Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Vandal Breaks Every Window & Screen in My 1953 Cruiser

Help!!

I need advice on how to replace all the windows in my 1953 Cruiser. All of the screens (which were all in perfect condition) were also all ripped or punched out.

My major question is what type and thickness of glass should I get? It looks like regular household window glass was originally used.

I have found the window gasket and the small nuts & bolts which hold the window frame together at Vintage Trailer Supply.

I have no idea where to start with the screens. What type of screen should I get and how is it installed?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrecked 1953 Airstream 064 small.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	18851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrecked 1953 Airstream 075 small.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	18852  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrecked 1953 Airstream 077 small.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	18853  
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Oh man...you must be sick! I can't help with your specific questions, but I just want to encourage you and let you know I feel for you! Any idea who did this? Any body damage? If not, count your blessings, that would be much more difficult to repair ~ also, be glad it's flat glass & not the curved Cornings...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Problem Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Oh man...you must be sick! I can't help with your specific questions, but I just want to encourage you and let you know I feel for you! Any idea who did this? Any body damage? If not, count your blessings, that would be much more difficult to repair ~ also, be glad it's flat glass & not the curved Cornings...

Shari
Thanks for the encouragement. I am sick about it. Yes, I do know who did it...my 6 year old nephew. Don't ask why, I haven't figured it out. His father will pay for the damage, but it is still going to take a lot of work for me to fix it.

Except for some small dents on the bottom of some of the window frames and some nicks on one of the rear corner curved panels, no major body damage. He used a swing blade. If he had uses rocks like he has done on other family property in the past, then I'm sure there would have been dents in the body. In that case, his father would own it. (or I would part it out).
Old 03-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Wow! Suddenly my son's antics look like nothing. Good luck.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Sorry to hear about the damage caused by your 6 year old nephew. Here's a link to R.J. Dial's wonderfully informative Airstream restoration web site. His 1957 Flying Cloud appears to have the same type of Hehr standard windows as your 1953 Cruiser, so you should find his illustrated procedures very helpful. Wander around there for other great hints. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

http://www.vintageairstream.com/floy...n/windows.html
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, there are some folks that don't believe in spanking a child, but I'd have to say, that 6 year old's behind sure earned it if I ever saw a case that would support it without DCFS taking him away....then again, after the kid trashed you're stream would DCFS' action be all that hard to swallow? I'm sure those that don't agree with spanking would consider a time out, grounding or loss of a gameboy punishment enough. If I were the father, I'd be heartbroken my child did something like this.

Sorry to hear about the damage. That kid should know better than that at 6 years old. One window maybe, but the lot? That's just plain crazy.

He's family...just think about it, about 18 years from now, when the anger and heartache goes away, you'll sit in front of a campfire and give 'em a good ribbing for it over a beer, after you collect your free slug....hopefully, he'll have bought the rounds that evening and consider it time served (of course long after his caining is over with from when he was 6).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
You know, there are some folks that don't believe in spanking a child, but I'd have to say, that 6 year old's behind sure earned it if I ever saw a case that would support it without DCFS taking him away....
Do you have children?

I have two boys - 5 & 6 years old.

Number 2 son is on a distinctly different developmental curve than his older brother. Kim & I work with it. Some children do not understand things like you & I do.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yee-ouch! This really shakes me up -- I feel for you. It will take you longer to repair your spirit than the Cruiser. Sure, some things will never be the same... But before he reaches those 'never mind' teen years, I hope you and your nephew can work out a camping trip with some fishing.

Best wishes -- come back to this thread and let us know how it's going.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
im sorry you found out who did it, as it was family.....had you caught the vandals, i would have suggested gender re-assignment.....hopefully the appropriate punishment(although he is quite young) will steer him in the right direction.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Any good glass shop can make windows....

Don't pay extra for window glass just because you have an Airstream and especially just because its' an older model.
Any good glass shop will cut new windows out of suggestably shatterproof glass.....
Just schedule an appointment when they are slow

The screens can be done with bulk screen material purchased at Lowes or Home Depot...

Regarding the other comments......
Why don't we all stay on topic here?
I don't see where the author of this thread was asking for parenting advice....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jim -- I tried to keep it within reason.... Biologicals are rather more sensitive (and imprintable to the positive!) than aluminum.

Your glass shop can take specific measurements, then order tempered of same. Any thoughts on that?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The windows on your Cruiser should be standard glass, just have it cut to dimension, and the screens are standard household screen. Now would be a good time to upgrade to nylon screens, and maybe tempered glass to replace the standard glass. Good luck with it.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1963 19' Globetrotter
Forest , Mississippi
screens and windows

Hi
I live in Forest not far from you , matter of fact I work in Jackson and Drive through Brandon every day. If you would like, I could help with your screens and glass, Just replaced my screen this last weekend not much to it most of the supplies you can get from lowes on hwy 25. Send a message if you need help, but I have drill this weekend with 172 MDG

Chad
2toomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up Now that is a nice guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toomany
Hi
I live in Forest not far from you , matter of fact I work in Jackson and Drive through Brandon every day. If you would like, I could help with your screens and glass, Just replaced my screen this last weekend not much to it most of the supplies you can get from lowes on hwy 25. Send a message if you need help, but I have drill this weekend with 172 MDG

Chad
What a great offer! Good karma sent your way....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Unhappy Bummer!

So sorry you had to experience this, how frustrating for you and his parents. Its really sad too that your 6 year old nephew is seeking attention in this way. Kids at that age often have no idea of consequences. I wonder if he will get a chance to be part of the repairing process, to see what the trailer means to you and how it hurt you that it was damaged? I hope that your relationship with your nephew will be repaired as well as the trailer. Best wishes.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I would be floored by the window breakage,,,,,,,,,, Please be sure he helps inthe replacement,he is a child , but needs to understand what it is to you,let him spend some time with you while you repair it, good luck with the job , I see my nephew Jacob doing this, good luck and I hope the child has learned something,
Old 03-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Vandalism Lesson

Sorry to hear about the problem with your trailer. The glass thickness should be no problem for a local glass shop to figure out, and they should be able to get correct measurements from your coach as to height and width of windows. If I were you I would order the new ones in heat tempered glass as a safety item for the future. It will also make them more resistant to breakage. The situation with your nephew is a tough one. Best handled with his parents help to make him aware that bad choices come with some consequences. I like the idea that he should help in the repair process even if that help is limited to cleaning up the broken glass [with adult supervision] or say cleaning the interior of the trailer while the repairs are underway. Then talking to him to make him understand why he should respect others property. This can have a very lasting effect on him for the good if done correctly. Let us know how you make out. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Sorry to hear about your 'Stream. What a great neighbor you must have in Chad. I hope you can see your way to forgive your nephew and help him get the attention he may be craving. I saw a post here mentioning taking him fishing. I agree. There's nothing quite like taking a child this young fishing and it helps that he catches some fish. It could be a trip the two of you will never forget. Years from now and possibly over that brewsky previously mentioned, the two of you may be able to laugh about it. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and concerns. I like the idea of having the perp help, even if it is just cleaning up and fetching things.

The screens are not like screens in a 1960's trailer. I had a 1963 Overlander and those have standard household screening installed in frames with a plastic bead. These 1950's trailers have the screen built-in as part of the window frame. It is very stiff and is bent around part of the window frame on all sides. A nylon screen would not be stiff enough to keep a bend.

I have a co-worker who's husband family owns a local glass company. I am going to give him a call today if I have time.

I haven't looked at R.J. Dial's site yet, but I will. Thanks for that lead.

The trailer is now under a 40 X 60 foot blue tarp (the only large tarp I could find at my Home Depot). It will probably be a slow process since I have very little spare time this time of year with my job. (I work some nights and weekends) So it will probably have to wait until the end of April when I can take time off from work. I will try to assemble all the glass and other materials I will need before then.

It is ironic that in the 9 years I have owned it, it has survived a tornado that demolished the house next door and tore down my trees and spread building materials all over my property; a hail storm that ruined my car, truck, and roof on my house; and Hurricane Katrina, not to mention the 40 odd years before I bought it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toomany
Hi

Chad
Thanks for the kind offer. As I said in an earlier post, I will have to wait until the end of April to actually work on it. Let's see how things go.

PS: I sent you a private message.

Tags