Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Spiders and Other Critters

There seems to be an over-abundance of spiders and other critters this year - as well as snakes! Here in the far Northeast the snakes are harmless and they're certainly welcome as part of the local pest patrol! On the other hand, the spiders, with the exception of a few unsavory characters, are more of an annoyance - and they don't like to be stepped on, sat on, or otherwise taken for a ride on your clothing! I've already been bitten twice this year. Sunday I took the spiders and the Airstream for a 65 mph jaunt and many residents jumped ship - but not all of them! My question is, quite seriously, what can we spray our Airstreams with that will kill the critters without harming the finish, the windows, or other parts? Additionally, is there any kind of indoor fogger that is harmless?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Spiders and Other Critters

Greetings Cracker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
There seems to be an over-abundance of spiders and other critters this year - as well as snakes! Here in the far Northeast the snakes are harmless and they're certainly welcome as part of the local pest patrol! On the other hand, the spiders, with the exception of a few unsavory characters, are more of an annoyance - and they don't like to be stepped on, sat on, or otherwise taken for a ride on your clothing! I've already been bitten twice this year. Sunday I took the spiders and the Airstream for a 65 mph jaunt and many residents jumped ship - but not all of them! My question is, quite seriously, what can we spray our Airstreams with that will kill the critters without harming the finish, the windows, or other parts? Additionally, is there any kind of indoor fogger that is harmless?
I find myself dealing with spider pests in much greater numbers since relocating my Airstream and Argosy to Southern Illinois. To keep the pests at bay, especially the Brown Recluse that are in abundance in my neighborhood, I have developed a close relationship with my local exterminator - - once a year when he "bug-bombs" my home, I also have him place the bug-bombs in my Airstream/Argosy - - the product used doesn't harm the interior surfaces, but I usually put off my spring cleaning until this task is completed as I like to oil or wax the woodwork and give everything a good general cleaning following the "bombing" - - I also send all of my dishes and utensils through my home's automatic dishwasher following the bombing. So far, the Brown Recluse haven't found either my Airstream or Argosy (the bug-bombs aren't effective against the Brown Recluse, but my theory is that if there aren't sufficient food sources for them they won't become interested in my Airstream or Argosy), but every other form of local spider has - - the yearly bug-bombing helps considerably. After having been bitten by a Brown Recluse, I am nearly always on active spider patrol both in my home and Airstream.

Good luck with your spider pests!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you do use the bombs make sure there are no pilots, mechanical thermostats, etc. that could be a source of ignition. The vapor is very flammable.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote