Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I wash mine in sections too for the reason listed above. I use a leaf blower the get most of the water off before towelling it dry. The blower is really good to get water out of areas that want to drip for long periods after towelling the surface. Mine is a 30 footer, so it takes a little while to do.

What a great idea...can't believe I didn't think of that given I have a pretty good blower with an intake filter to prevent it sucking up debris and shooting stuff out. Always lay a coat of wax on 'er after a wash and always run into the slow drip areas!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
A lot of good suggestions
A deionizer Is ideal but if you cannot swing that then an RV water filter to reduce spots. That’s what I do. Also the walbernize wash/wax is a great product if you haven’t tried it.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
A lot of good suggestions
A deionizer Is ideal but if you cannot swing that then an RV water filter to reduce spots. That’s what I do. Also the walbernize wash/wax is a great product if you haven’t tried it.
I used Walbernize for the first 2-3 years of ownership. Really easy to apply and remove, but my prob with it is that it doesn't last the season. I moved to an automotive carnuba wax and do a good wash and wax prior to winter storage and it lasts the entire summer until next years hibernation wash and wax.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #24
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
My RV storage facility has an RV wash, with 10 free washer a year. I store my rig in a 58' single bay heated garage. I do bring it to Colonial Airstream for an annual wax, inspection, and repair of anything I messed up. Next year I will go to the west coast to have a ceramic coating put on our Airstream and over time it will save on the waxing.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Top Down

I usually start in later afternoon/early evening after the heat of the day to give time to dry.
start at the top hosing it all down, getting dust/dirt/bugs off with water only, then car soap with a soft bristle brush on extended handle top only, then hose it all again, under carriage included (we go to the coast a lot), sea air film, all with brush, then front around side where windows stop, then back, same window routine with hand mitt, then sides, then wheels/tires. hose it all off one last time with my special "no spot" water sheeting hose end. Open the awnings (that is where all my water drips from) towel dry windows, then top down front to back.
I store indoors, so no gunk other than from camping under trees. I rinse it off after any time at the coast and prior to storage each time. I have a microwax applied, really helps the gunk not stick.

takes two hours if I do it by myself, little less if the wife cleans the windows.
takes longer to wash the truck.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
Leaf blower/AS dryer. What a great idea!
Thanks tbrowne
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #27
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Try Rain X car wash. Water runs off with less spotting.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote