Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Grand Junction , Colorado
12 VDC Connector in 2019 Basecamp

Recently purchased a previously owned 2019 Basecamp (not X). Nice unit with factory installed solar on the roof - seems like a great boondocking unit!

I have not been able to find a 12 VDC connector either in the manual or in the trailer itself. So I'd first like confirmation that these units in fact don't come equipped with a 12 VDC connector built-in.

Assuming there really isn't an existing 12 V connector, I'd like to add one. We have a lithium power station with inverter that we'd love to be able to recharge while boondocking (in the sunshine) in order to charge a laptop, etc, or run a blender or some small AC device.

I'm guessing that someone has done this before and I'd love it if you'd share your experience.

Thanks,
John
JohnDDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
Yes you are correct that there are no 12 v dc power points, except of the "Zamp" connector on the outside.

I needed a cigarette lighter style socket in the rear of the trailer for a Lenovo 12 volt PC power supply. It was when the trailer was brand new and my spouse was not yet comfortable with having holes drilled in it.

I happened to have an appropriate wire gauge extension cord with a cigarrette lighter socket on one end and the plug on the other end. I cut off the plug, routed the wire from the back of the trailer through the slot under the back of the divider between the cabin and the water pump area and into the WFCO. Then I attached the red wire to one of the open fuse connections in the WFCO power distribution block, and connected the black wire to the ground connection at the WFCO (just loosened the screw on a #6 white wire, pushed the black wire in and retightened screw.

Closed think up and done... You should choose a fuse rating based on your load and wire size.

You should have a WFCO manual in your packet -- if not online -- shows how its assembled and wired..
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Thank you Basecamp19 for that confirmation of no connector and helpful description of the wiring of a cigarette lighter connector.

I don't have our Basecamp here at the house so I can't pop out and take a look - but how did you access the back of the fuse panel? I take it that the wood panel on the top of the roadside dinette bench is simply screwed down and you just unscrewed and lifted off to get to the fuse panel?

Altogether, that seems fairly simple. (Things often seem simple before you open them up.)

Thank you very much for your helpful response!
John
Old 08-18-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
You'll want to unscrew and lift up the bench to get to the back of the WFCO unit that contains the fuse panel -- to route the wires and put them through the cable entries... but actually connecting the wires is done from the front with the fuse panel in place. The plastic bezel that protrudes from the side of the bench and covers up the wiring unscews from the rest of the WFCO panel -- there are some (I think) Phillips head machine scewss -- and then you can access the wring posts you need to. Obviously it's best to do this either very carefully or with the trailer disconnected from AC and even the battery switch in the disconnect position.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
12 VDC Connector in 2019 Basecamp

Thanks Basecamp19 for your helpful notes. I managed to get my 12 VDC connector wired into the WFCO as you described. Following the WFCO manual, I kept looking for some kind of buss bar for negative leads but didn't see anything nearby, so I did as you suggested and just connected into the 2nd post of the NEG-.

Had a nice two piece cigarette lighter and USB connector that I mounted through the divider back by the pump access. Now I can charge my lithium power storage unit from solar and use it's AC adaptor to charge my laptop while boondocking.

Always makes me a little nervous to modify my RV so it helps to be able to take advantage of some prior experience.

Thanks,
John