Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Globetrotter '76 front window removal & more

Greetings,

I took a break refurbishing the interior of my '76 GT so I could use it this summer. I've attached some pics - can anyone tell me the following:
  1. front window is cloudy - can I drill out the rivets w/out popping the glass and then how ez or tuff is it to pull out the glass?
  2. top skylight glass is shot - do I have do drill out all the rivets from the outside to get it out? Where do I get new rivets to put in the new glass?
  3. Winterizing - is there a drain for the fresh water tank? I've not been able to find one and just let the aux pump push the water out of the water inlet until it that was left were spurts of water. I don't want to put in pink antifreeze in fresh water tank if possible as the previous owner did and the water tastes terrible when using the potable water. I drained the water heater - that should be good enuf, right. It came with a nozzle that screws on the water supply where I can put an air hose from my compressor to blow out the lines - previous owner changed copper to pvc lines. I can see putting the pink stuff down the drains and toilet. Is this method okay?
Your comments are appreciated!

Thank You,

Ken in MN

p.s. the glides on my gaucho bed are SHOT and I can't find replacements anywhere - any suggestions on replacing the pull out /fold up mechanism would also be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cloudywindow.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	68292   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamwindow.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	68293  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airvalve.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	68294  
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
I hope you get some answers on that window because I have the same problem
Thanks for asking
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I never did the front window, but it is flat and should be easier. Is it double pane. Generally the windows are time intensive and the gaskets are hard if not impossible to find. There are a couple of threads on the subject of cleaning out smaller double pane windows if you do a search

VISTA VIEW WINDOW

The inner pane on yours may be recmovable without taking out the window. Look carefully at the inside. If not you can 1. carefully break out the inner pane or 2. drill out all the rivets, remove the vulkem, take out the window assembly, take the window frame apart, clean, put in a new butyl spacer gasket and reassemble. You may or may not be able to reusue the old gasket.

Consider replacing with good used windows. It's a lot quicker and easier.

WINTERIZING
There should be several low point drain valves one in the line coming out of the fresh water tank. You shouldn't have to add antifreeze to the tank. But if you want dump in a bottle of vodka after it's drained.

GLIDES
1. Keep your eye on ebay 2. Post in the Forum Classifieds
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
took suburban heater out to get repaired in the winter - it makes a lot of noise and needs a good cleaning - any suggestions on doing it myself or where to have it serviced? I'm in Minneapolis area. Thx.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
where will I find the low point drain valves? I sure don't see them on the outside and can't imagine they'd be in the inside????
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
where will I find the low point drain valves? I sure don't see them on the outside and can't imagine they'd be in the inside????
Since you trailer plumbing was replaced, drain points may not exist. The only drain I have is the one for the fresh water tank and it is located just below the floor next to the fill line. Putting pink stuff down the drains will prevent the p-traps from breaking, but I see no reason to pour any into the toilet.

Depending on where you live, winterizing is optional....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote