RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
first view

Thanks for the encouragement, Towdaddy. It's a funny thing about pictures: one the one hand you might think folks would tire of yet-another-slew-of-pics, but everyone keeps asking for them them.
Not to fret: I'll be posting some when I have 'em. And I figure out how to make thumbnails

Ah! Here's my first view of the coach:
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA182410.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	27184
I'm waffling about whether I prefer it w/o the safari graphics or if I wish it had them. It completely slipped my mind when ordering, probably because I figured it just came with o the SE+LS packages.

Carolyn prefers it without, so that's the best answer for me, really.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Cool!

Can't wait to see more... as far as the stripes, I like them without too!
Welcome to the "family!"
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Beautiful!

We're Airstreamers! We never tire of seeing AS pictures. It is beautiful and SHINY. Very happy for you. I like it better without graphics, as well.
Happy Trails,
Mrs. Towdaddy (Vickie)
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
5cats -- I've not been wild about the Safari graphics, nor even the Excella or swoosh graphics of the last couple decades.

Good friends are planning on the 20' Safari. I like the floor plan and how the door is well under the awning and will be pretty dry in a rain.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmark
I'm taking delivery around 10/25/06 of a 2007 25 FB Safari SE. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for on our walkthru check at the dealer?
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Congratulations Ken...somehow I missed you above 5cats and wanted to welcome you to the forum and commend you on an outstanding choice of Airstreams

Between you and 5cats we expect LOTS of beautiful new shiny pictures...enjoy and please tell us how you got that hat to stay on your adorable doggies head for that pic in your profile!

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:53 AM   #26
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
delayed delivery

This past weekend we went to the dealer to slog through the paperwork, and we had a chance poke around the coach for a little bit, turn some knobs, etc. They even hooked up a generator for us and cranked the A/C (turns out it's the 13,500 BTU unit, not 11k like I thought).

We took the opportunity to note a couple "fix-it" items, like neither fan-tastic fan was reversable This was a great surprise to the dealership owner and crew...and us.

Anyway, the tech department called to schedule my delivery date: November 3rd! I had to ask several times if we really had to let our coach sit there another two weeks before we could take it home?! ("yes", each time).

Worse, I was told that the coach is being moved into storage immediately, so I can't even go there and conduct any further informal inspections while it sits there not being PDI'd or anything (I asked!). *rats* What a great opportunity to identify things that could be fixed before delivery -- missed.

Oh well, there's no point in trying to pressure the techs into rushing the job, either -- we'd prefer everything to work the first time. Guess it gives us more time to prepare a checklist...

-jd.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
This past weekend we went to the dealer to slog through the paperwork, and we had a chance poke around the coach for a little bit, turn some knobs, etc. They even hooked up a generator for us and cranked the A/C (turns out it's the 13,500 BTU unit, not 11k like I thought).

We took the opportunity to note a couple "fix-it" items, like neither fan-tastic fan was reversable This was a great surprise to the dealership owner and crew...and us.

Anyway, the tech department called to schedule my delivery date: November 3rd! I had to ask several times if we really had to let our coach sit there another two weeks before we could take it home?! ("yes", each time).

Worse, I was told that the coach is being moved into storage immediately, so I can't even go there and conduct any further informal inspections while it sits there not being PDI'd or anything (I asked!). *rats* What a great opportunity to identify things that could be fixed before delivery -- missed.

Oh well, there's no point in trying to pressure the techs into rushing the job, either -- we'd prefer everything to work the first time. Guess it gives us more time to prepare a checklist...

-jd.
I have two fantastic fans and they are not reversable either. The manual says if you want air intake open the opposite window from the fan you are using.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think it was somewhere around 2003 that Airstream starting putting in all outtake vents only, something to do with the rear fan being too close to the bathroom exhaust and not wanting to pull that air in. You can get what you need from Fantastic Vent to make the fans reverse. I would like to get an intake for the front at least. Some hot days or nights while you are pulled next to running diesels as in a rest stop, you don't want to pull in air from the sides.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think it was somewhere around 2003 that Airstream starting putting in all outtake vents only, something to do with the rear fan being too close to the bathroom exhaust and not wanting to pull that air in. You can get what you need from Fantastic Vent to make the fans reverse. I would like to get an intake for the front at least. Some hot days or nights while you are pulled next to running diesels as in a rest stop, you don't want to pull in air from the sides.
That's a good point about diesel exhaust. I'll have to look into getting a reverse switch. Thanks.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi fellow San Diegan jd.
I am following your AS purchasing experience with great interest.
2006 F-250 PSD has been purchased and rarin’ to tow.
Now it’s on to ordering that Airstream.
Quality dealer prep is an important factor…
Fantastic Fan issue should not have been "a great surprise to the dealership".
It was discussed on these forums last year…
See following link on how to get that reversible switch for your fans:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/fantastic-vent-sticking-16767-2.html?highlight=%22reversable+switch%22
Congratulations on your purchase, Good Luck with prep and please keep us posted!

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We purchased a 25' Safari LE and had graphics similar to the SE put on our silver GMC. Other than an issue with the satellite radio antenna installation, the Revolution crew did an excellent job prepping our coach.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #32
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
good dealer experience so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Hi fellow San Diegan jd.
I am following your AS purchasing experience with great interest.
2006 F-250 PSD has been purchased and rarin’ to tow.
Now it’s on to ordering that Airstream.
Quality dealer prep is an important factor…
Fantastic Fan issue should not have been "a great surprise to the dealership".
It was discussed on these forums last year…
[...]Congratulations on your purchase, Good Luck with prep and please keep us posted!

Bill
Hi Bill,
Well, I have to say so far the folks at RevolutionRV in Santee have been:
  • willing to make us a good deal (we took it!)
  • very courteous and pleasant
  • very responsive to my e-mail and phone calls
  • making us feel very happy
We're only disappointed with our timing, in that the technicians got swamped with a load of new airstreams along with ours. Honestly, we're trying to be good little Jedis...
On the Fan-tastic Vents:
I know the folks at RevolutionRV are aware of various RV forums (they suggested we might want to check some out), but I don't think they are particularly on top of this particular one. The issue may not be news to the technicians, but it was to the dealership owner and sales manager. They even copied the fan info sheet, detaiing the two-versus-three position switch operation, to have for future customer questions. They even noted on the Due Bill to verify the reverse capability and replace if necessary.

I talked to Rodney at the vent company just now: he said he's send me the reverse switch kits + wiring schematics, no problem, if the dealer our doesn't take care of them first. I passed the contact info on to the folks at RevolutionRV; one way or another the vent issue will quickly go away as a minor adjustment

Looks like this is turning into a "positive dealer (and vendor) experience" post!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #33
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
T - 43 hours

A little update: we're less than two days away from the delivery/inspection ordeal. I had a call from "Trish", the technician manager at Revolution RV in Santee, to say they aquired the Fantastic Vent reverse switch kits and they are already installed.

me:

Now where's that inspection checklist I'm supposed to have made by now...? -jd.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
That’s good news… and a good sign… so far!
I’m rootin’ for ya jd…
Thanks for the post!

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #35
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Take lots of photos of 'The' day.
Will be great fun later...for us too.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
A little update: we're less than two days away from the delivery/inspection ordeal.
I bet you are soooo excited. I couldn't sleep before we picked ours up. Have fun!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #37
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
I bet you are soooo excited. I couldn't sleep before we picked ours up. Have fun!
This will be a loooonnnnnggg work day, for sure: T -24 hours...

Sure wish I could have gone over it at my leisure while it's been sitting around for over two-and-a-half weeks. Just about near frantic contemplating all the stuff to check during my walkthrough. Guess it's like a new house walkthrough: everyone knows you're buying it, and barring any catastrophic failures everyone knows you're taking it today. So the walkthrough just identifies any minor "fixits" that will be resolved...someday?

This is the bit that gets me all anxious, 'cause I got me a special fine-tooth comb just for tomorrow

Stay tuned...
-jd.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
This is the bit that gets me all anxious, 'cause I got me a special fine-tooth comb just for tomorrow
...and take your magnifying glass. Make sure you try everything and have them explain to you all the details about how things work. Here are some things to get you started:

Open all vents
Start all fans
Open and inspect all drawers and cabinets
Test all fold out beds/gauchos/dinettes
Inspect upholstry(both sides) and curtains
Test all 120 electric outlets
Run AC and Heat Pump
Run Furnace
Check all lights(interior and exterior)
Check hot water heater
Run water (kitchen,shower,bath) from storage tank and water connection
Test water drains
Test the systems monitor
Check the TV antenna
Check the stereo
Test the stove/oven/microwave
The refrigerator should be on. It takes overnight to bring to temperature.
Inspect doors and windows
Check for any imperfections (interior and exterior)
Inspect Awnings
Inspect hitch
Inspect tires
Test black/gray water drains (if possible)
Test breakaway switch
Connect to TV and check lights and brakes
If you don't understand how something works...Ask!
ENJOY!

Remember you have a 2 year warranty so you can always take it back. I know I forgot something....hmmmm. Oh well, somebody else will probably pipe up if I did. The important thing is to have fun and enjoy your new AS...and good luck sleeping tonight!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #39
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thumbs up

slowolf, that list is excellent. THANK YOU!
-jd.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
5cats? 5cats? Anybody there? 5Cats must have picked up the new AS. Guess we'll have to wait until he returns to earth to hear how it went!