Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
13-Panel Exterior End Cap Fabrication

Hey all. I'm hoping to get some advice from someone that may have replaced damaged 65' exterior end caps with the 50's style 13-panel. Any templates or approximate measurements out there? The middle one looks like an even width along the whole length. Are the others the same and just overlapping, thus appear to be wedges, or are they actually cut as wedges? Is the bottom side of the wedge 90* and the top side less than that, or are both sides about equal taper/wedge angle?

The front end cap appears vertical on the 50's and my 65' so doable; however, the rear endcap is angled on the 50's Airstreams, but straight vertical on my 65'. Can a 13-panel retrofit be done on a 65' with a straight vertical rear? If so, bonus question, any whaletail templates or measurements out there?

Reason: I've got a dented front end cap (effects two pieces), tons of deep scratches front and rear, some delamination of the alcad on the edges, and serious corrosion/pitting/delamination of alclad all around the old AIRSTREAM tags. I'm spending the time to reskin the whole trailer, so the extra work of doing the end caps to make it complete is not an issue for me, especially during COVID with all the time at home.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you may have!
65TW is offline   Reply With Quote