Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Touch Up Paint A-Frame 2020 Bambi

While I have used touch up paint on my truck and painted interior walls in house and touch up exterior I have not done so on trailer frame and want to make sure I don’t screw up. I have a few rust spots on A-frame where propane bottle cover has rubbed and around welded loops where safety chains connect. Do I just remove rust with wire brush, use some type of primer and then use a special exterior metal paint? If so on primer and paint, any recommendations? Thanks. Stephen
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Google a POR-15 kit with the metal prep, primer and top coat. You can knock off what rust you can then apply the metal prep which encapsulates. It’s good stuff. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I would just use some gloss black Tremclad. If you wire brush the area first that would be good or at least scrap off any big bits of rust. You can try a rust inhibiter on the rust first before coating it. Clean it with some ISO alcohol to get all the oils off before painting.

I just hit mine with some glass black exterior spray while I had a can out touching up some aluminum.

It is probably going to come back so I would plan on re-coating it later on (maybe in the Spring). Mine has been good for 6 months but we are heading into our rainy season so time will tell.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote