Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, even when the fridge is on propane it uses electricity a little doesn't it? Plus the obvious lights, water pump, heater blower. Don't those things work off the battery which is fed by the solar? I'm new to this so excuse my ignorance.
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I'm disappointed that they didn't put in an inverter. You can have 2 batteries and 160 watts of solar, and a Zamp plug at the front for additional free standing solar. Although I guess boondocking you're limited to the 22 gallon fresh water tank and 29 gallon combination grey/black tank so I guess unlimited electricity is moot.
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #83
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North Tonawanda , New York
Yes, I'm finding 12 volts are needed for all controls your fridge, sensors, etc. But a 7 connection plug from TV normally will supply this to your destination. Once there, no A/C or heat strip , microwave, toaster will work w/o a generator or plugged into a campsite.
Twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Warren , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowheels View Post
Yes, I'm finding 12 volts are needed for all controls your fridge, sensors, etc. But a 7 connection plug from TV normally will supply this to your destination. Once there, no A/C or heat strip , microwave, toaster will work w/o a generator or plugged into a campsite.

Personally I chose the solar and passed on the tents. That particular setup fit my plans the best. I don't set up in one place longer than a night or two and I'm rarely at the trailer, so the extra tent space didn't peak my interest. I am often sleeping at a trailhead and after an all day hike I can come back to a hot shower and full batteries w/o dealing with turning on the TV. I also weighed my decisions on possible resale value and felt the solar was a better factory option as the tents can added more easily at any time. Ultimately you have to do what's right for you.

You also might want to start a new thread to request details on the purchasing options from existing owners. You'll probably get more responses directly related to your questions. Hope this helps.
Bogy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Agree Bogy4 solar popularity seems to on the rise, and I do think resale will be a factor down the road, thanks for your input.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Flagstaff , Arizona
Had our Basecamp for a week and have discovered some of the already mentioned problems. The front door and bathroom door both flex considerably during travel. We were also told that the deadbolt wasn't needed when traveling and we had the front door swing open when we were in transit. The bathroom door has top and bottom clips that are too short to actually hold the door closed so our bathroom door has warped.

Definitely agree on the propane holder; what a pain. Lid won't stay up, and the tray that covers the propane tanks is a bear to get out. I would have expected an easier time to something that you have to turn off and on when you arrive and leave.

Also have the leak in the front under the refrigerator. Argh. That's on the punch list too to take to the dealer. Haven't been up on the roof to see if there are any issues up there.

The unit the dealer sold us was supposed to have the solar panel but didn't, so they installed it at the dealer. Here's hoping they did it right. The dealer orientation was minimal too since this was their first unit and they didn't seem to know too much about it. They still haven't told me where the battery is located.

Got the tents but the dealer didn't put the clips on nor clear the rail so the tent could slide into it. Now a two and a half hour drive back to the dealer to get things fixed.
So far it functions well, with the previous caveats. Still undecided if I'm happy with the purchase.
basecamp516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazgrass View Post
Had a great day with the Luna Sea (My BC). I spent some time with the Manuals.
I hooked up my new B.Ox, all good, easy peasy. Then towed her around the neighborhood off Gulf roads a bit. Felt good. Then in the lot behind the house I took a few shots at backing. I have mirrors ordered, so I did not have any extension. Used the bottom of the steering wheel... and no she does not behave like the 18 foot hobie... tough luck that ! So practice is in order.

I'm putting this in issues, just cause I love my BC (Luna Sea). And if there are problems in shake down, so be it. In our previous 4 streams there was always an issue. What matters to me is my Dealer Foley RV is first rate. I have never had a problem they did not solve. Ditto Airstream. And my Luna Sea is beautiful, she is not the Beta Demo they had early on. So anyone considering one. Don't miss taking a look.
She looks like Adventure
jasmine
I'll update the punch list I come up with end of week. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Could you provide a photo of how they installed your B. Ox. I got the wireless brake controller that is attached to the A-Frame on the street side. I was told there now is no room for a weight distribution hitch. I'm curious how they attached yours. I think the brake controller could be moved to under the A-Frame, per photos on the installation info. Thanks in advance!
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
I hooked up my new B.Ox, all good, easy peasy. Then towed her around the neighborhood off Gulf roads a bit. Felt good. Then in the lot behind the house I took a few shots at backing. I have mirrors ordered, so I did not have any extension. Used the bottom of the steering wheel... and no she does not behave like the 18 foot hobie... tough luck that ! So practice is in order.

I'm putting this in issues, just cause I love my BC (Luna Sea). And if there are problems in shake down, so be it. In our previous 4 streams there was always an issue. What matters to me is my Dealer Foley RV is first rate. I have never had a problem they did not solve. Ditto Airstream. And my Luna Sea is beautiful, she is not the Beta Demo they had early on. So anyone considering one. Don't miss taking a look.
She looks like Adventure
jasmine
I'll update the punch list I come up with end of week. Thanks everyone for sharing.
I asked for photos of your Blue Ox, but see that our posted them on the other forum about delivery, so I have that. Thanks!!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:

She looks like Adventure
jasmine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
Could you provide a photo of how they installed your B. Ox. I got the wireless brake controller that is attached to the A-Frame on the street side. I was told there now is no room for a weight distribution hitch. I'm curious how they attached yours. I think the brake controller could be moved to under the A-Frame, per photos on the installation info. Thanks in advance!
So sorry .... I see that you posted photos on the 'delivery' forum. Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Tent dealer prep

Our salesperson sent me a link to an Airstream video on setting up the tents. The first thing I noticed was the dealer prep that included installing snaps along the bumper for the tents. I sent an email thanking for the link and expressing my dissatisfaction with not getting the dealer prep for the tents.

The service manager called and apoligized (ours was the first one that they sold with the tents). She invited us back for the dealer prep and offered to throw in a free Walbernizing (sp?).

While we were there (did it on a Saturday morning when the dealership was doing an owners clinic that we had planned to attend), I asked about the water tank drilling holes issue and the seal around the front fridge vent.

They showed me pictures of the water tank on the first BC they had received. They had removed it after diagnosing the leak. There were several holes and water was exiting each one of them. They immediately got back to Airstream who then modified the table base install procedure.

If your BC was winterized, then your dealer flushed the water tank before delivery and would have seen the leak had holes been inadvertently drilled through the tank. If you still have doubts, fill the tank and look below the trailer.

Our trailer has been sitting in a temporary spot at home while we poured a concrete pad and built a cover. Given the rain we have had in northern California (as in tons), I would have expected that any unseen voids in caulking around the forward vents would have produced a leak. We saw no leak, but the dealer tech discovered a void in the caulk and resealed both front fittings. He said that there was also an internal seal on both fittings that should offer additional protection from water intrusion. In any case, everything up front is well sealed.

We installed the rear tent at the dealership. Contrary to my original thought that the tents might be too much hassle for anything less than a several day stay, we had the rear tent up in less than 5 minutes (with two people). I'm still not convinced that the bulk of the stored tents justifies loading them as an integral part of each trip we make, but at least they are much less time consuming than I had thought they would be.

Have to wait til Friday before the pad is cured. Then I will begin building the trailer port.

Oh, and the free Walbernizing (still unclear on the spelling) made the BC shine like a lighthouse beacon.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
After 3 weeks at the dealership for repairs, I am finally able to pick-up my Basecamp this weekend. Here's the verdict: Two leaks…. one by the wheel well by the side door, the other on the side by the shower. They also re-sealed the front vent. Water tank was replaced. Still waiting for the new laminate and flooring to be delivered and installed (flooring was damaged when installed; laminate separated due to water from the leak(s)). Let's hope she is ready to roll… I am eager to get out for our maiden voyage/camping trip… in the Pacific NW rain/snow, no doubt. I also asked them to check the door locks as a few people mentioned that as an issue (I also noticed this issue with my unit).

Thanks everyone for adding to this thread… I think we have all learned a lot from one another. Keep the comments coming. Happy adventuring!!!!
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
I visited the dealer to see my basecamp just after delivery and noticed the seal around the side door was not very tight and upon closer inspection could actually see light coming thru (see attached). I was told it might just need to be adjusted - ayone else have this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-03-08-21-10-47.png
Views:	218
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	281070  
ajpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Our grey/black tank sensor has an issue...noticed this on our second trip out and 6 trips later still acting the same. Thought I would throw this one out and see if any one else has noticed anything similar. You can fill up the grey/black and watch the sensor jump immediate from 56% to 100% every time. Never seen any numbers register in between.
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Went to an RV show a couple weeks back and to my amazement they had a Basecamp. I had no CLUE that Airstream brought these lemons back...they were a flop the first time around. I didn't know what I was seeing...like a time warp. I STILL can't believe it...they couldn't GIVE these things away years ago.

It had rained at the show and the Basecamp was wet inside; the door did not shut flush, and every single thing in that thing SCREAMED "cheap." The propane cover was already broken, and water dripped from the ceiling by the bathroom.

I saw the price and just laughed uncontrollably. How does ANYONE fall for such a farce???

Next they'll bring back the Squarestream 5th wheel. Those sold about as well.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Went to an RV show a couple weeks back and to my amazement they had a Basecamp. I had no CLUE that Airstream brought these lemons back...they were a flop the first time around. I didn't know what I was seeing...like a time warp. I STILL can't believe it...they couldn't GIVE these things away years ago.

It had rained at the show and the Basecamp was wet inside; the door did not shut flush, and every single thing in that thing SCREAMED "cheap." The propane cover was already broken, and water dripped from the ceiling by the bathroom.

I saw the price and just laughed uncontrollably. How does ANYONE fall for such a farce???

Next they'll bring back the Squarestream 5th wheel. Those sold about as well.
CC

Thanks for the useless rant.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #96
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Been looking at Basecamps since 2007. Like the utility and camping feature then and like it now. It's a tear drop type design that you can stand up in, and use toilet facilities in the middle of the night. It is so tow friendly to many vehicles on the market today and the perfect fit for families in their busy lifestyles. Yes they have had growing pains during this launch but will vehicles on taking care of from a company well known for trailer manufacturing. Can't wait for the arrival of mine.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
. . .
Thanks for the useless rant.
Well said . . .

The new Basecamp has its share of Airstream's well-known and unfortunate quality control [QC] issues, but it fills a niche and will be popular IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Our grey/black tank sensor has an issue...noticed this on our second trip out and 6 trips later still acting the same. Thought I would throw this one out and see if any one else has noticed anything similar. You can fill up the grey/black and watch the sensor jump immediate from 56% to 100% every time. Never seen any numbers register in between.

We've only been one one trip using the black/grey tank, but ours seemed to fill normally. I watched it go up in increments of 5-8% with dishwashing and so forth, up to 95 (then to 0 when we dumped it). The fresh water has seemed jumpy though, once going up inexplicably from 33 to 50-something. After that it returned to 33 and seems to be stable.

For people who have had trouble with their tables legs unscrewing, we recommend getting a strap wrench. That worked like a charm! I still don't have the magic to always get the tabletops off the short legs, however. It seems to be a matter of patience.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
We've only been one one trip using the black/grey tank, but ours seemed to fill normally. I watched it go up in increments of 5-8% with dishwashing and so forth, up to 95 (then to 0 when we dumped it). The fresh water has seemed jumpy though, once going up inexplicably from 33 to 50-something. After that it returned to 33 and seems to be stable.

For people who have had trouble with their tables legs unscrewing, we recommend getting a strap wrench. That worked like a charm! I still don't have the magic to always get the tabletops off the short legs, however. It seems to be a matter of patience.
The strap wrench is a good suggestion. How have you been getting the table tops off the short legs, when you say patience what do you mean? After trying out a Basecamp at my dealer I just concluded that I was too heavy for the bed and that my weight had jammed the tabletops onto the short legs. The dealer took the table tops and knocked them off the legs with a rubber hammer which did not see like a good long term solution to me.

Curious what approaches others have come up with.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
I rubbed a bit of paraffin on ours.