Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
newbie question

We just bought our first airstream (1979 31ft int. rear bath) about two months ago and we have been working on it ever since. We were planning a trip in the next few days I just learned that the fresh water tank has a few cracks. Do I have to have this tank fixed in order to use the city water hook ups?

Thanks
http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...es/redface.gif
callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by callieco View Post
We just bought our first airstream (1979 31ft int. rear bath) about two months ago and we have been working on it ever since. We were planning a trip in the next few days I just learned that the fresh water tank has a few cracks. Do I have to have this tank fixed in order to use the city water hook ups?

Thanks
http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...es/redface.gif
It will be ok to use city water with the crack.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Welcome aboard. I had the same configuration in a '79 in the Excella 500 Many years ago.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
No, the tank and pump are seperate, unless someone modified it. A water line is connected at the pump, but there should be a back flow preventer that keeps city water from flowing into the tank. Some people will add a valve so they can fill their tank from the internal plumbing, so check for this mod.

If your tank is cracked it might indicate it has been frozen, therefore other plumbing may be suspect. If you have not already, try hooking up to water to pressurize the fresh water system, and fill up the gray and black tanks to see if you have any leaks before startring out.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
The gray tank is good, the black has a crack as well but I have not dug into it yet. We can go with out the bathroom this trip but didn't want to have no water at all. I was hoping that I would be able to replace both tanks at the same time and I didn't want it to affect our current plans.

Thanks for the help!
callieco is offline   Reply With Quote