Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Shoreham , Vermont
Tarp on unpolished Safari

Hello,
I'm restoring a 1963 Safari that will require many hours of polishing. Being in a rough state, would putting it under a tarp cause any problems that could not be compounded and polished out when I get to that far off phase?
Thanks. Mike
Rodmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forums -- great trailer choice!

What's your purpose for the tarp? If it's to keep out water, I think you'd be a lot better off using Foil Tape to seal seams that leak. Definitely put some over the top of both the front and rear windows where all the seams come together -- that spot is famous for leaks. Search this forum for "hillbilly leak test" if you're trying to find and seal lots of leaks.

I haven't seen trailers unwrapped after being tarped, but there are a lot of reports of damage. As the tarp is blown around by the wind, it scrapes off corrosion, which is VERY abrasive. Your aluminum walls in that year have a thin layer of pure aluminum that can be worn through if exposed to a lot of abrasion.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Shoreham , Vermont
Thanks 65CV
Actually very little leaking only at back window or where back window use to be, just plexi glass screwed to the frame. I'll definitely go with the foil tape.
Rodmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I've used a tarp on an original unpolished '72'.. no signs of excess wear or scratching. Wouldn't do if polished
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
At one point in time, our 66 must have been covered with a canvas tarp. It had black streaks on the top edges where the tarp must have been blowing in the wind. Everything polished out fine. Like mentioned, if the thin alclad finish is compromised, it will polish out a light gray. The alclad is tough. If I were to tarp an unpolished one, I may tape 6 ml plastic on top and a little down the side then tarp with the cheap box store plastic tarp. The 6 ml would help in protecting the skin and water intrusion. In Vermont snow load would be my concern. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote