Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #1

Edinburg , Texas
Question Gutting the machine!

Hello everybody, I am new to these forums and to owning a trailer. I am planning of purchasing a vintage 1975 31' Sovereign of the Road. I also plan on living in this trailer full time and want to change the interior design to best fit my life. I realize after reading through some treads that the insulation and structural integrity are important aspects to first consider replacing. However after that, i want to streamline the cabinets, add a custom sofa area, add flat panel speakers and a fold down flat screen TV, 3’ X3’ viewing dome over bed...yada yada yada...

My question is...how do i know where the frame studs are located? I assume the cabinets are bolted into the wall and attached to the frame, am i wrong? It would be necessary to know where the studs are in the roof (are there any) to attach a TV.

If this is simply a matter of removing the wall panels and seeing the frame with my own eyes please tell me so, and if possible direct me to a thread that describes how to remove said panels.
Terranhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forums Terranhealer,
Your post would generate more comments in the forums under interior restoration forum.

Finding the frame members in a vintage unit is as easy as finding the interior rivets, which are set into the frame members. I'm not sure about your Airstream, as I have not been in one of that vintage. You probably have vinyl covered aluminum on the inside of yours, and I don't know if the rivets are as visible as mine were.
If you don't have to open the walls you should try to keep them in place and work based on the rivet locations if any are visible.
Flat TV's are heavy. Whatever you do, make sure it's extra strong.

Good to have you with us.
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
After dismantling the interior of the Overlander, I decided to go easy on "hanging" much from the interior. We want to keep the center of gravity low and minimize structural stress. Our plan for a flat screen digital television is to mount it to cabinetry where the weight load is on the floor. I haven't finished the design, but I would like a slide system to raise the TV for watch. When ready to roll, the TV would move downward and lock into place. There are some fabrication challenges, but I like the "stowed for sea" approach. Good luck.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #4

Edinburg , Texas
thanks for the insight

I like the idea of a stow for sea appoach for the tv; but, I was thinking of an LCD tv which is much lighter than other types ( i think ).
Terranhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranhealer View Post
I like the idea of a stow for sea appoach for the tv; but, I was thinking of an LCD tv which is much lighter than other types ( i think ).
They are, but a small elephant is still an elephant. I installed a 19" LCD television on the wall in the bedroom of our Sovereign, and a 21" LCD television on the wall in the living room. Depending on the layout of your trailer, you can put the electronics on top of the oven enclosure in the bedroom, and run the cabling across to the TV.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
TV Stowage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
--- Our plan for a flat screen digital television is to mount it to cabinetry where the weight load is on the floor. I haven't finished the design, but I would like a slide system to raise the TV for watch. When ready to roll, the TV would move downward and lock into place. There are some fabrication challenges, but I like the "stowed for sea" approach. ---
We're starting the refurb of our 1987 34' Excella this summer. I'm planning on exactly the arrangement you mention, located up front, under the window. Should be able to do it with a frame, sliding track, two springs and two catches. Easy to do between the ears, but implementation in the material world is always a struggle.