Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Mounting metal art to exterior

I was at a function yesterday and there was this wonderful metal art up for silent auction. I was so intrigued, I had to think of where I could use it. Of course Tin Hut would be perfect. Like all of you put up your flags and flamingos once you are parked, I would like to place this on the side of the trailer. But it would would have to come down during travel. What would be the best strategy or application to attach this art?

The bidding went way too high for me, but I contacted the artist, and I am gong to own this one way or another.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How heavy / how large is it?

Where on the side of the trailer would it go?

Small hooks held on by VHB tape (or something similar) come to mind. They may make zero sense for what you are trying to do. Anything you put on runs the risk of falling off "at speed". There's also the issue of brush and trees. I'd keep it cheap / simple / light weight.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Heavy duty Velcro.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

How heavy / how large is it?

Bob
Maybe 2'x3'? I'll have to do measures of where it might work and see that it will work. And metal work with a depth of 1/4" max. Not too heavy. A couple of pounds if that.
Beth
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
How about from the awning fringe? You could put a couple of small grommets in the fringe and then suspend with some heavy nylon fishing line.

You could get a metal post, like for a garden, with the "h" base that could be pushed into the ground with your foot. Cut to the right length, drill a couple of holes into the post for hangers, paint the top portion silver to match the AS.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieB View Post
Maybe 2'x3'? I'll have to do measures of where it might work and see that it will work. And metal work with a depth of 1/4" max. Not too heavy. A couple of pounds if that.
Beth
Hi

If it really is in the pound or two range, the velcro mentioned above may be the best choice. It may or may not last forever, but it's cheap and there is no hazard issue with it. If it actually gets up to the ten or twenty pound range, something more stout may be called for.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote