Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
12v to 110 Inverter

Does anyone have experience with 12v to 110 ac inverters? I’m thinking this could be an inexpensive alternative to an inboard inverter until we decide to pull the trigger on a “real one”. Any help is appreciated. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9AB684C9-B0C0-4DE8-8F81-A91F9A9C51B7.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	421286  
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
Does anyone have experience with 12v to 110 ac inverters? I’m thinking this could be an inexpensive alternative to an inboard inverter until we decide to pull the trigger on a “real one”. Any help is appreciated. See pic.
Yes, but you probably want to get a quality sine wave model. I run a xantrex 600watt stand alone inverter. All I use an inverter for is occasional charging of my son-in-laws cpap and tv on rare occasions. Laptop recharge too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
I would strongly suggest a higher end option, such as a Xantrex, ExpertPower, or a Victron. Amazon sells Victron and ExpertPower options, both of which offer a very clean signal based on testing I have done.

I have no experience with this particular model. But at that price, I would test it a LOT before I trusted anything to it.

Avoid Bestek if you want to charge anything with sensitive electronics, as it ends to have a floating ground, which is obnoxious and causes weird glitching with things like keyboards.

The other option is to get a “lithium battery generator.” Unless you pair it with solar it isn't really a generator, but it's essentially a large lithium battery pre-integrated with a quality inverter.

And, as the last option to consider -- if you own a Milwaukee 18V battery, they make a tool called the “top off,” which has a 175W inverter built into it. Think USB battery bank coupled with an inverter. Very portable and inexpensive if you already have the batteries. Some folks report low voltages off of it, which I haven't personally seen, so be aware of that.

Be sure you are aware of the draw of devices you want to power. A lot of things draw more than you think, especially at startup.
dkmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcgrath View Post
I would strongly suggest a higher end option, such as a Xantrex, ExpertPower, or a Victron. Amazon sells Victron and ExpertPower options, both of which offer a very clean signal based on testing I have done.

I have no experience with this particular model. But at that price, I would test it a LOT before I trusted anything to it.

Avoid Bestek if you want to charge anything with sensitive electronics, as it ends to have a floating ground, which is obnoxious and causes weird glitching with things like keyboards.

The other option is to get a “lithium battery generator.” Unless you pair it with solar it isn't really a generator, but it's essentially a large lithium battery pre-integrated with a quality inverter.

And, as the last option to consider -- if you own a Milwaukee 18V battery, they make a tool called the “top off,” which has a 175W inverter built into it. Think USB battery bank coupled with an inverter. Very portable and inexpensive if you already have the batteries. Some folks report low voltages off of it, which I haven't personally seen, so be aware of that.

Be sure you are aware of the draw of devices you want to power. A lot of things draw more than you think, especially at startup.
Thanks for your help. I have been researching the Bluetti and Jackery but at $1,500-$2,000, I think we are going to wait to see how we end up using the Basecamp to see if it's worth the investment. Great info on the alternatives you listed and I will look into them. Thanks again.

Erick
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yes, but you probably want to get a quality sine wave model. I run a xantrex 600watt stand alone inverter. All I use an inverter for is occasional charging of my son-in-laws cpap and tv on rare occasions. Laptop recharge too.
X2 for getting a pure sine wave inverter, that gives you maximum flexibility. The cheaper square wave based units are ok for running fans, but they are *not* good for electronics. Guidance or suggestions beyond that probably requires more background on what your objectives are (what are you trying to power via inverter), and what is your battery bank made of (ie your amp hours, AGM/lead acid/Lithium, etc) ....
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
I've been reading up a bit on these threads about electricity. Seems to me the commonality in the forum is that just about everyone here has an Airstream. Where we diverge is where we come from and where we want to go. Some are former backpackers and campers that still long for the wilderness experience, and others want to enjoy many of the comforts of home while they gain new experiences in new places. All perspectives are valid and commendable.

For my wife and I, we like to "get away" when we camp. That means very few hook ups, and an experience closer to being in a tent than a house. That being said, as each year passes, we move a little closer toward comfort and away from wilderness. At the present, we don't watch TV, coffee is made in a percolator, and the internet is left behind while camping. These choices define our power needs.

Our power consumption comes from the water pump, furnace (very rarely), water heater (somewhat rarely), lights (all LED), and the big one - the fridge (I am probably missing something). In full sun, we can get by with our 180 watts of solar on the roof. We carry a 200 what solar suitcase for the shade, and a generator that hasn't been used to power the trailer in over a year for "just in case."

This Summer we added a 300 WH (small - inexpensive) Jackery power station for charging the bluetooth speaker (music), and phones (music). As an added bonus, it will power my wife's hairdryer and curling iron for a few minutes each day. If we need to, it can be recharged with a small solar panel.

For a little peace of mind, I would like to upgrade from AGM's to lithium batteries.

Figure out where you want to go, and if it involves a lot of 120 V, pull the trigger right away and get the big fancy inverter. If you go this direction, you will also need a lot of battery capacity, and more solar (or a generator). Or, camp with hook ups.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
+1 for Victron Mulitplus
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Westfield , Wisconsin
1+ also for Victron. Inverter or multiplus.
MINICS04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v