Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
2017 Basecamp Axle Recall

I called Airstream this morning and gave them my vin number. My Basecamp is part of the recall. Did not sound like they have an immediate fix, as I was told they would call me when they have the solution ironed out to let me know how and where to get it fixed .... that is paraphrasing.

Airstream recalls some 2017 Base Camp trailers
March 18, 2017

(March 18, 2017) — Airstream is recalling 293 model year 2017 Base Camp travel trailers. When the trailer is heavily loaded, the axle travel may allow the tires on the vehicles to contact the plastic liner of the wheel well or fender, possibly resulting in tire failure. Tire wear would be evident on the tire if it were contacting the inner wheel well liner.
Airstream will notify owners, and dealers will replace the axle to limit the axle travel, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 9, 2017. Owners may contact Airstream customer service at 1-937-596-6111, extension 7401 or 7411.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Luna Sea recalled

I'm recalled too. Airstream told me the "fix" was not known at this time entirely.
Suggested be mindful loading her and check tires for wear. I asked when they caught it, he said just 2 weeks ago.....
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the Basecamp Issues thread has a number of posts on this, starting at Post #119, including the following post:

[click on arrow next to user name to go to that thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Probably no need to check your VIN on the NHTSA site. If you have a Basecamp, yours is on the list.

All Basecamps manufactured up through the date of the voluntary recall are potentially affected. Airstream has received reports of scuffing on tires. They have tried to replicate the conditions leading to the suspension settling to the point where tires might travel enough to contact the fender flare with both an unloaded and loaded to gross capacity Basecamp but have not been successful yet. It is likely that real world driving conditions such as hittng potholes at speed are the issue.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
Probably no need to check your VIN on the NHTSA site. If you have a Basecamp, yours is on the list.

All Basecamps manufactured up through the date of the voluntary recall are potentially affected. Airstream has received reports of scuffing on tires. They have tried to replicate the conditions leading to the suspension settling to the point where tires might travel enough to contact the fender flare with both an unloaded and loaded to gross capacity Basecamp but have not been successful yet. It is likely that real world driving conditions such as hittng potholes at speed are the issue.
I am assuming the problem is behind the tire instead of above it, as there seems to be ample room above the tire on my camper. Seems to me that modifying the wheel well/fender would be a better approach to allow more room behind it.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I am assuming the problem is behind the tire instead of above it, as there seems to be ample room above the tire on my camper. Seems to me that modifying the wheel well/fender would be a better approach to allow more room behind it.

In my case, the smallest clearance between the fender flare and the tire is toward the front. Given the apparent eccentric swing on the Dexter axle, I would think that the tire would travel away from the front flare as it responds to road irregularities, but there might be another dynamic at play here.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Don't own one but could someone crawl underneath and look for the Dexter label. It should have enough info to easily determine the axle rated capacity. Then what is tongue weight, UBW and gross weight.

How's the numbers looking?

And dexter just supplied a part number to spec I bet.

My rig was built with lighter axles than parts book stated. Long story. Got me new axles.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Don't own one but could someone crawl underneath and look for the Dexter label. It should have enough info to easily determine the axle rated capacity. Then what is tongue weight, UBW and gross weight.

How's the numbers looking?

And dexter just supplied a part number to spec I bet.

My rig was built with lighter axles than parts book stated. Long story. Got me new axles.
Not a lot of room under there folks :-) Photo of my Dexter axle label attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter axle.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	281778  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
A month or so back, I took my SUV and camper to a truck stop to weigh it all. The axle of my camper that day weighed 2400 pounds. I didn't have anything loaded in the camper that day. The loaded capacity of the camper is 780 pounds, per the sticker on the inside of my door.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
In my case, the smallest clearance between the fender flare and the tire is toward the front. Given the apparent eccentric swing on the Dexter axle, I would think that the tire would travel away from the front flare as it responds to road irregularities, but there might be another dynamic at play here.
I see what you're saying about the space in front of the tire. Not much room.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Thanks for the photo, Gail. I see on one of your posts that you mentioned you are a nature photographer… very cool!!! Do you have a website where you post your photos? Oh, and thanks for the contact information for the recall… I will try calling tomorrow.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Thanks for the photo, Gail. I see on one of your posts that you mentioned you are a nature photographer… very cool!!! Do you have a website where you post your photos? Oh, and thanks for the contact information for the recall… I will try calling tomorrow.
Here is a link to my 'recent' photo albums on PBase. http://www.pbase.com/gnmimiller/root&view=recent

The most interesting link is to photos taken at a water feature in my yard:
http://www.pbase.com/gnmimiller/wate...ure_in_my_yard

Then ... my heart and soul ... my two Bernese Mountain Dogs, my traveling buddies; Floyd and Fiona:
http://www.pbase.com/gnmimiller/floyd_and_fiona
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Here is a link to my 'recent' photo albums on PBase. http://www.pbase.com/gnmimiller/root&view=recent

The most interesting link is to photos taken at a water feature in my yard:
http://www.pbase.com/gnmimiller/wate...ure_in_my_yard

Then ... my heart and soul ... my two Bernese Mountain Dogs, my traveling buddies; Floyd and Fiona:
http://www.pbase.com/gnmimiller/floyd_and_fiona
Great photos… especially of Floyd and Fiona. Did you get the additional tents so they each have their own den? I hope they get these issues resolved with the BC… I haven't even used mine yet.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
I see what you're saying about the space in front of the tire. Not much room.
Makes me wonder a bit if the issue is axle placement. I have not crawled under to look at the manner in which the axle assembly is attached to the frame, but I kinda wonder if there is fore/aft adjustment in the attachment area. Perhaps moving the axle aft a bit might be the ticket.

Then again, if there is only one option for where the axle connects to the frame, then it's on to other theories.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Torsion axles are usally mounted to the trailer frame with 2 bolts per side. As the suspension cycles the tire moves for and aft. The tire is at its most aft point when the axle arm is at 0 degrees. So yes axle placement by Airstream could be a possible issue. But there are more variables as well. Without personally inspecting one that is rubbing, there no real way to tell.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Moving axles for or aft can drastically change weight distribution through center of gravity. Tongue wt is affected. Be careful, good be good or bad.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Relocation or modification of the fenders would seem to make the most sense.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Just had a thought.. possible tire issue due to axle problem and no tool to lower the spare...... not a good combo
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Just had a thought.. possible tire issue due to axle problem and no tool to lower the spare...... not a good combo
My thoughts too ... :-(
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Thanks for the tip I also bought a new basecamp and called the number and mine is on the list too. The dealership didn't even know there was a recall.
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issue