Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

1970 31' Sovereign
Mendota , Virginia
Overwhelmed

We just purchased a 1970 Sovereign for a father/son project. I've never remodeled a camper before. If you had to rank order of importance, where do you start? Roof? Rip out interior? I'm asking for a starting point, and maybe the second project? I considered replacing fans, A/C, etc...
BristolApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
What shape is it in? Are the floors spongy? Pictures?
Chances are the axles are shot, the wiring, and insulation. If you plan on a lengthy, thorough, and expensive renovation, I would plan on a shell off reno. If you just want to make it campable, that’s a different approach. You can remove the interior and see what you have to deal with. If you do that, make sure you take a lot of pictures and labeling. A shell off is the ultimate, the most expensive and time consuming. I guess you and your son have to decide on what y’all want to have for the end project. Ask the questions here to help your decision. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Take a look in the trailer forum in the Sovereign section at what other people have done with their builds . There is a wealth of information there and that’s the best place to ask questions also start a build thread there .

Take a look at my build thread . It will give you some insight on what to expect and some direction.
Click the link below my signature.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Is the project the goal or is camping the goal?

Spend a little time reading some of the epic build threads (you can identify them by the number of replies they’ve received). It’s astonishing how much time and money some members here have put into their AS and haven’t camped in it yet.
Krek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Step 1: Go to the "Portal" tab at the top of the page, just below the Air Forums logo. Scroll down keeping your eyes to the right, and you will see a link to "the Trailer Inspector's Checklist." Download the checklist and use it to thoroughly evaluate your trailer. You will then know what needs to be addressed to make it operational.

Step 2: Knowing what NEEDS to be done, put together a list of the "wants," and "nice-to-have's." This might include things like retrofitting the trailer with grey water tanks.

Step 3: As pointed out above, consider your budget (money and time), and your primary goal (is the goal to be camping in a year, or to fill your father and son time until he leaves for college?).

Now, put steps 1-3 together and make the necessary compromises. As for what comes next, it all depends on the condition of the trailer. If the entire subfloor needs to be replaced, frame repaired, and rear-end separation addressed, then you are going to start by tearing out the interior and all the other things that go with a floor replacement. If the floor is fine, and your goal is to camp as soon as you can, then start by tackling the repairs that are needed in order of criticality of need. For example if you are going to camp at developed campgrounds, then you can probably do without a working bathroom, because they have bathrooms, but you may not be able to do without a working AC because it is 90 degrees at night.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Here is my massive list for performing a full monty, if your project comes to that:

My guidance regarding rennovating a vintage Airstream would be to hope for the best and expect the worst, and plan a shell-off from the beginning.

You can feel your way there by getting out the buyer's inspection checklist, going through everything, making a list of what needs to be repaired, and then tackling it one project at a time, starting at the "deepest" level of disassembly and working your way out. Or you can do the following:

1) Spend up to two years looking for the trailer that is in the best shape, with the best price, with the best floor plan, only to drive too far to look at a trailer, and buy it out of desperation, as you don't want to go home empty handed.
2) Remove the interior including all inside skins and insulation--store it in a temporary shed (that will become permanent).
3) Build a set of gantries--you'll need them.
4) Lift the shell (using the gantries) from the frame and set aside.
5) Use the gantries you built to lift and flip the frame.
6) Remove belly pan, gas lines, etc., and set aside.
7) Perform all repairs on the frame, address rust and paint (again, lifting and flipping in the process).
8) Install new floor on frame.
9) Flip, insulate the underside of the floor, install retro-fitted grey tanks.
10) Install belly pan with frame still upside down.
11) Install new axles (with frame upside down, using the gantries as a crane).
12) Pressure wash the interior of the shell--make every effort to get rid of the mouse piss and old insulation--this is your only chance.
13) Lift the shell, wheel the frame back underneath, and set the shell back in place.
14) Complete reconnection of shell to frame.
15) Replace all door and window seals, plumbing vent seals, perform any shell patches, panel replacements, AC replacement, etc. (use the gantries as scaffolding to access the roof of your trailer).
16) Seal the inside of the shell, every rivet, every seam.
17) Spray primer on the inside of the shell to not only protect from corrosion, but to seal in funk.
18) Write a mysterious message to the next restorer on the inside of your shell (I like "Abandon all hope ye who enter here...").
19) Rennovate/install any awnings and ensure that any new shell penetrations do not leak.
20) Confirm that your shell no longer leaks.
21) Assess wiring in the shell. Rewire if necessary, realizing what a PITA it will be, trying not to nick any wires.
22) Strip the clear coat off your shell if needed.
23) Polish the areas around the trim, emblems, clearance lights before reinstallation.
24) Thoroughly investigate every kind of insulation known to mankind and then install the pink fiberglass stuff anyway.
25) Reinstall interior skins after thoroughly cleaning them--paint the backsides with primer to encapsulate the old stank you can never wash off.
26) Rebuild electrical distribution system (battery, fuse board, etc.).
27) Layout your future cabinetry.
28) Begin to run water lines, realizing some of them will go under/behind furnishings
29) Start from the rear of the trailer and rebuild the interior furnishings, cabinetry.
30) Lay down new flooring.
31) Rerun the gas lines.
32) Finish installing appliances.
33) Do the blinds/drapes/upholstery.
34) Finish whatever polishing you want to do on the exterior
35) Seal every exterior seam
36) Discover new leaks and throw a fit
37) Throw away all the receipts, as it is just too depressing to know how much you just spent.
38) Count the gray hairs/hair loss that has resulted from the years you have spent on the project.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

1970 31' Sovereign
Mendota , Virginia
The floor is very solid. We went to pick up in a monsoon (haha) and there were no leaks, with the exception being around the two ceiling fans. After putting on new tires, some good safety chains and some makeshift lights, we pulled it 300 miles. I'll attempt to put on a few pictures.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

1970 31' Sovereign
Mendota , Virginia
Great question-since it's a father son thing, I think a little of both...The memories (hopefully mostly good) and eventually to spend the night in it...
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolApp View Post
We just purchased a 1970 Sovereign for a father/son project. I've never remodeled a camper before. If you had to rank order of importance, where do you start? Roof? Rip out interior? I'm asking for a starting point, and maybe the second project? I considered replacing fans, A/C, etc...
Welcome to the forum!

I would first suggest reading "The Love Shack" thread, before making up your lists, as it may be easier to review a recent similar "full scale model." Also Eric has an excellent sense of humor, something that is a necessary fuel for projects like this IMO!

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...ck-183431.html

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #10

1970 31' Sovereign
Mendota , Virginia
Pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sovereign  (1).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	375120

Name:	Sovereign  (2).jpg
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	375121
Old 08-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby, and welcome to these AirForums. You can learn about every rivet in your Sovereign here on these Forums.

I've renovated a couple of 70s Airstreams. Good advice in your thread about going to the Knowledge Base and start reading about early 70s Sovereigns. There you can experience how others have approached their projects and you can watch as they progress. Here is a link to the area I'm referring to for your convenience.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f186/

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2006 Done On the Ground-800x600.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	375150  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote