Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I read concerns about there not being any screens on the openings where the handles are to pop open the side windows. No screens would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my camper. I added a bit of screen to them, but realized later that it wasn't necessary since there are screens on the windows. The inserts fit snugly, but I added a couple of drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out. They have to be removed when the window is closed as the window opening handle would hit them. I will try to attach a couple of rather poor cell phone photos.
Sorry this was posted twice. The forum kept timing out on me or something and I did not think it posted the first time.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pekin , Illinois
Hi all.
I'm new here. The news about the QC on the water tank is disappointing. I have a deposit placed on a basecamp to be picked up early March. I will be sure to ask about the recall.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
The snap on screen for the rear door is really tight...so tight that we were not able to get the very bottom snapped on the first try. I think it will be better after some time to stretch a little.

The cloth covers on the window clasps are probably good enough for flies and most mosquitoes (unless they are very determined), but I wonder about creepy crawly things like spiders. And very determined mosquitoes.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Does anyone know what holds the back hatch door securely open? On the unit we saw at our dealer, There was a sturdy, short canvas strap at the hatch hinge that stopped the door from swinging open too far to hit the outside of the unit, but I could not determine what would keep the door open in place so one could enjoy the hatch view on a breezy day without the door swinging. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Does anyone know what holds the back hatch door securely open? On the unit we saw at our dealer, There was a sturdy, short canvas strap at the hatch hinge that stopped the door from swinging open too far to hit the outside of the unit, but I could not determine what would keep the door open in place so one could enjoy the hatch view on a breezy day without the door swinging. Joe
Best we can tell there is nothing that keeps it open in the wind. We used a bungee cord looped around the inner door handle and the skid bar on the underside of the trailer. A light rope or strap would be better since the bungee will stretch.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
I live in the South :-) ... lots of mosquitoes ... and I assumed, from some comments I saw, that the snap cover was not sufficient to keep mosquitoes out.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.B View Post
Hi all.
I'm new here. The news about the QC on the water tank is disappointing. I have a deposit placed on a basecamp to be picked up early March. I will be sure to ask about the recall.
Thanks for the heads-up.
I asked my dealership today and was told that my Basecamp was not part of the water tank recall.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
I agree, nothing was engineered to hold the back door open. I also was told, during my camper orientation, that you can only open that door from the inside. (??) I was pretty sure when I saw the 'demo' unit, that the back door could be opened from the outside. If mine opens from the outside, I haven't figured out how to do it! I also was told that some changes were made during later production, for instance, the drip guard above the back door of my camper is wider, thus works more effectively, than the more narrow drip guard they used when they first started producing them.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
The old Basecamp had a metal rod that snapped in place at the bottom of the rear door and the door frame to hold it open. It's shown on one of Patrick's old Basecamp videos. Too bad they didn't carry over something like that to the new model. I was figuring on using a bungee.
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
I like the idea of a Basecamp for travels when my wife and I retire which will happen for me this July and my wife this December.

That means that if we buy it will likely be a 2018 model. Buying a 2018 will allow for things like the water tank problems to have surfaced and been corrected as well as some other issues mentioned in this thread. Other improvements that I would like to see include the addition of a tank flush, a way to secure the rear door when it is open and better execution of the tables. When I viewed the demo unit in Ohio I set up the bed, laid down and then could not get the table tops off the table legs. I thought that perhaps I was just too fat for the base camp and my weight had jammed the table tops onto the legs but I see that others are having this problem as well.

Perhaps the biggest appeal of the basecamp for me is that I can get away with a smaller tow vehicle that I can fit in my garage. The biggest downside is that it is a two person trailer and not something that I could use to bring along the granddaughters.

Although I really, really want an airstream, I am not convinced that they make sense for middle class families. My cost all in (trailer and tow vehicle) will be over $100K and it will come with the need to pay ongoing storage, insurance and maintenance costs. YIKES, that would fund at least ten European vacations!

I am very conflicted about all of this and I am not at all sure what I will end up doing.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North Tonawanda , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikechuck View Post
I like the idea of a Basecamp for travels when my wife and I retire which will happen for me this July and my wife this December.

That means that if we buy it will likely be a 2018 model. Buying a 2018 will allow for things like the water tank problems to have surfaced and been corrected as well as some other issues mentioned in this thread. Other improvements that I would like to see include the addition of a tank flush, a way to secure the rear door when it is open and better execution of the tables. When I viewed the demo unit in Ohio I set up the bed, laid down and then could not get the table tops off the table legs. I thought that perhaps I was just too fat for the base camp and my weight had jammed the table tops onto the legs but I see that others are having this problem as well.

Perhaps the biggest appeal of the basecamp for me is that I can get away with a smaller tow vehicle that I can fit in my garage. The biggest downside is that it is a two person trailer and not something that I could use to bring along the granddaughters.

Although I really, really want an airstream, I am not convinced that they make sense for middle class families. My cost all in (trailer and tow vehicle) will be over $100K and it will come with the need to pay ongoing storage, insurance and maintenance costs. YIKES, that would fund at least ten European vacations!

I am very conflicted about all of this and I am not at all sure what I will end up doing.
I like you, will be in retirement in next two years and planning on using the basecamp extensively. What appealed to me now was the convenience of knowing it will not require a lot to pack up and go. The thought of a over night stay at my favorite fishing hole or hiking the trails or bicycling over night without a drawn out planned involved.
As for the grandchildren, when the opportunity is there I would most likely rent a cabin.[emoji4]
Twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikechuck View Post

Yearly insurance on mine is close to $800. If I wanted to pay it every 6 months, it would have been over $1,200 a year.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gush! I have of a quote of under $300.00 for the year, with $ 1000.00 deductible. You may want to shop around.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #35

Baltimore , Alaska
What company? Do they provide full replacement or depreciated cost?
Tucker211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
STATE FARM I haven't had the basecamp delivered to the dealer yet so as of this point it is a quote but have no reason for it to change much if at all. I raised the deductible to save on the premium. I have many vehicles insured through States Farm, Ilso maybe be a factor also
Old 02-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Basecamp back door

I reported earlier that during my Basecamp orientation I was told that the back door could only be opened from the inside. That is NOT correct. When unlocked and the 'deadbolt' thumb lock is 'up' on the inside, you can open it from the outside. Sorry for that misinformation.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowheels View Post
STATE FARM I haven't had the basecamp delivered to the dealer yet so as of this point it is a quote but have no reason for it to change much if at all. I raised the deductible to save on the premium. I have many vehicles insured through States Farm, Ilso maybe be a factor also
The quote you got from State Farm is much less than what I'm paying, and we have multiple policies with them also. I've got a year coverage for $622 with a $500 deductible, and I think it was around $500 with the $1000 deductible. That is not for full replacement value either. I am thinking of looking at another company. The dealership recommended American Adventure Insurance. Does anyone have any experience with that company?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Dang it, we had a heavy rain and our Basecamp had a puddle on the floor. It appears to be leaking either around the front window or the refrigerator vents behind the propane tanks, because the water seeped under the refrigerator. It's back at the dealership.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Lmnhead,

I think mine is leaking in the same place. My friend's unit is leaking around the front window. Good luck… keep us updated how the repairs go. Mine goes in today.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote