Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1971-1972 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Gardiner , New York
Send a message via AIM to ishmael
Question '71 Excella 500 31ft

Hi to all,
This is a general shout out to all other 71 Excella owners out there,(if you exist) and a question to all as to why in the Forum listings(and other listings I've seen) there isn't a category for the Excella in the year 71. Am I missing something?? I would love to hear from anyone, as we embark on our new A/S adventure, and to give a general thanks to all the posters that we have already gotten SOOOOO much information from.

Seeing that we have absolutetly NO experience w/trailers so we're thinking that an inspection of all the systems is the smartest thing to start w/. That being said, is it imperative to go to an actual A/S dealer or can any RV place give it a good once over and let us know what needs to be addressed in terms of systems and frame/etc? Hate be going down the road and have something major league wrong happen.
I am attaching some picts of our new baby, and look forward to hearing from you, getting on the road(after general cleaning, inspection, repairs and restoration, so, say, in approx. 25 yrs) and seeing some of you.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	af_1.JPG.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	25272   Click image for larger version

Name:	9a_1.JPG.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	25273  

Name:	88_1.JPG.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	25274  
ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Axles

Congrats on your new purchase.

UGH! I hate to even suggest this, but from the photo, it looks like your AXELS have bottomed out. That's NOT a good thing! It would be a good idea to check them. Lots of info on this site on how to do that. Good luck, Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I checked it out and you are right, no Forum under Excella 500 for the 1971 and 1972. I added one, so you can post there. Seems that 71 was the first year for this model.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Gardiner , New York
Axels

Oh great, I knew MY axel bottomed out years ago but never suspected the Airstream had the same problem. Thanks for the info, now I have to ask how you can tell(again only because I have no knowledge of what a bottomed axel looks like) and how involved is it to get fixed. Is it ok to pull?? At least to a dealer to or mechanic to have looked at??
Oy! the fun begins.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Gardiner , New York
Oh, and any other Hudson Valley NY area Airstreamers out there that can reccommend a good place to have the beast looked at??
Cheers
Old 08-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hi Ishmael,

I actually have a 1971 Excella 500 sales brochure at home...I'm in Arizona right now for school, but I'd be happy to scan it and send you the pics. I really don't see what's wrong with your axles. Mine sits the same as yours, and the axles are fine. Crawl under there and look at the axle. If the axle arm is sitting level or less with the frame, then you need new axles. If they don't, and you have everything in the trailer that you would be carrying with you on a trip, then you're okay. Talk to Henry (axleman), our resident axle guru on the forum. He is the expert!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Ishmael,

Welcome, and what an interesting Airstream!

Here's some good info on the axles:

http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm

My 79 has a couple of inches showing above the rims (pix in my gallery) and the arms have a slight downward angle. If you look in my gallery, you'll see one picture of the trailer up on a ramp with the other wheel in the air. That shows how much the wheel can come down.

And if you raise it and the wheel DOESN'T come down, that's a sure sign of a stuck axle.

Do a search of the forum on the word "axles." Then get an adequate supply of your favorite beverage and something to snack on, and then dig in. You will be here *for a while.*

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Gardiner , New York
Hey thanks again to you guys for all the info. I'll take a closer look and see what the deal might be with the axels. Like I said before we are REALLY green at all this maintenance stuff and were thinking we might have gotten in over our heads. But, after perusing the original service manual that came with it(and it shows only 9 "easy" steps to replace an axel) I'm back to thinking it's all good. We knew we were in for some surprises as it looked too good to be true so when we found a little spot of rot on the floor under the front passenger side window after tearing up the "lovely"orange shag we weren't too surprised. Checked around and didn't seem to be any other bad spots. We'll see....
It's an adventure and we're looking forward to it, even my 3 yr was diggin pullin the carpet tacks out of the floor so we have a good crew.
Aagin, thanks and off to get my "beverages" and start Airstream 101.
Cheers,
Michelle
Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Michelle,

101 can last a while. It's great that you have the service manual.

You'll soon be thinking about the expenses involved for repairs and updates, but you need to apply a filter. You have a classic Airstream. Nobody really knows how long these trailers can last. The ones that have been killed so far were in accidents or ones that experienced total neglect.

You're unlikely to experience a problem that somebody HERE hasn't already dealt with, and that should be comforting to you.

We all welcome you and want to enjoy and benefit from your new trailer (FIRST Excella - WOW!), and folks here will help as best they can.

Even if it gets tough, keep your eyes on the prize. There are not many other RVs designed to INHERIT. Once you fix it the way you like and make it your's, you'll have many years of ownership and use to enjoy what labor you put into it in the near future.

That may sound like hyperbole now, but you'll see.

And congratulations for involving the next generation. You may get to leave him this trailer way down the road.

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 08-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Gardiner , New York
We are definitely looking at it as a long term project/investment. And have to say that for it age it really seems to be in good condition and everything interior is still original(the pictures are as we bought it and have since cleaned out the mishmatch of accessory pillows and curtains and the layer of ick on the walls ).
We are only the third owners and are very inspried by what we have seen others do with there A/S. We like that as it gives us the option of keeping it as close to that with "needed" updates. Or really go for it - which I doubt we'll do - (but never say never right? )
Will post pictures as we move along in our process and hopefully we will be able to help other with theirs in the future as we become better aquainted with the A/S workings.
Oh and seriously, I still have not heard from any other 71 Excellas out there. It's kind of like being the redhead step child, are they that rare. (Gee if we're the lat one maybe that will help it's value) Let me know if anyone knows of any others.
Cheers,
Michelle
Old 08-28-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Michelle,

We have a forum member named 71excella500, and member strongmac posted about window replacement on a 71 Excella earlier this year.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ent-23027.html

So there's at least two others out there.

Have fun.

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Welcome aboard

Michelle congrads on your new baby. I would look and see if you have an Airstream dealer in your area for us ours is 4 hours away. We live in a fairly small town and it was hard for me to find someone to work on the brakes, grease the bearing's etc but we did luck out and found a great shop that did all that for us. We also found a reg. rv place about 1 hour from the house and they did some work on the A/C but be very careful with other rv places some of them just don't understand our silver bullets. I'm very very picky with mine just ask my husband he thinks I go a little overboard sometimes.
The main thing is to be sure you have no leaks and as I tell all new Mama's re-seal everything outside the top, vents, windows etc do a search and you will find all the needed info on what to use and not to use.
They are a labor of love and the fun has just started for you.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Gardiner , New York
Yeah we found the closest dealer is in CT about a 3 hr drive, looked into a local place that said they could check the systems out and guess we'll go there as it's less than an hr drive.
Also, am sending new picts of the tires at our property, for any of you axel pros out there. It's on a bit of a hill, and not level front to back or side to side, passenger side being the biggest weight bearing side. If anyone can tell I'd love to hear some other opinions. We'll probably still have it all cheked out to be sure but maybe I won't worry as much driving it to be serviced that something drastic might happen.
Any first is of passenger side and there is some space from rim to frame and more so on driver side that is not bearing as much weight.
Also, sent a pict of my best helper. Hey, he's going to inherit it so he might as well do some work on it, besides he LOVES tools, and did a great job pullingout those nails.
Cheers,
Michelle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheels.gif
Views:	220
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	25298   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	25299  

Attached Images

Old 08-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Axels

Michelle, the last photos look much better. The more distance you have from the top of the rim to the outer edge of the wheel well, the better....within reason, of course. 2 inches or more is what you are looking for. Looks like your axels may be OK. That's good! When you have your trailer parked on a level hard surface, a quick look under there to check the angle of the torsion bars will confirm their condition. Axels are an expensive thing to replace and few owners have the necessary tools, jacks, expertise..... and a capable helper, to do the job. I would NEVER tackle that chore alone, if at all! And, of course, when you pay a competent place to do it, they charge BIG $$$. Bad Axels are definately not good news. Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Ishmael , I believe Holiday on Wheels in Patterson NY is , or was an Airstream dealer . 845-878-9400 Good luck and congrats
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Michelle,

You'll never know until you get under there and look at the axle angles. And I guess they could be stuck down if parked on an irregular place.

It's good that this is easy to figure out. From the looks of your trailer, I don't think it has a whole lot of miles on it.

I'd be worried more about rigid axles than heights. Things you can look for as signs are cracks in the ceiling over the walls, especially in the areas over the axles in the middle of the trailer.

It's unlikely, I'd think, that a 35-year-old trailer WILL NOT have axle issues. (I'm already thinking about replacing mine.)

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I would NEVER tackle that chore alone, if at all! And, of course, when you pay a competent place to do it, they charge BIG $$$. Bad Axels are definately not good news. Bill[/quote]

I don't agree with Bill. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I have rebuilt several old cars and can fix just about everything. I am replacing the axles on my '73 Excella. Four bolts and the shock absorber for each axle. They weigh about 180# each. Different jacking techniques suggest that using lumber to raise the front axle while removing the rear and vice versa. You can search for pictures on previous threads.

If the arm is parallel to the frame or above, it probably need to be replaced. My replacement axles are the original Airstream brand and included everything except for the wheel and tire. I will be putting them on this weekend and will post pictures for all.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #18
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by defelice
I would NEVER tackle that chore alone, if at all! And, of course, when you pay a competent place to do it, they charge BIG $$$. Bad Axels are definately not good news. Bill
I don't agree with Bill. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I have rebuilt several old cars and can fix just about everything. I am replacing the axles on my '73 Excella. Four bolts and the shock absorber for each axle. They weigh about 180# each. Different jacking techniques suggest that using lumber to raise the front axle while removing the rear and vice versa. You can search for pictures on previous threads.

If the arm is parallel to the frame or above, it probably need to be replaced. My replacement axles are the original Airstream brand and included everything except for the wheel and tire. I will be putting them on this weekend and will post pictures for all.

Joe[/quote]

This seems to be a "Before" and "After" story. What will Joe's comments be "After" he has replaced and aligned his axels?!!

From the experience he sights, it seems that Joe kinda knows his way around heavy mechanical projects and is equipted to do this job much more than the average Airstream owner.

Each axel weighs 180 pounds! Hmmm.....well, we can bet that Joe has a capable, muscular helper......and if not, Joe, we want to see a photo of YOU!

We will be looking for all the photos and a report, Joe! Hope things go as easily as you implied. Bill
Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Well Here Goes

Hesitated to post this since I'm so new to the Forum and certianly not an axle expert. But, here we go for what it's worth.

Called Airstream right after I brought the 71 home in July to get parts numbers. Got into a discussion about wheel bearings and the parts person said "hold on XYZ just walked by - he's a technician and he's been here forever - he knows everything". Got off that topic onto axles.

Summary of his comments on the topic of axles:

what makes you think you need new axles

who's telling you you can tell a bad axle by how much the wheel well hangs down on the tire - where does this crap about axles come from

do you know how many different designs we've had on wheel wells over the years - you can't tell crap about an axle from the amount of overhang - of course a new axle is going to stiffen the trailer and lift it a bit - that doesn't mean the old one was bad

when was the trailer towed last when you looked at the amount of overhang - was it snugged up on jacks at the time - did you just let it down off jacks-was it sitting on just the axles for a more than a day or two - how much stuff do you have in it

when did you last tow it - at highway speed did it tow straight (yes) did it flex with the highway dips smoothly (yes)

then you don't need new axles - keep your wheel bearings and seals up -check the shocks we didn't put em on there for looks

Again I know nothing about axles but possibly worth sharing.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Ganglin,

With the exception of Henry's input, that was probably one of the best written posts I've ever read about axles. It just goes to show that the factory still has some folks who know what they're talking about, and that we shouldn't just run out there and buy axles because we're "told" to.

You get good karma for that one, if the site lets me give it to you.

Frederic

P.S. It wouldn't let me, of course, so I'll try again when we get back to MD...I think it has something to do with the server here....arrrgghhhh!!!!!!!

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote