Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
J vs C Channel - Help Requested!

Finally getting some warm weather! Shell is off, frame is restored. Now getting ready to put down new subfloor and get the shell back on the frame.

I have done a bit of homework on this and have yet to get clear answers.

Some of the shell has what I am going to call a C channel where it simply rests on the subfloor and secures with screws.

Other parts of the shell have what I am calling J channels where the subfloor actually gets wrapped by the J channel and secured with screws.

Pictures attached for reference.

Two questions:

1: I was hoping to cut my subfloor and get it as good as possible on the frame (without completely securing them) and then putting the shell on top. However, with these J channels I don’t see how that is feasible unless I could somehow “bend” or pull on the side of the shell and then slide it onto the plywood. Thoughts on this?

2: If the above idea won’t work I guess I will have to work in sections and cut the subfloor in half down the middle in some parts to be able to slide into the J channel.

Seems like this would be much easier if everything was just a C channel and could rest on top of the subfloor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0283.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	390830

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	648.4 KB
ID:	390831
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
I have not done a shell off floor replacement, but I believe what others have done is to drill out the rivets holding the J channel to the body. Then the channel can be removed from the shell and attached to the new plywood floor. The shell is then lowered in place and riveted back to the J channel. I'm sure others who have done a shell off will respond with how they did it.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
I have not done a shell off floor replacement, but I believe what others have done is to drill out the rivets holding the J channel to the body. Then the channel can be removed from the shell and attached to the new plywood floor. The shell is then lowered in place and riveted back to the J channel. I'm sure others who have done a shell off will respond with how they did it.

This makes sense. Was trying to avoid this step, but it seems inevitable. Then you start the debate of ordering new sections to make it “clean”.

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote