Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Coating on the exterior of modern Airstreams

I've searched this forum and the internet in general for information on the chemical nature of the coating that is now used on Airstream exterior aluminum. As I understand it, it is not a clear coat and that starting in about 2000 Airstream started using precoated panels from Alcoa. I checked my manual (2006 Bambi 19') and it gives no information. This topic must have been discussed on the forum previously, but all I can find is material on the old clear coat finishes. Any information would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

George
Tucson

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatfield View Post
I've searched this forum and the internet in general for information on the chemical nature of the coating that is now used on Airstream exterior aluminum. As I understand it, it is not a clear coat and that starting in about 2000 Airstream started using precoated panels from Alcoa. I checked my manual (2006 Bambi 19') and it gives no information. This topic must have been discussed on the forum previously, but all I can find is material on the old clear coat finishes. Any information would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

George
Tucson
George.

Sorry, but what you found is all there is, NOTHING!

I can't find out either, and I am a dealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
There is a little description of the Alcoa material in post #2060 in the huge "corrosion on new trailers" thread. The poster called it Alcoa Bright Versatrim 3004-H18. This post was informative to me.

I understand it is a longer lasting coating and is more environmentally friendly. It does provide raw edges where filliform corrosion to migrate under the coating. This requires routine maintenance by Airstream owners to mitigate the chance of corrosion.

I'll bet it is an Alcoa exclusive process where detailed recipe information is closely guarded.

The clear coat on my 86 had weathered off over the years causing the trailer to look pretty bad. Stripping and polishing was a poor man's way of regaining a better appearance.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Could it be a fluorcarbon coating?

I found this video from 2011 which discusses the construction of Airstreams.

Near the beginning of the presentation the exterior coating on the aluminum is described as a "fluorocarbon" coating. A little Googling using fluorocarbon and Alcoa came up with several references to Kynar 500 or Hylar 5000 which are PVDF polymers. These are polymers of polyvinylidene floride

Polyvinylidene fluoride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alcoa does use this polymer as a coating on some of their building materials. Two products used by Alcoa are Kynar 500 and Hylar 5000. Interesting reading.

"For over 45 years, finishes based on Kynar 500® PVDF resin have helped protect commercial, industrial, and residential buildings around the world. Kynar 500® is a special grade of PVDF resin used by licensed industrial paint manufacturers as the base resin in long-life coatings for aluminum, galvanized steel, and aluminized steel. Applications include metal roofing and siding, window and door frames, curtain wall and other miscellaneous metal trim and components."

"Hylar® 5000 HG is a higher gloss PVDF base resin used in the formulation of long-life architectural coating systems for metal elements of residential, institutional, commercial and industrial building types."

Could PVDF be the mysterious coating on our modern Airstreams? If they don't use it, maybe they should. PVDF polymers are UV and weather resistant.

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks ghatfield, excellent research. Very interesting. I wonder why Airstream is reluctant to brag about their improved coating? If it is confirmed as a PVDF type coating, I would think it could be advertised as "long lasting" and better than the spray on clear coat of the past. A major Airstream improvement.

David
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
What we have found is akzo nobel has been providing Alcoa with the "clear coat". The coating is supposedly a pvdf (polyvinylidine flouride). All I know is it is extremely durable. We have only been able to remove it with heat so far if that let's you know how strong it is.
pscharff94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I have some surface scratches on both of my trailers, and have had no success in polishing them out. A local dealer has told me that they have found nothing that works, and a high quality body shop gave it a test try and also failed.

What the heck is this stuff, and can scratches be polished out??
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
As long as they are in the coating they can be buffed out. If they are all the way through they can't be for obvious reasons. Light scuffs or brush scratches are decently easy to get out. We've messed around with some Nuvite products Nupol and Nupower at the alumafandango rally in Oregon And had good luck on brush scratches. I used a rotory buffer with a wool pad on a slower speed. Careful not to get the coating too hot as you can melt it off. Then use some type of random orbital to take any swirl marks out. Post a pic of your scratches so we can get a better idea of what you're working on.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I've removed quite a few minor clearcoat "surface" scratches using 3M products...

Green & yellow by hand, (following the horizontal grain on our 2002), with a microfiber cloth, blue, very carefully, with a random orbital on a foam pad and finally a wax or sealer with foam applicator and MF removal cloth.

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, be VERY careful not to burn thru....better a slight blemish than an area without the Alcoa coating.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
[/QUOTE]..better a slight blemish than an area without the Alcoa coating.
[/QUOTE]

Akzo coating
Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
..better a slight blemish than an area without the Alcoa applied Akzo coating.
[/QUOTE]

Akzo coating [/QUOTE]

....corrected.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Haha just busting some chops. I have an article from airstream that gives the history of the metal and coatings from the beginning of time. I don't know how to post pdf attachments here but if anyone wants it I'd be happy to email it to you. Shoot me an email at pscharff@nuvitechemical.com or pm me ur email
Old 03-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi pscharff94. You have a rather famous e-mail address. I might be you can help Airstreamers with coatings, and polishing.

I'm interested in your article. I have a little info on all the different grades of aluminum Airstream used through the years, but not on the coatings. My 66 still had some coating left on it. My 86 coating pretty much burned off in the sun and looked pretty bad.

Nuvite became Universal Photonics? I ordered a pound of F-7 directly from them in Brooklyn as all the other suppliers were out. The person on the phone said they had moved the factory to Hicksville. Maybe that's why Nuvite products went scarce? Anyway, I finally received my F7 last week.

I hope you find Air Forums interesting and continue to provide good information.

David
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Hmmmm. The more you guys educate me on the modern coatings, the less I mind my scratches!
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Yes David, we did get acquired by Universal Photonics. We are still called Nuvite Chemical but we are in a much better position. The days of long awaited orders and mysterious back orders is over. Now orders will go out same day if they are placed before 1pm. I attached the article To an email. Your 66 should have the plasticoat and 86 would've had a little tougher coating on it. Did you polish the 86? It is a 3003/4 series aluminum that has a controlled mill finish that polishes out quite nice with the f9.*
Old 03-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'm hijacking this thread on the latest Airstream coatings, aren't I? Well, the 2000 and newer Airstreams are not candidates for polishing. But this new coating will keep the Airstream looking factory fresh for a long, long time. The only problem noted is the filiform corrosion at the uncoated edges noted in other threads. But his is mitigated with proper maintenance.

I'm happy Nuvite is back up and running. I admit I was sceptical when the gentleman who said all orders will be shipped by the end of February. But by golly that is exactly what happened. We vintage Airstream polishers like our Nuvite! And some of us have found alternatives during the shortage that are almost as good.

I noticed the vintage airplane Harrison Ford crash landed had a polished fuselage. I was thinking Nuvite when I saw the news clip. We pray for his full recovery.

I stripped and polished our 86 Limited as it was looking bad with the faded clearcoat. Being very inexperienced, I compounded with F7. F9 would have saved some time. I found Cyclo with F7 pretty effective.

Now back to modern Airstream coatings...

David
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Haha I'm sure we can talk polishing for a second without getting booted the new coating is very tough and yes filaform (sp) still is a problem. You cannot strip the coating without 350° plus heat or known carcinogens. I will tell you....NOT FOR LONG we are working on a way to efficiently strip this new coating off to polish. We are getting close.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Also you can use a clear coat pen or clear nail polish on your seams and edges to protect them. Alcoa coats the metal and sends it to airstream. Airstream then cuts the metal to their application. This shears the coating on the edges exposing bare metal. For whatever reason they never reapply a coating on the edges. That's why the filaform (sp) is most prevalent around windows, doors, and lights.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Does anyone know if this coating can be purchased as a liquid for touch up purposes? I have scratched mine, very minor, but I am concerned about the area around it eventually corroding or pealing.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
We're getting conflicting information now. Some at airstream say it's akzo some say it's ppg. Thought I'd give an update haha. It's still a roll on pre coated aluminum from alcoa. Generally 3003/4 aluminum alloy. They keep the identity locked away without a key apparently haha. Not literally of course...

Tags
clear coat