Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2024, 04:51 PM   #1

Woodbury , Minnesota
14 days and 3,000 miles First Trip

I have learned so much from this forum I thought I would try to give some back. I recently took my first trip in a newly purchased 2023 Basecamp 20X and thought I would pass along my observations. I took it from Minnesota to Florida for two weeks to visit with my extended family. I did not buy a 20X for RV parks in Florida, but I thought this would be a good shakedown trip while avoiding airlines/rental cars/hotels. It was a 3-day drive each way and I boondocked for 3 of the four nights on the road. Of course, my ½ ton 6.2 gas GMC Sierra had no problem towing it. I debated the need for the Blue Ox weight distribution hitch, but I can tell you after this trip I am glad I bought it. For some background I have towed quite a bit over the years, mainly larger boats and cargo trailers along with the occasional travel trailer rental. And I have towed the Basecamp a bit mainly locally without the WD. When you get up to higher highway speeds, in windy/stormy conditions or all of the above on a curvy mountain or Nashville/Chattanooga/Atlanta highway the WD really makes a difference. I observe absolutely no sway or bouncing that I am certain would occur if I did not have it. I know there is some debate with the need of a WD hitch with this setup but count me on the worth it side. I had plenty of water for a shower and battery capacity to run everything including the furnace for each night. I had the Battle Borne lithium battery upgrade done when I bought the Basecamp. I wish I had them install a “smart shunt”. The whole trip the voltage reading was either 14.2v when hooked up or 13.2v when not hooked up. The 13.2 would show the night before and morning after running the furnace all night. Apparently, a smart shunt will provide a better battery usage/capacity reading. The part costs around $100 but the install I was told is quite extensive if the batteries have already been installed.
I was hooked up in a very nice RV park in Florida for about 10 days. It looked hilarious parked on a 40ft pad between two very large rigs! Everything worked as advertised. However, I found that you can see into the wet bath a bit at night even with the curtain closed. I hung a towel in front of the window and plan on adding some more tinting. The wet bath floor is always wet, so I ordered a teak mat to avoid having to strip below the waist every time I had to use the toilet. The furnace had a loud rattling noise that was a problem on cold nights, and I had to wear ear plugs. Also, the thermostat is rather finicky. When it warmed up outside the AC cooled the space down quickly. But the fan runs continuously and on the loud side. I think Airstream went too cheap with the HVAC system. I had to work on the sleep/mattress situation. I started with a 4-inch memory foam pad but that was not enough. I ended up buying an additional 4-inch pad at Walmart and that seemed to do the trick.
All things considered I really like my Basecamp. It is wonderful to tow and feels like it was built like a tank. I took it to the dealer to have the furnace rattle fixed under warranty and an electric jack stand installed. The WD requires a lot more “cranking” of the stand. I should have had the electric version installed when I bought it. One thing I should add it when I took it to the dealer, they found a crack in the roof. Apparently, they are having issues with “a batch of roof panels cracking in very cold weather” and it will have to be replaced under warranty. I will keep you posted.
PRmtnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum. It's great to have you "aboard". And thanks for the good report. Helping others is another benefit of the forum.

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
Thanks for the trip report. We will be doing our first overnight with our new Basecamp 20x. We had a FC23FBQ that we traded in for the Basecamp in February and just haven’t had the chance for a shakedown trip. We are still quite new to towing - only had the FC for a little over a year.
I am a little nervous about the single axle and a possible flat but think the Basecamp is a better fit in all other aspects.
Except for the bathroom. I will miss that big bathroom. We may have to look into a teak mat. Thanks for that.