Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Living the Dream

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Lantana , Texas
Trim on Bumper Molding Repair

Can someone offer the best solution to this minor cosmetic issue?

Thank you,
Brad
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bumper Molding.jpg.pdf (34.0 KB, 34 views)
bspirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I replaced all of ours with reflective (#9005) blue tape to replace the flaking plastic chrome.

1" wide for the bottom, 1/2" the top.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #3
Living the Dream

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Lantana , Texas
Bob

I have to thank you for your advice on the 3M tape to fix my molding issue. It worked perfectly.
All the best,
Brad
bspirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Reflective rub rail word of caution.

The blue reflective tape worked great for mine too but one word of caution. To make a long story short, the electronic eye of my gated storage facility uses an electric eye / reflector combination to close the gate after entry when the vehicles or humans clear the gate area. Unfortunately, my lower rub rail is the same height as the gate's electric eye. The sensor misread my new reflective tape as the target reflector for the electric eye and closed the gate on my trailer. In a stroke of luck, I caught the gate closing out of the corner of my eye in the mirror and stopped the rig so I got a little "kiss" mark on the side instead of a bunch of horizontal scratches. Fortunately, the gate moves slow, the edge post is wide and painted and reverses when it senses a physical obstacle so the damage was slight. It took me about a an hour after the incident to figure out what happened. Now when I arrive at the storage facility I put my code in to open the gate and then put a traffic cone in front of the sensor until I'm parked. Ahhhhhh the unknown consequences of one's actions. Keeps life interesting!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote