Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Filioform Corrosion?

Looking for clarity on what is shown in the pictures below.

Many of the previous posts related to filiform corrosion are related to spider web like corrosion around rivets and along edges, or on attached parts like tail light frames. This is not that, it's mostly in the middle of panels. Is this filiform corrosion, or something else?

The trailer has been stored, and while washing (getting ready to sell) these little squiggles became evident. I haven't looked closely at the finish in a while, but do not think they were there 6 months ago, at least not this many.

Still reading posts where people treated this and similar issues, to get an idea of how to handle...and how to explain to prospective buyers. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, please feel free to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3312.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	404482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	404483  

Name:	IMG_3321.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	404484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3336.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	404485  

aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
If this is the 2000 in your sig, then it's got the Aloca coating on it.

The only way to get it close to normal is to have the trailer stripped and re-coated with clear. From the pics there are just too many to clean up and in the end would prob look worse.

Stripping and recoating a 34 footer isn't gonna be cheap though.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
The only way to get it close to normal is to have the trailer stripped and re-coated with clear. From the pics there are just too many to clean up and in the end would prob look worse.
Yeah, after several hours reading various threads on the subject, that is the conclusion I have come to. It's good to know there is a way to handle it, but you are probably right about it being a bit costly. It does seem like a lot of work.

Have sent an inquiry to an Airstream restoration/customization shop requesting more info. Will update this post to help others having the same issue.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

aswell,

If you can find somebody to strip/polish/clearcoat there are many that would be interested in that company. I too, have a 1996 34' and would be willing to pay the price for a strip/polish/clear job, but have been unable to find someone. The best I've found is the product "Alumiclear" that could be used for the clearcoat, but sadly P&S in Ohio will not strip/polish with something other than "Blue Magic" polish which has silicone (which can't be used).

Good Luck,
Old 09-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
https://pandstrailerservice.com/

These are the folks that have been doing this type of work for several decades and come highly recommended.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Does 'Somewhere Earth' have a lot of unpaved roads?
It appears to be small stone chips that compromised the Alcoa clear and filiform took over.
You can remove with a dental scaler and cover with a auto clear coat or let the next owner take care of it.

IMHO...Re-coating would cost more than the depreciation it causes when sold.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It appears to be small stone chips that compromised the Alcoa clear and filiform took over.
You can remove with a dental scaler and cover with a auto clear coat or let the next owner take care of it.

Bob
🇺🇸
I don't disagree at all Bob, but if I am looking at the pics correctly, there are at least 20 per picture and each picture is a different panel, and if so, we'd be talking at between 50-60 different marks. Sure it'd stop it, but not sure how much better it'd look.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:

Bob
🇺🇸

There are a lot of unpaved roads in the places we like to travel, but we rarely if ever take them when towing the trailer. I don't know how the clear coat was penetrated, but it's likely not only due to rocks or sand based on the location.

We have been in Montana early spring, so perhaps there were some of the chemicals used for de-icing still on the road, and they became reactivated with rain. We have also spent some time in the desert. Not sure...

What I can say is that it only recently began to become evident, and it's mainly on one side, the side not currently in the sun. It has been parked in South Texas, where it can be fairly humid at times. My theory is that the clear coat penetration has been there a while, and it took sitting for an extended period in a humid environment with no sun exposure for the issue to develop.

The trailer is being sold, and I simply want to point potential buyers to a solution for the issue. As long as people know it's something that can be addressed, and that it can happen with any Airstream, it won't be so intimidating.

We have other issues with the trailer (dents and dings), and it is already priced very aggressively, so I don't think this will discourage people who would be interested in this trailer. Giving it a good stripping and polishing, once a few dings are worked out, would make it look very nice.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
https://pandstrailerservice.com/

These are the folks that have been doing this type of work for several decades and come highly recommended.
Are you saying they would completely strip the trailer, polish it like a vintage trailer, and then coat it? I ask b/c I have filiform on my rig and all of my digging on the forum has provided one conclusion: stop the filiform, prevent additional filiform, and live with the blemishes. There's no way to restore the brushed aluminum look from what I understand.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
Are you saying they would completely strip the trailer, polish it like a vintage trailer, and then coat it? I ask b/c I have filiform on my rig and all of my digging on the forum has provided one conclusion: stop the filiform, prevent additional filiform, and live with the blemishes. There's no way to restore the brushed aluminum look from what I understand.
If there are a few blemishes, the etch and clearcoat or clear nail polish the spots are worth it to stop the spread, BUT if you have it on your coach as the OPs, it won't look good. You'll be trading fillform for spots and a lot of them in the OPs case. If you want it done where it doesn't look like it came out of the Sanford and Son yard with a trailer that has it like a rash, then stripping and applying clearcoat either to the effected panels (depending if it matches the other non treated panels) or the whole trailer is really the only realistic option.

You are correct, no way to restore the brushed alum look using the hunt and peck method to stop the spread. Doing nothing however, once the can of worms has veered it ugly head, will only get worse over time. Since the OP said it took 6 months, my guess is under the right environment, it will get worse quick.

The alum in a 2000s trailer is different than vintage, it will never shine like a mirror like the vintage units. Best you can hope for is close to the shine it had from the factory in the 2000s, maybe slightly better, but not by much.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswell View Post
There are a lot of unpaved roads in the places we like to travel, but we rarely if ever take them when towing the trailer. I don't know how the clear coat was penetrated, but it's likely not only due to rocks or sand based on the location.

We have been in Montana early spring, so perhaps there were some of the chemicals used for de-icing still on the road, and they became reactivated with rain. We have also spent some time in the desert. Not sure...

What I can say is that it only recently began to become evident, and it's mainly on one side, the side not currently in the sun. It has been parked in South Texas, where it can be fairly humid at times. My theory is that the clear coat penetration has been there a while, and it took sitting for an extended period in a humid environment with no sun exposure for the issue to develop.

The trailer is being sold, and I simply want to point potential buyers to a solution for the issue. As long as people know it's something that can be addressed, and that it can happen with any Airstream, it won't be so intimidating.

We have other issues with the trailer (dents and dings), and it is already priced very aggressively, so I don't think this will discourage people who would be interested in this trailer. Giving it a good stripping and polishing, once a few dings are worked out, would make it look very nice.
Believe me I speak from experience.
Treating it won't make it look any better it's not meant to.
Stopping the spread, that's the important thing.

Bob
🇺🇸

Untreated it will end like this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8082C17C-0D32-4F0C-9103-6D5D73F71168.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	404549  
Old 09-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #12
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:
Believe me I speak from experience.
Treating it won't make it look any better it's not meant to.
Stopping the spread, that's the important thing.

Bob
🇺🇸

Untreated it will end like this...
Yeah, I have seen similar pictures in other posts. Thankfully in this case it's mostly the little squiggles in the middle of panels, as opposed to being at the edge of panels or hinges or frames.

It seems the best approach is to strip the clear coat, since it's already compromised, and polish. Then, decide whether simply leave polished and wax, or reapply some sort of clear coat.

Personally it seems leaving it polished and simply waxing makes more sense, to avoid this or similar situation in the future...
Old 09-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswell View Post
Yeah, I have seen similar pictures in other posts. Thankfully in this case it's mostly the little squiggles in the middle of panels, as opposed to being at the edge of panels or hinges or frames.

It seems the best approach is to strip the clear coat, since it's already compromised, and polish. Then, decide whether simply leave polished and wax, or reapply some sort of clear coat.

Personally it seems leaving it polished and simply waxing makes more sense, to avoid this or similar situation in the future...
Are you not selling it? Have you priced a strip & polish?

I doubt if you will make up the 4-5k it may cost for the strip & polish.

Good Luck

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #14
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
Quote:
Are you not selling it? Have you priced a strip & polish?

I doubt if you will make up the 4-5k it may cost for the strip & polish.

Good Luck

Bob
🇺🇸
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Yes, it is being sold, and potential buyers will be informed that the solution to the issue is to have it stripped and polished. It is already priced very low, so it will be up to the buyer to handle, if they choose to do so.

Thanks for your input both here and in the numerous other threads on the topic, most helpful...