Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Adiredneck, we did our first wash/walbernize last weekend.

We decided that our limit was as far as we could reach from stepladder when it was next to the lil' puppy (our 22 Bambi).

We had zero interest in getting on the roof, or reaching over the top of the ladder in an unsafe manner. RangerJay's approach is what I would suggest if you need to reach in further.

If you feel the need to wash off the roof (we did not) then I would suggest some type of soft mop on a pole to do this from the ladder, with the ladder firmly on the ground and you firmly on the ladder. IMHO there is no real need to go physically onto the roof to wash it.

I view my AS as a tool; it is there to be of use to me.

We also store offsite where there is no water available. We used the griots waterless spray on car wash. That worked really nicely. Then went around again with the walbernizer.

I know of too many people who have fallen doing chores, Christmas lights, etc. I take that as a serious risk that could in effect make it less possible for me to enjoy camping in my future.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
As an alternative to scaffolding, try doing a Google search on "platform ladders". There are many varieties and, depending on the model, they can blend the convenience of a ladder with the stability of a scaffold. I recently purchased a 4' Werner platform ladder from Lowes for $119 and it is light years ahead of the old ladder that it replaced. Feels much more stable when reaching and it has a very good leaning rail at waist level.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Mequon , Wisconsin
At 70 I'm probably more daring than wise but, I'm very cautious on a ladder. I cleaned the top of ours using a 4 segment 12' folding ladder set with the top 3' section locked at 90deg. (horizontal) and attached a piece of oak flooring, wrapped with a hand towel, across the ends which then rests on the framing ribs (rivet line) which prevents denting the roof. Very stable.
Mr.Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote