Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Uh oh, it's on it's way.

Just ordered a 25' Safari SE FB--twin w/ stratus interior--from Toscano RV. We're even greener than we realized! Loving the basic A/S design, and relying on an obviously old reputation for quality, we didn't do our homework and found out about all the factory quality problems after the fact. So now what do we do? Just hope for the best? We know we have a reliable dealer, but will really be dismayed if we have to spend time having problems fixed before we take ownership. But thanks for all the advice.We'll take all that we've learned on the forums, and will stand fast. We remain optimistic. I think.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Well, I just happen to think that you are a highly refined judge of trailer flesh and have superb judgement and discrimination. We love our Airstream and I believe you will too. For many reasons (electric hitch jack, higher BTU A/C, spare tire) I sure hope you ordered the LS option! Did you get the queen or twin?

Our dealer had a good reputation and prepared the trailer well. With some very minor blemishes noted, it was ready to use right away. We used it last fall with no big complaints. A few things developed this spring and summer -- still minor. My list grew to five ... and then seven, eight and nine. All minor mind you but I enjoyed our responsive dealer when I drove the 275 miles back there last month for warranty repairs. The only thing we should have to pay for is a fourth wire rack that I want in the slideout pantry.

It did take a fair shakedown to start adding up what needed to be done. I can say this only because there were no major system faults from the start. A few cabinetry issues seemed to come up as road vibrations brought everything to its settled final position. We really can't trailer from November through March, so I'd say about 4-5 months of actual use was under the belt before I felt I had a handle on this. But I'm happy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations! You are forearmed with knowlege and that is preparedness. I know exactly how you feel. You have the final walk through to test and check as many things out as you can possibly do at that time BEFORE you sign the papers, see that it is acceptable to you. More than likely you will be so happy to see it it will take your breath away and you will minimize the blemishes and glitzes. It's your Airstream! Once you find any additional adjustments necessary you have your dealer, other dealers, and then the factory. You have two years to work on getting it perfect. You will. They have to address it all. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Don't get too caught up in worrying about quality issues. You will have them, they are manufactured by humans. Toscano IS a good dealer by all accounts, I do know a little about them. As has been stated here, do a thorough walkthrough, take notes as you go. This is for two reasons. You want to document any fixes that need to be made. You also will want to write down any instructions or how-to's as you get oriented. You may think you'll remember how to operate all the things they're telling you, but probably not.
Also remember you have the remainder of the warranty period to get things shipshape. Once again, start a list. You will not want to return the trailer for each and every repair, wait until you have several, then make your appointment. Unless of course it is an item that truly affects the enjoyment or safety of the trailer.
I expect that your enjoyment will exceed any apprehension you may have. Remember, those who posted severe QC issues were a minority. Others, (I was one) posted about common problems relating to trim or other minor issues. While they DO need to be fixed, they do not affect your ability to enjoy a camping trip. Good luck.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
uh oh

i appreciate the encouragement. We got the twin configuration, thinking it will give us a little more storage and floor space. And we did add the LS pckg.along with the SE--it seems like a user-friendly design (love the panos on both ends) and will hopefully give us plenty of nooks and crannies for our 3 small dogs (2 Norfolk terriers and one little mutt.) Now we're wondering where we're going to put bikes and golf clubs...Not the worst things to worry about these days.
Can't wait for the day when we're pulling our new A/S into an alpine boondocking site...I just hope it happens without needing to have too many problems corrected.
In the meantime, I'm stopping by the So Cal rally this weekend and hope to gain more insight.
Thanks again,
Janetb
Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

We have the same set up and love the twin beds, it's more open and great for the doggies. Ernie our JR especially likes the end table between the beds which we pad up and he hangs out there when he's not under our covers bed hopping!

Regarding quality control, we just got ours and have taken it out only once but so far so good, it's well made and beautiful. You also have a great dealer which is key! We purchased from Southwest Coaches in Irvine and they are also top rated for sales and service so there should be no worries, and we are absolutely in love with this Airstream!

Congratulations and enjoy, and send some pics along especially with your doggies...they will love their new digs as does ours!

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ernie's-new-digs.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	27180   Click image for larger version

Name:	nap4ernie.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	27181  

Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Uh oh

OK, you've all done an excellent job of calming us down, and we will put worries about QC on the back burner for now, but will take our time and make plenty of notes and lists when we go for delivery.
Loved your photo gallery Barbara, and wish you were going to be at the rally this weekend so I could visit a real live version of our new purchase. (And see Ernie!)
It's going to be fun to track down some of the helpful folks on the forum that will be attending, although I'm just passing through on my way to Santa Barbara. This wait is so exciting that I can't resist the detour just to get a little "fix" on the side. My poor husband will have to enjoy it vicariously when I get home.
Also want to learn a little about hitches, generators, bbqs-- you name it. Should I just cruise around begging for tours?
Take care and--for those in CA--enjoy this gorgeous fall weather!
(I know, the rest of the country is littered with golds and reds, but we take what we can get...)
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
wish you were going to be at the rally this weekend so I could visit a real live version of our new purchase. (And see Ernie! .
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
This wait is so exciting that I can't resist the detour just to get a little "fix" on the side.
...now this is funny...and so true! You are living and breathing every moment thinking about this thing till you get it...and it is just like this for all of us. This is a lifestyle purchase and it's priceless! For us (and Ernie of course) it is a place to live in the moment, something I (we) rarely do when at home as there is much to do, so the AS is a very special retreat. I can thank my husband for this one as he picked out our first Bambi 2 years ago, and from now and forever we will remain happily married to our AS lifestyle whenever we get the chance.

Enjoy the rally and learn as much as you can, would love to meet up at another one but we are home with daughter and new baby grandson #2 so are homeward bound for a bit. Will enjoy the peace and quiet of the ocean waves in our AS real soon though

Take some pics and share the joy when it comes!

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Smile

A new little boy! That's something that could bump even an A/S rally off the calendar...Enjoy the precious time, and maybe we'll see you on the road.
Janet
Old 10-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum and Airstreaming... Just a couple of thoughts... When we bought our first Airstream someone on the forum suggested that we bring a video cam and video the walkthrough. That was very useful in that we were new to camping with a trailer. We referred back to it several times after because there is so much information in that hour or so that it take to go through. A couple of other thoughts.. We tow with a pickup truck with a cap on the back and we purchased a Thule bike rack which is a bar that goes across the bed of the truck. This keeps the bikes nice and dry when driving in rain. I usually put the golf clubs in the wardrobe which does not leave much room for clothes but you gotta have priorities ! Good luck it all seems a bit overwhelming at first but it doesn't take long to catch on.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote