Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It's quite bad and interior damage too. Will submit pics to Ohio and see what they say. Hopefully the insurance company and I agree on it's value.
Thanks for the update. Do you have an “agreed value” policy with the company? If not they will view your 2006 16’ trailer as 14 years old, so be prepared for a lowball appraisal IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Please proceed with caution and do not take the first figure your agent throws out. You have a 'collectible' Airstream! If damage is over 65% of the value, it will be totaled, but important to know it's current value.
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
North Little Rock , Arkansas
body work

I recently had some tree damage, dent about the size of your fist on the rear of my 22FB. The estimates ran from $4500.00 to $12000.00. We are taking it to Airstream factory in November for repairs. Yours would be a total in my guess.
Glass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
It could have frame/axle issues as well. Not sure Ohio or anyone could quote a repair without the camper in front of them. So sorry....
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
I’m also not an insurance adjuster. I’m sorry for your accident. I agree with previous postings. Send good pics to Airstream (Jackson Center, OH) for a estimate and a local estimate. I would determine road worthiness, or you’ll have to have a shipping estimate included I believe. Good Luck
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ouch indeed !!! Even getting in the trailer to do this and that looks like it will be a bit difficult.

You have a *lot* of parts of the trailer damaged. That's just from the pictures. Indeed there may well be more damage that is not obvious. Airstreams are not cheap to fix when you are talking about multiple external and internal skins plus a door plus ....

You now get to learn a lot more than you ever wanted to about insurance, your insurances company, and the policy you have on the trailer. Was the trailer in storage or in use? At least on my policy, that matters. How "nice" is your company ( = how crazy does the process get). All policies have limits on them. On any car / truck / boat / RV past about 10 years old, those limits may not make sense. If you bought through an agent then you also will learn a bit more about them as well.

So best bet - try to calm down / relax / decompress. Take this slow and accept that a pretty big chunk of your time likely will go into this. Get a realistic idea of what the trailer is worth. Listing price on ads may not be the best reference. Getting to "sold prices" is a major pain. The better you can document ( and understand) the value of the trailer, the more likely it is this will go smoothly.

We could get into various ways to insure your trailer. It's still a personal decision for each of us. Is $200 a year a better bet than $2,200 a year? Right up to the point the tree falls, it's just a bet. You may or may not *ever* need the insurance. Over a 10 year period, (if it actually *was* the bogus $2200 vs $200) you would dump $20,000 into the insurance company. That's a pretty big bet .... So yes, I understand the idea of agreed value, I also understand why not everybody goes that way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze View Post
Hi I'm located in Minneapolis Minnesota and a tree managed to land directly on my 2006 airstream Quicksilver Bambi camper. looks like from some of the pictures that the damages the roof the front and the right door panel.
Historically, I've gone to Ohio to have things done to it.
Does anyone know if there's anything closer? Also anybody have a feeling on how much this damage could cost? It was very large tree I would imagine there's internal damage also.
I haven't been able to inspect it yet.
I'm also in Minneapolis. I have had repair work done at LazyDays in Ramsey. My issue was tree damage also, but much less serious. I suspect the unit will be totaled.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Espresso2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Yes I do I originally posted as 31,500. But I see some other people retail agent selling for 45,500, exact model exact features. This definitely could get interesting I'm not sure how to proceed fully. Someone suggested I use the NADA guides but that is suggesting a 30k value. it's quite a range from 30k to 44 and a half so I'm not sure quite how to proceed.

"don't cross the solid line"
firenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Minneapolis , Minnesota
As far as I'm concerned I have quite a bit of time and I don't mind processing this until the end. I want to be fair to them and fair to myself. Isn't that what it's all about in life?

"don't cross the solid line"
firenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:02 AM   #30

2009 16' DWR
Saint Paul , Minnesota
2008 DWR Airstream as replacement?

Hello firenze,

I am so sorry about the major damage on your Bambi. That is very sad when this happens. I saw your post and it just happens that I am selling my 2008 Airstream Bambi DWR special edition. I moved to Switzerland and I am storing my DWR 16' at my brother's house in Fridley, MN until it sells. I did many upgrades etc. and it is in good shape. It is just to difficult to bring it to Switzerland and there are many bureaucratic obstacles. I love that Airstream.

If it turns out the your Bambi is totaled and you want to replace it, this might be an option.

I am sending you a link with my for-sale listing on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/martin.thom...action_generic

Either way, I hope you find a resolution and that the insurance company is generous.

Please let me know if you are interested.
martylama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cincinnati , Ohio
Ouch Man. I had a big branch fall on our 25' Safari. I had the pleasure of removing the offending Catalpa tree. Took it Jackson Center. Good Luck!
Chazblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Firenze, I pm'd you a few days back with some 'hints'. Keep us posted!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote