Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

removing old add on parts from the exterior (pics)

hello!

in advance I would just like to say that airstreamforums.com is a wonderful resource.

anyway...

how do you remove items such as these and restore the finish?

here are links to pictures...

http://24.153.183.242/airstream/mod/DSC00701.JPG

http://24.153.183.242/airstream/mod/DSC00724.JPG

http://24.153.183.242/airstream/mod/DSC00725.JPG

http://24.153.183.242/airstream/mod/DSC00726.JPG

http://24.153.183.242/airstream/mod/DSC00727.JPG

thanks for any advice.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00701.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	2358  
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question

What are these and where are they located? Looks like a couple of them have screws...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

TV Antenna Parts ?

Mark,

These look like parts/ mounts for the original TV antenna. No magic to the removal process. You need to unscrew, or drill out rivets, or cut them off, taking care not to cause damage to the skin.

In the best situation, you can install new rivets, and polish any marks out. If there is damage under the parts that won't polish out, or there's a hole, you are faced with the following choices: 1) replace the segment (ouch!); 2) rivet a small "patch" of aluminum over the offending hole/damage; or 3) install new antenna parts.

The ceramic antenna lead is probably dust by now. I've seen one ingenious guy manufacture a replacement from the last 1/2" end of a 1-1/2" PVC cap fitting, and attaching a new "terminal strip," available from Radio Shack. Check it out at:

www.vintageairstream.com/myrtle_rest4.html
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the info!

Its not the removing the parts that I have a problem with. I am just nervous because I don't know what I will find behind the attachments.

if you look to the right of this photo you can see the old parts mounted.

http://24.153.183.242/airstream/mod/DSC007011.jpg

after removing the old parts would it be advisable to calk any holes as a temporay fix?

thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Yours is somewhat different than my antenna was, and I've never seen an antenna mounted on the side.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that you will find a small hole behind the ceramic fitting, where the TV wire enters the trailer. Behind the "flat metal" fittings, you will probably only find small screwholes.

As to the big honkin' part (photo 3), it looks somewhat similar to the mount for my TV antenna. On mine, there is a crank inside the trailer that moves the "sleeve" on this exterior box (in which the antenna pole sits). By turning the crank inside, the outside antenna turns, thereby improving reception. (Kinda like your parents made you do when you were a kid ) As to what's behind that part, on mine there was a hole (about 1-1/2") thru which the aforementioned mechanics passed.

Is there a crank inside your trailer in the same location as this box?

As to the caulk idea, it would obviously only be a temporary fix, but anything to keep the water out, I guess. Worse comes to worst, they make these big red numbers.......
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Mark , I would make sure to plenty of penatrating oil on everything before you attempt to remove it . As far as worring about whats behind it ,the way I look at these matters is you have to remove these items to to accomplish your goals anyway, so just dig in !I know it sounds harsh but that is the way I attack these matters, I also sometimes think to myself .....well I cant make it look any worse than it does now ,and I take it from there. Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Mark,

Can you say pneumatic cutoff tool? Looks like time to get it out. Whatever it is, a french pastry, the Mr. Bill character, raisins on a log, it is gonna be tough to just unscrew. Once you get it loose whatever is on the inside is probably darn near inaccessable and will fall into the bowels of the wall once it is freed. I had something like that on my Argosy and was able to convert the remaining hole(s) into a cool cable TV coax hookup. Good Luck!!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

well there you have it. I will just remove them and see what happens. I will post pics when I take them off.

penatrating oil? what kind? wd-40?

yes. there is a crank inside. apprently it's stripped out becuse nothing happens when you crank it. looks cool tho. might keep the crank in place.

pneumatic cutoff tool? don't have one :| I have a drummel tool. if I can't unscrew them I might just whack off the tops of the screws.

wish me luck.

Mark
Old 07-15-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

"As to the caulk idea, it would obviously only be a temporary fix, but anything to keep the water out, I guess. Worse comes to worst, they make these big red numbers......."

too funny!

Mark
Old 07-16-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Mark , if it isnt gonna be a long term project you could even use a piece of duct tape, it will last month or so that way plus alot easier clean up .
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:07 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I used duct tape when I lost my kitchen vent flap on a trip. Mulitple pieces coverd just fine, when I got the part it cleaned right up with good ole lighter fluid and I was set.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:11 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Another short-term patch ...

would be the silver-colored air conditioning tape. It sticks quite well and would blend in nicely.

By the way, in the gliding world, we called duct tape "100 knot tape". It would hang in there to well over 100 mph.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote