Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #1

1979 31' Sovereign
Minnetonka , Minnesota
Question Replacing AC with fan vent - 79 Sovereign 31'

1st post -- hope I do this right.

I camp frequently without hookups and my AC is broken. Since I live in Minnesota and don't need AC very often, I'm thinking of replacing my 79 Sovereign's AC with a fan-vent that requires a 14-14 opening.

I'm only average at mechanics, but am willing to give it try. But, before it start I would like to know if the replacement is too complicated for the casual owner.

First of all, will a fan-tastic 4000r (the grey-curved version) even fit the AC opening? What steps should I take? Can I just move the existing AC wiring from the 120v side of the electrical panel to the 12v side and use them, or will the fan-vent require new wiring?

Finally, has anyone replaced their AC with a fan-vent and been satisfied with its cooling ability and the external/internal look?
runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The hard / dangerous part will be getting the AC off the roof. It will be heavy. Then you wll need to convert the AC line to DC use. Switching it from the AC to the DC panel. Not hard just need to make such nothing else is on that line. The instructions that come with the fan cover installation.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We live in Florida, and would not dream of not having a/c, but Minnesota is a long way North...
The a.c unit should have a 14"x14" opening for it, along with a zillion rivets holding the unit to the roof (if it's an original Armstrong, riveted-in-place unit). After you remove the rivets, and disconnect the 120v wiring and thermostat wires, you would remove the inside air handler box, and lift the unit off the trailer. A Fantastic (or comparable brand, such as a Maxx-Air) should go in the hole with little trouble. You will need to put new rivets in the holes left by removing the a/c, and make sure you put something in the holes to keep rain from seeping in. You will need 12v dc for the fan, and the feed wire for it should run down the right main longitudinal bow. If you do this, I would strongly suggest getting the Fantastic with a thermostat and rain sensor, or a Maxx-Air with thermostat.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Here is a link to a website that a guy by the name of Dave did, that might some help.

Fan-Tastic Vent Installation
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, vent, 1979 sovereign, air conditioning