent
dickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Here's a video that Airstream made showing pretty clearly how to pitch the tents. Hope it helps. I'll need to learn it soon enough!

https://youtu.be/BfZLn9r36qY
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
If I go the Basecamp route I have trouble envisioning sites where the side tent would work. I keep picturing myself on a narrow asphalt pad with a drop off in the middle of the tent floor.

I do like the idea of the tent in a rain storm because it would allow the door of the trailer to be open without letting in the rain. It also expands the living space a bit.

I do think that the rear tent would be useable in more sites. I think that whatever airstream I wind up buying I will buy a screen tent to go over the picnic table that is provided at most camping sites.

Am I overthinking this? The tents are expensive and I hate to buy one that I will rarely if ever use.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, we plan on avoiding the narrow asphalt pad campgrounds whenever we can. We're new to the rv thing and don't see us being fans of the parking lot style of camping we've seen pictures of. We chose the Basecamp because it seems a little more of a 'still camping' adventure style camper. We've been on many campsites where I think the tents would fit. The problem I foresee is having to break down the tents to go dump the tank if staying for an extended time. Plus, I'd only use the tents if we were staying for more than a couple days. We will tow with a Volvo XC90 rv so won't have room for one of those tanks on wheels. Hopefully we'll find some beautiful sites with sewer hookups. Will be an adventure either way.
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
We set mine up at the Dealer walk-thru for delivery. I did the visor here at home. For me the Visor and back tent would get it. Family events, with tall guys...front tent !
Video is good.
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:02 AM   #6

2017 Basecamp
Portland , Michigan
Tent Set Up!

We just purchased the Basecamp 2017 and set up the rear tent. The assembly would have gone flawless, but the track has some type of weather caulking around the screws (in the track) to prevent leaking. The caulking made it difficult to pull the "feed" along the track; we did it, but it took some pulling near the track. The black ribbon (to pull) was not enough; you need a second hand on the top to get it to move. We watched the set-up on you tube and the guy just easily pulled the ribbon and the "feed" glided along the track. That is not how it works if they have caulking in that track. Hopefully with each set up, it will be easier to feed the tent (feeder tube) along that track. It is really easy to set up after you get the top in that track.
Irus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Side and rear tent

Is anyone happy with the tent setup and use. Either the rear or side.

My suction cups will not stick well and when they do the grommets on the sides of the tent just pull out of the suction cups with any kind of gentle wind.

It just seems to be a real mess and unsatisfactory when I have them completely set up.

Just trying to see if it is just me or are others also having problems with the tents

Thanks
dickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Side Tent

We have a brand new side tent for sale. Please send me a PM if you are interested.
Chilcotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Tent has sold. Thanks for looking
Chilcotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #10

2017 Basecamp
CHEYENNE , WY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgeo View Post
Is anyone happy with the tent setup and use. Either the rear or side.

My suction cups will not stick well and when they do the grommets on the sides of the tent just pull out of the suction cups with any kind of gentle wind.

It just seems to be a real mess and unsatisfactory when I have them completely set up.

Just trying to see if it is just me or are others also having problems with the tents

Thanks
The suction cups are absolutely useless, especially if there is any wind. I have had to to have our side tent replaced and repaired several times. Lousy system, and definitely not worth the price paid.
JMH19 is offline   Reply With Quote