Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
Plasticote refinishers

Hi: I have a 1993 21’ Sovereign where, not surprisingly, the plasticote is failing. It’s bad on the roof and end caps and is now working its way down the sides. I’ve read several threads here about the challenges associated with re-coating plasticote. This is not a project I look to take on myself. Does anyone know of a experienced plasticote refinisher located in the west? I see Dick McIntyre mentioned Here(Oregon), however, I get the feeling he may no longer be doing this work. I am also aware of P&S in Ohio....but they are a long way from British Columbia

Thanks in advanced for any leads!
93Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
P&S no longer applies Plastikote. To the best of my knowledge, it is no longer available.

With my previous trailer, a 1986 Sovereign, I stripped the Plastikote where it was failing (end caps and above the window line) and did a very minor polishing job with Meguiar’s aluminum polish. It looked a lot better but I had to touch it up annually...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
The last I spoke with P&S they were still re-coating. However that was a year ago. I’m not sure if it’s With the original airstream mix or their own proprietary mixture. I’d have them do the job but Ohio is a long haul. Ideally I’d like to find a west coast refinisher.

Thanks for the info on how you dealt with the failing plasticote. I’ll keep as an option should I not find a shop.
93Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote