RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
The Adventure Begins.....

Next weekend we head North to Ohio to pickup our new (2007) 20' Safari SE LS. I've got bloodshot eyes from reading my way almost to the end-of-the-internet, and a wife that is tired of sweating her way through the hot RV lots here in Florida.....it's time to do the deed! I wanted to keep our silver '04 Dodge quad cab, 1/2 ton, with 345 hp hemi and tow package because, quite frankly, I really like the truck. So, we opted for an AS that the truck should be able to handle and still be comfortable for just the two of us. I have equipped the TV with a new Prodigy controller, and have a Reese 1200/12,000 equalizer left over from a previous project. After picking up the AS, we plan to spend a couple of nights at the AS factory campground to checkout the rig (and hopefully have any serious repairs taken care of). We have no nearby AS dealers here in our neck-of-the-woods, and will have to rely on other dealerships for serious warranty work (I will probably handle the small stuff). If any of you "experienced" folks would like to pass along some last-minute suggestions.....I would certainly welcome them.
Thanks in advance,
Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Congrats on the new rig! I'm sure you will have lots and lots of great times with it. As far as suggestions. Make a check list for setting up and for getting ready to tow. They really do help at first.

Visit my photography page
and the painting page

https://rooseveltfineart.com

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
You are going to love the 20'. Remind yourself there's a trailer back there when you're towing- you won't even know it's there!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Congrats Chief!! We are also close to picking up our new AS, an 08 Safari 27FB. It sure is exciting isn't it? I'm sure you'll get lots of help and opinions here today. This forum is the best! Good luck and get some pics posted asap.
Brian and Donna
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
....continue the adventure

There are all sorts of day trips available while at camping at the Terra-Port at Jackson Center.

I was surprised by the deciduous forests and cave country SouthEast of Columbus. The Hocking Hills area will probably have a good bit of color while you are up there.
Geologic Wonders at Ohio State Parks - Caves, Cliffs

The Air Force Museum is an easy drive South of JC in the Dayton area.
National Museum of the USAF - Home

I envy you this trip - what a great time of year to visit this area.

Oh, on the trailer - if you have a Zip Dee - and you have never extended one before - make sure someone demonstrates the various locks on the rollup and the proper procedure for deploying the awning. The Zip Dees are awesome, but not necessarily user friendly without instructions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Thanks to everyone for the kind replies.....we're getting excited! Dennis, I really appreciate the link to Ohio State Parks. I spent 30 yrs. in the Air Force and was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB twice. We are overniting in Dayton on the way up, in order to visit the museum......not sure if it still is, but the museum was previously the #1 tourist attraction in Ohio. We've had a packing checklist going for a couple of weeks.....trying to take enough creature comforts for the first week of camping. My wonderful wife is now getting into the idea of rving. For the past five years she has gone along on Harley adventures.....and, you can't pack much on a motorcycle. This will be a real step up in luxury for her! The bike is being sold today.
Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Chief, congratulations on your new Safari. It sounds like you are planning well, staying a couple days in Terraport to give yourself time to become familiar with the trailer's operation and to let any "oopses" show up for prompt repair. Have you noticed the rally information on our home page? You might enjoy our Can Opener '08 rally the first week of January at Top Sail Hill Preserve on the gulf. It's the second year for it; the first year was a marvelous gathering of Airstreamers from Florida and beyond. Hope we meet you there. Have a safe homecoming with the new baby! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote