Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Skirt for outside of AS?

My AS came with turnbuckles all around the roadside from front to rear 33' about 48" from the ground. Round grommets will not work. Was this an after market addition? Function? Noticed that the plasticoat was almost complete in this protected area. Also have same turnbuckles around each window on the front, rear and roadside. There are none on the curbside. Have been looking at canvas. I would assume that the "skirt" should have cutouts for the water heater vent and refrigerator vent. Any suggestions on where to find information appreciated. Have found round grommets, but not been able to find oval grommets. Thanks. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Pictures? I cannot picture this modification at all. Snaps for a skirt...yes. Turnbuckles?...No,.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
my 73 came with a screen room for the patio awning. it had snaps along the shell and up the sides of the shell. at the top edges on either end near the awning rail I have the same turnbuckles you speak of. The screen room had coresponding metal grommets in for the turnbuckles to be inserted into and the turned to lock in. The screen room was supplied by Carefree Of Colorado the awning manufacturer. Depending on your awning manufacturer try contacting them .
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Zip Dee awning is original without any additional hardware. I have a screen room for my pop-up and am familiar with the process. Somehow I think this is some sort of storage skirting.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Finally located grommets for fasteners. The fasteners are called "common sense fasteners" because it takes common sense to work them! Went to a local sail maker and he has the common sense grommets, but called them something else. I am considering using marine blue 100% outdoor fabric to make the skirt. Will leave opening for water heater. Also considering making pocket shades for each window which are more or less flat pillows. Have a roll of foil insulation and may consider inserting a piece in each window covering. Since I do not yet have awnings on my windows, this may be an option to help control summer heat. Will post pics when I complete the project.
I also think this was used for storage. The areas under the skirt still has plasticoat so I guess it worked. Wish they had put common sense fasteners on the curbside also.