Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
New 75th Anniversary 19' Safari

I'm curious if anyone else has seen the new 19' Special edition safari - the one with the round porthole window on the door?

Gigi and I went into one at a dealership in Western PA last week - it wasn't even quite unpacked yet. Honestly, I thought it was stunning. I had liked the CCD, but felt like none of the "furniture" would wear all that well. This new model - wow. Wood cabinets that looked like they would look better in 10 years, a layout I really liked (speaking as someone who lives most of the year traveling in an Argosy Minuet). I felt the layout worked very well, even though it is a small camper. The 19' CCD makes me want a bigger camper. I reminded me much more of the 50's campers I've seen in good shape.

Of course, the down side - MSRP of around $60,000. That's $17,000 more than the CCD, and I think $26,000 more than the "regular" Safari. Not sure I can stomach that... Has anyone ever inquired about buying a new shell, without any of the interior being done?
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Airstream use to do that way back in the day, but I think the lawyers made short order of that with lawsuits due to folks not conforming to codes, etc.

I agree though, it'd be cool to have a shell to play with....but with costs being what they are with the cost of goods going sky high due to transportation costs, the shell could be a pretty penny.

I too loved some of the interior features and material selections they used.

The 19' 75th is WAY out of my budget range, but someone on the forum pointed out the guy to designed them and me a one or two others bought the outdoor screen guard. I installed it about a week ago. It's about as close as I'll come to getting the whole thing.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
The 19' 75th is WAY out of my budget range, but someone on the forum pointed out the guy to designed them and me a one or two others bought the outdoor screen guard. I installed it about a week ago. It's about as close as I'll come to getting the whole thing.
Hehe - I love it. That camper has made me rethink of some ways to remake my little Argosy. (speaking of - www.emachineshop.com - you might enjoy it. Looks like a way to get a lot of great things made. I use them some now for my business.)

In the end, the best thing about my current camper: it's paid for. I just spent the weekend sleeping in the middle of Chicago (in a good neighborhood), and had no hotel, no camper payment... I do love this life.
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A bad day camping beats a great day working!

I'm with ya...and in only about 100 more payments, I'll be able to say the same thing!

I'll have to check out that company you've linked. Who knows, might start a hobby.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote