Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Encinitas , California
2005 Airstream License Bracket Replacement Installation

Hello,

I just picked up a new license plate bracket to replace my rusted out bracket. The part is #500053 as per Airstream but I noticed there are no instructions for install provided.

I know this may come off as a stupid question to the more experienced handy individuals out there, however are there any links or videos anybody could suggest that could walk me through this install process?

Thank you for considering!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR HOLDER.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	395036  
Singlefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
First disconnect the batteries....then....

There are two screws on the bottom that take the shell off the base. Once off, you twist the bulb out, remove the two screws that hold the base to the skin. Pull away assembly from skin, may take some finessing since it's been there for 16 years, wires should follow assembly out and tape factory wire side to outer skin (this is so you don't accidentally let the wires slide back in where you have a hard time getting them back), re-cut splice where factory harness meets original fixture, remove old fixture. Clean area well, put a coat of wax on area.

To install, get some shrink tube cut a size longer than the overall exposed wires, and put on factory side- after you strip insulation off the wires on both factory harness/supply lines and the new fixture.

Connect wires together very tightly (or solder it after initial connection), and put a very slight amount of dielecric grease on the exposed wires (not a lot, just a coating). Slide shrink tube over exposed connection, heat shrink tube to tightly cover exposed wires.

Before putting back, reconnect battery and test. Work, go to next step, do workie, troubleshoot.

Where wires immediately go through skin, wrap some electrical tape around it to protect it from contact with the skin, take off tape you placed on factory supply wires earlier and feed wires back into trailer.

Get some silkaflex (or equiv **but not silicone**) place a dab on the holes on the skin (not a ton), push new screws through base and place some silkaflex (or equiv) on the screw head in body. Screw the screws into the same hole, tighten, but don't go crazy tight, the silkaflex will help seal the screw holes and help prevent backout and the foam gasket once tightened will do the rest.

Replace bulb, replace cover done.

That should do it!

PS- Don't forget to mount the license plate bracket the same way it was mounted with the old one...make a note before putting it all back together and replicate that with the new.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Encinitas , California
PanAmerican I want to thank you for taking the time to write that up and guide me through this. I appreciate it and will give it a go! Thank you very much!
Old 05-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Encinitas , California
Hello panamerican question please.

I connected the one red wire from the original wiring to the red wire on the new replacement part and soldered them together.

I did not yet add a very slight amount of dielecric grease on the exposed wires or slide shrink tube over exposed connection yet.

I reconnected the battery and then plugged the cord into my truck in which all blinkers and brake light work. The license plate light does not. What should I do to troubleshoot? Did I do something wrong? Thank you!